Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding in rear sway bar stiffening plate in trunk ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cary
Does anyone have a shot of the correct weld in of the rear sway bar stiffener plates in the trunk ? Most of the time they're covered over with seam sealer. After I weld in the rosettes I'd like to complete the welds as the factory did it. On Matt's car thats on the lift they look like 3/4" seams on all 4 corners, so 8 welds. Plus the 5 rosettes.

Click to view attachment

Moonlighting at MiddleMotors. Matt on the blast cabinet. Super In Law tearing down Matt's rear suspension. Me burning metal on Doug's car. welder.gif cheer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Cary, found this on Pelican Parts:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...4_rear_sway.htm

with their pic.
You're in the ball park for sure.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Couple more pics I found on-line from the same car.

Rear part of trunk floor removed, but cut around the sway bar mount/reinforcement.
Click to view attachment

After replacing the pan and priming.
Click to view attachment
jmitro
on my 74 they were spot welded in place, no seam welds and no seam sealer
Mark Henry
It's been quite a while since I did mine but doesn't the factory mount have a step in it? confused24.gif
gcrotvik
QUOTE(jmitro @ Apr 7 2017, 05:44 AM) *

on my 74 they were spot welded in place, no seam welds and no seam sealer

This is OE correct. Both of my 74's have 6 spot welds, one in each corner, 2 in the middle on each plate.

I added a photo below.

This is a great Garage link. It details a very original 73 2.0: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=256832 It's great for reference.
cary
Then it's done. Other than a quick buzz with the mini flapper that I did after the picture was taken.
Thanks for the input. I just wanted a second opinion to compare to what I had here in the shop. Beings that it was different than the Pelican shot.
Thanks.

Click to view attachment

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 7 2017, 06:03 AM) *

It's been quite a while since I did mine but doesn't the factory mount have a step in it? confused24.gif

The part that's under the trunk floor does. The reinforcement on the top does not.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.