Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC 2005
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
OK, this is really long winded, but wanted to let you all know the 'results'. rather than reinvent the wheel, this is my welcome speech with some stuff added. Pardon the fuzzy format, did a cut and paste from Word.

Hi. My name is Howard, and I’m an alco.... oops, wrong meeting.

HI! Welcome to WCC 2005

Three years ago I was a happy guy. Kids grown, house almost paid for, business going well, life was good. I drove an SUV. Never got around to canceling my subscription to Road and Track, but it’s arrival was not that big of a deal.

Then a ‘friend’ calls and says, “Hey, didn’t you used to race a Shelby? There’s a Cobra club event at the track this weekend. Wanna go and watch?” Oops, wrong question. Well, wrong answer, anyway, and soon we were on our way out to one of the most desolate places on earth, Willow Springs.

As luck would have it, that April day brought perfect weather and the cars were beautiful. The smells of hydrocarbons mixed with brake and tire dust were intoxicating. Every driver came off the track with a huge grin, and I realized my addiction may have been in remission, but it was never cured. One especially nice 914 3.6 really caught my eye. Never owned one of these ugly ducks, but always liked the concept of removable top, 50/50 distribution, and two trunks.

So I perused eBay, found a 73 2.0 that looked good. Bought it sight unseen at the ‘buy it now”, and the seller delivered it a couple of days later. It was exactly as described and ran perfectly. All the right suspension goodies, street and racing wheels, tires and a roll cage. That afternoon I had the same grin, and still haven’t lost it.

That would have been the end of the story if not for finding this club. I had used the web for business, but had never gone into a BBS. After watching the wealth of knowledge, shared so freely, and the BS on this BBS, I knew it was for me. Threads on how to fix your clutch turned into political debates, name calling and dirty jokes.

Whatever you bought, you paid too much. Whatever you sold, you sold too cheap. Whatever you fixed, you did it wrong. Your religion, politics and personal hygiene were all suspect. But in the middle of all this abuse came an outpouring of help, free parts and support that still amazes me. It’s always a good place to come when you’re down.

But the depth and free sharing of knowledge goes far beyond the cars. Have a problem with your plumbing, your love life, your kids, your computer network? Just post it; the fix is on the way. Need a document translated from Mandarin to English? Easy! Thanks Jen! The club has become my internet search engine.

The WCC is when we actually meet each other and look at the cars. Enjoy yourselves! You worked pretty hard to get here.

And now, a word for our sponsors. Thank you Mercury Insurance Group. Mercury’s is paying for today’s events, including the truck from IN-N-OUT that will be making double doubles to your heart’s content. So call Mercury before you pay your next car insurance renewal. Bet they will save you some money. Oh, and call me directly if you live in California.

Craig Laughlin and Camp914. In addition to the car plaques, Craig is picking up the tab for our Sunday Night Fiesta dinner in Lancaster. Buy something from him NOW!

Auto Atlanta is buying our lunch at the track (shipping not included)
LN Engineering provided the Hats.
Streamload donated the shirts.

And gracious contributions from:
914 Appearance and Performance
Callicott Motor Sports
Mike Mueller
Peridot
Hagerty Insurance
9R Parts
Kerrys914
JWest Engineering
MSDS
SBWY
Megiuars
Mothers
Village Coffee Roaster
GTS
WEVO/Windrush Evolutions
The Howard Agency
Artechnika
Bowlsby Harness
Felix's Automotive Art and Design
Lawrence Designs
Recycler Core Company
Type4Parts
TRE Motorsports
Because of these people, a substantial portion of your entry fee will go to support to the Special Olympics athletes and their programs. A real win/win situation. Thank you all!

Next item. Lots of people have worked very hard on this, so everyone please say thanks to:

Jeroen, for doing the web stuff.
Sir Andy, for printing the programs
Alberto Banuelos for the badges and lanyards
Rob and Linda Dekker, for the Pizza party and nifty banner
Martin Jansen, for today’s Poker run
Mike Z for emceeing this afternoon
GWN7 for the fabulous chocolate 914’s
Jim Tabor for organizing the raffle and silent auction and donating so many gifts
Joe Sharp for making the pieces fit for Sunday’s car wash, car show, and tech
Otto for just being Otto
Alberto Banuelos and Carlos Molina for Sunday Night dinner and Karaoke party
Melba for the CD’s
Slits for being Slits
And to the beautiful and gracious Marianne, Suzanne, Lisa and Melba for handing out the goodie bags.

And special thanks to Andy Ritter for taking charge of the track day at Willow. What a Guy!!!

Tell them you appreciate their work, and don’t be bashful offering to help! I’m sure I missed someone, so please accept my apologies. It took a shitload of people to pull this off!

Your printed program has an overview of the events. Please take a look at that and the maps, so you won’t miss any of the action. Events start at specific times, so be there if you want to participate. For today:

We’ll be leaving here to take a twisty road tour and poker rally. If you don’t want to participate, just take the 101 to Kanan Road to get to Paramount Ranch. I’ll be there and we’ll find something to do. Or just hit the outlet mall across the street of if you want to do something really scary. Just try to be at Paramount noonish for the festivities.

If you are going...The roads we will use are inherently dangerous with severe drop offs. The Highway Patrol is out there with radar guns and a zero tolerance attitude. There may be bicycle riders, rice racers, water and rocks on the road. Please, wait for the track events to prove how fast you are. Let me put it this way, if you sail off the road and don’t kill yourself, our friendly staff will finish the job. Oh, and adult beverages? Not at Paramount, Not at the track.

Final Tally
Since this event was thrown for charity, I believe a full disclosure is in order.

12,276 Received from entry fees
6,900 Received from sponsors
900 Silent Auction

Total Income: 20,176

Expenses:

509 Paramount Ranch
400 Got Cones hats
1153 Bucket hats
1238 Shirts
560 Emergency Med services track
800 Corner workers track
2646 Track Rental (including track insurance)
1266 Sunday night dinner
200 Badges and Lanyards
500 Friday Night pizza and drinks
235 WCC Banner
50 Wristbands and stickers for track
150 CD’s
450 Refunds
1786 IN-N-OUT lunch at Paramount
400 License Plates
838 Track lunch and radio rentals
383 Non Track event insurance
188 Kazoos

Total Expense: $13,752

Net Profit: $6424

There are expenses (shipping, follow up bills, etc.) that are not yet known. Likewise, income from sales of leftover goods is still in the works. I have decided to donate $5000 to Special Olympics. Any amount left over when all the $$ and expenses are known will be dedicated to a scholarship fund for WCC 2006.

Thank you all for being a part of this event. Best party I ever attended!
JoeSharp
AAAAOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif Joe
P.S. Howard YOU ARE THE MAN (and you knwo how I heat typing in caps)
ThinAir
Thanks again from the 914 community for all the work that you and that long list of folks did to put on this event. Just having the WCC benefits all of us even if we couldn't be there.

pray.gif pray.gif
CptTripps
Howard: Thanks so much for ALL your hard work and dedication to WCC-05. It was appreciated, and enjoyed by so many.

That's fantastic that we got to give so much to the Special Olympics.

Who get's the tax break? biggrin.gif (j/k)
Joe Bob
Gud Job..... pray.gif
markb
QUOTE (ErnieDV @ May 6 2005, 11:04 PM)
Thanks again from the 914 community for all the work that you and that long list of folks did to put on this event. Just having the WCC benefits all of us even if we couldn't be there.

pray.gif pray.gif

agree.gif

Well done! clap.gif
grasshopper
I agree, it was a wonderful event, and you did a great job at it!
ArtechnikA
thanks for stepping up and taking on this BIG job...
Brando
The WCC05 wasn't a 914 club meet -- it was a 4-day-long 914 club party. rocking nana.gif
Howard
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 7 2005, 05:08 AM)
That's fantastic that we got to give so much to the Special Olympics.

Who get's the tax break? biggrin.gif (j/k)

Usual disclaimer. I'm not a CPA. But...

I'm writing off the entry fee and goods I gave as a charitable donation.
Aaron Cox
thank you for paying my track fee howie smilie_pokal.gif
SLITS
It was/is/always will be, the greatest party for friends both known and unknown thrown. It is the bar that succeeding endeavours will aspire to; a creation and execution of "more smiles per mile" with a modicum of assistance for a worthy cause.

Thanks for the fun!
rick 918-S
How can we thank you for doing this? pray.gif Sandy and I had a great time! rocking nana.gif mueba.gif See ya next year! aktion035.gif driving-girl.gif
Series9
Just think, next year you can have fun like the rest of us.

As far as I'm concerned, you've set the standard for all future events. smilie_pokal.gif
morph
good job howard.
188 kazoos?
my kids are still playing with em
Mrs. K
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ May 7 2005, 08:54 AM)
How can we thank you for doing this?  :worship:

wink.gif Mmmmmmm, I have an idea of how to thank Howard....maybe a good B**w J**?
Did I just type that?????
Ok, Marianne....it's up to you! biggrin.gif

Lisa cool_shades.gif
anthony
I'm writing off the entry fee and goods I gave as a charitable donation.

I think more properly it should be a marketing expense write off.
MattR
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 7 2005, 07:37 AM)
thank you for paying my track fee howie smilie_pokal.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

I had a great time, gud job for throwing the shindig together!
dekman
Elvis is dead! "Long live King Howard!" (Linda agrees). Ok...OK I'll put my car in my will for you Howard. Hey WCC 2006 in Portland, WCC 2007 in Tahoe, and WCC 2008 at Howards House! Thanks again Howard...we'll keep in touch, robert d.
Howard
I knew it. Forgot to thank 2 sponsors. Bet there are more, but here goes. Plasma Frenzy donated the beyond cool steel signs. Pictures don't really do them justice. Great garage art.

Plasma Frenzy

And Ironclad Workforce gloves. If you won a set, you know the quality here.

Ironclad
Series9
And Turtle Mountain Brewing Company. beerchug.gif
TravisNeff
I knew there was a LOT of work to put this together, but just seeing your writeup makes me see the light. Thanks for your undying efforts Howard!
andys
Howard,

I didn't sign up for the festivities, as I don't yet have a running car; YET. I did stop by the hotel in Camarillo to check out the cars, and chat with a few of the good ol 914 folks.

I have great admiration for anyone that puts in the time and effort to pull off a successful event like this. From the posts, it seems as if everyone had such a great time, and are looking forward to another one. So Howard, it's people like you AND the other organizers that deserve a great thank you.

Andy
carreraguy
Thanks again for putting it all together Howard, I worked some with Jeff Bowlsby on WCC04 so I know how much work is required! My son and I had a fantastic time at WCC05 - see you next year!
Steve
Thanks Howard!!!
I had a great time.
My Dad was totally shocked when he saw that it was a real track and not some lame autocross.
carreraguy
Thanks again for putting it all together Howard, I worked some with Jeff Bowlsby on WCC04 so I know how much work is required! My son and I had a fantastic time at WCC05 - see you next year!
jimtab
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ May 7 2005, 08:22 AM)
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ May 7 2005, 08:54 AM)
How can we thank you for doing this?  :worship:

wink.gif Mmmmmmm, I have an idea of how to thank Howard....maybe a good B**w J**?
Did I just type that?????
Ok, Marianne....it's up to you! biggrin.gif

Lisa cool_shades.gif

Are there bad ones??
Toast
Is this the article for Excelence?
happy11.gif

Great job Howard and All who helped and participated!

What a great party!

My cheeks still hurt from the permagrin. biggrin.gif
Howard
QUOTE (jimtab @ May 7 2005, 03:43 PM)
Are there bad ones??

Yup. She was wearing braces smoke.gif
redshift
What about the part where you were shootin' up some food, when up from the ground came a bubblin' crude?

M
Brent
QUOTE (Howard @ May 7 2005, 04:54 PM)
QUOTE (jimtab @ May 7 2005, 03:43 PM)
Are there bad ones??

Yup. She was wearing braces smoke.gif

Thats why Tom Cruise wears the clear plastics. blink.gif
grasshopper
QUOTE (Howard @ May 7 2005, 09:52 AM)
Plasma Frenzy donated the beyond cool steel signs. Pictures don't really do them justice. Great garage art.

LOL. you did a great job displaying those Z. dont bend any more lol2.gif
JohnM
I should have taken an instructor out on the track with me at Willows. I won’t let that valuable opportunity go by next time. But I did this time. I lived a boyhood dream to drive a car on a race track, and I have to admit that I didn‘t really want to share the moment with anyone else. I know, not much of a race car and not the most auspicious of tracks, and, hey, we weren’t even *racing. So, not much of a dream realization many might say. But it was a big life-time-dream-fulfillment deal for me. The greatest thing about it was that my son got to watch me do it. He even got to get on the track during the parade laps; pretty big fun for a seven-year-old, something he will always remember and think good of the old man for. I’m a hard-working 40 and I’ll never be a real race car driver and I’ll probably never have more of a car than I have now. But I’m OK with that. “So how did I do out there?”, I asked my son after the first session. “You were one of the fastest ones out there Daddy, and you looked really cool in your car with your helmet.” Thanks little buddy.

Howard and contributors, this whole WCC05 event was the ultimate in 914 enjoyment. Many thanks for putting on a good show. Looking forward to next year, John and Ian

*wink- no, not racing but sure trying like hell to stay in front of the M3! And I am sure I seemed somewhat insistent (and too close) to some of those I felt should let me pass! Yes, I was fully living the moment out there.
Howard
Ventura County Special Olympics was taken by surprise. More money than they raised in the last year. Warm fuzzies to all of you. Shipped unclaimed raffle prizes and the rest of the stuff you guys bid on today. All sent last class to save a few bucks, so be patient!

From Special Olympics (Word)
neo914-6
Howard,

Bring Moby to WCC06! That's 0 for 2 no shows @WCC!
dan10101
Very Cool.

Special cudos to the sponsors. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
(Because we sure got every penny's work that we put into this event.) cool.gif

And special thanks to those who drummed up sponsor support. It's a special tallent. smilie_pokal.gif

Hawktel
Hey thats a cool thing about the special Olympics.

Howard, you da man. Thanks for raising the bar!
TurtleGirl
The bar has most definitely been raised! Congrats to Howard, and all of his slaves... I MEAN helpers... who worked so hard on such a wonderful event! Nico and I had a blast! beer3.gif

We will hopefully have my 914 running for WCC06, but I think we'll still have to bring the keg wagon! (Not very much space for beer in the trunks! lol2.gif )

To whomever gets the overrated joy of organizing Portland, we of Turtle Mountain Brewing Company pledge to bring a couple of kegs of the real stuff to the event!

Thanks again, all!

wub.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (TurtleGirl @ May 9 2005, 05:42 PM)
The bar has most definitely been raised! Congrats to Howard, and all of his slaves... I MEAN helpers... who worked so hard on such a wonderful event! Nico and I had a blast! beer3.gif

We will hopefully have my 914 running for WCC06, but I think we'll still have to bring the keg wagon! (Not very much space for beer in the trunks! lol2.gif )

To whomever gets the overrated joy of organizing Portland, we of Turtle Mountain Brewing Company pledge to bring a couple of kegs of the real stuff to the event!

Thanks again, all!

wub.gif

pray.gif
What's better than a wife who loves beer and cars?

My wife likes neither...your beer was one of the WCC highlights for me. Thanks for transporting and getting my CF lids off your Burb while your guys kicked back. Now you're building a teener. You are amazing Liz...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.