Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rustoration time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AndyC
I have started down the long and lonely road of rustoration sad.gif
Just started attacking the windscreen frame as it appears to be the worst part on the car (even the hell hole look better) and this is what I have discovered. Beyond the pitting it all seems quite solid so what is the best way to tackle this for good, if there is such a thing

One:
AndyC
two
AndyC
three
AndyC
try again three
AndyC
four
AndyC
Under the fuel tank, looks like the PO had a thing for red oxide primer
AndyC
Looks like a nice layer of oil may have saved lots of work in the hell hole
AndyC
Longs are very solid which is quite shocking after 15 years of British weather this is the only bit of rust that isn't superficial
AndyC
Test fitting the new shocks and springs
Can you spot where I lowered it a bit too far before

mihai914
I would put a layer of epoxy based paint and then some body filler, or if you find a good old bodyman with some lead experience. Maybe some rust converter before will also help.
Gint
IMHO, that kind of pitting on exterior body panels that should be smooth and shiny should just be replaced. But that's just me...
AndyC
The lead soldering sounds interesting, I may have to grind the pitting back (as long as it hasn't gone all the way through) and learn the lost art of lead.
I do agree with Gint in that all the rusty metal should be chopped out and replaced but lead filling ontop of good metal is as good as new metal right?
914s are a rare comodity here and parts cars without rust in the same places are pretty much non existent. The last complete screen fame I saw for sale was about £1500
Does anyone have any experience with lead or am I on my own with this one?
I definately want to avoid plastic body filler except for final smoothing out where it cant be avoided
Either that or I will have to learn to fabricate sheet metal which could be a challenge
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.