Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looked at a 72 in Los Alamos, NM
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Madswede
So I looked at a 72 today here in Los Alamos. 1.7L that actually runs and starts amazingly easily (well, I'm biased with my 3.2L hot cam engine that always needs a little coaxing to really fire up and some pedal play to keep running rolleyes.gif )

Anyway, I'll be taking some pictures of it when there's more time to remove rocker panels and the battery to look at the hell hole. It's still fuel injected, the interior is in surprisingly good shape, verified the AAR valve works well (heheh), with really decent seats, side door panels, some electrical work done (new improved fuse box) while PPO (previous-previous owner) installed a stereo and possibly a Viper alarm system, a top that's in good shape (not perfect), vinyl sail panels removed but good trim remains, front trunk and rear deck very clean. Needs the usual rubber seals. All in all, not as bad as I expected when I'd first heard about it.

L60E Irish Green crappy respray, and there's the usual rust I can see without removing the rocker panels, but doesn't look like it would prevent the car from being restored without welding (EDIT: without structural welding, I should say). Not sure yet, next week with more info/pics if possible.

I updated the VIN database with it. It would need a real paint job to get it looking pretty again, but this car could be a real candidate for a concours restore or just for someone looking for a car that hasn't rusted itself to imminent death. There's a surprising amount of good condition stuff on this car! Can't wait to share pics with you all ...

Oh, and I'm not buying it. If you couldn't guess by the flavor of this post, I'm going to be the owner's advocate (such as I can be) in his interest in selling it. Checking with a local first, but it's just nice to see these cars in relatively good condition in spite of the 10 years of sitting around that this car did. Ahhh, good old dry New Mexico!

Stay tuned in about a week or so for pics ...
Madswede
Teaser pictures of badging and rusty bits ... yeah, so I start with the problems before showing the good stuff - hey, I'm an engineer not a damn salesman! At least I ain't BSing anyone. Cell phone pics ... they're huge too.

Undercarriage passenger side rear:

Click to view attachment
Madswede
And undercarriage driver side:

Click to view attachment
Madswede
Badges? We don' need no stinkin' badges!

Click to view attachment
Madswede
The badges really are in good shape, though. rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment
914_teener
I think finding these ones that still have all the stock bits and parts are ever more increasingly hard to find...AND more desirable because of that.

If the longs are in good shape.....its might be worth it to someone, AND it's running.

Why change anything other then restore it.

Front yard mechanic
I should buy it and make mine a parts car dry.gif
mepstein
And what's the price?
iankarr
Los Alamos? Is a Geiger counter part of the PPI?

I wonder if irradiation preserves teeners like it does apples?

poke.gif
Madswede
Actually, Front Yard Mechanic, he'd really prefer to sell it locally. When I get more details I can send you a PM if you'd possibly be seriously interested.

Once he decides on a price Mark, I'll let people know or post an ad. He asked me to help him decide on a fair price, but I know he's more keen to avoid hassles. Another nice thing is that it was registered just 6 years ago so that part of a sale and title exchange should go smoothly (as smooth as anything with MVD can ever go).

After I get a better picture of the condition of the longs and the hell hole, I will update with pics here ... or more appropriately, make an ad for him in the correct forum.

He's a nice older guy with an '83 SC in a really good shape too, which he prefers to drive. He told me a tale of going on a very brief off road excursion in that 911 once up by Mora ... I think he was trying to impress me, but then again I wouldn't be surprised, he seemed like he once was the adventurous type, now just happy being retired and working on restoring hot tubs, of all things. I just don't know of any places in NM where you can go offload without serious damage, and his 911 is pretty cherry!
Madswede
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Apr 6 2017, 07:33 AM) *

Los Alamos? Is a Geiger counter part of the PPI?

I wonder if irradiation preserves teeners like it does apples?

poke.gif

lol-2.gif Yeah, well, it IS green! And plutonium oxidizes to green ... we will insist this is just a coincidence. However, any prospective new owner will be solely responsible for any deconning. (Where's that radiation smiley face? We need one) blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.