Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass gt rocker panel covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Seelenfan
I purchased a set of steel GT flares and fiberglass rocker covers from another member here on this site. They were from the group buy a while back. Is it me, or is anybody else thinking they packaged factory rejections for the rocker panel covers? I don't care how much trimming you try to due, that won't fix the giant bow in the middle (outward). There is no way they match the body shape / door line. Has anybody found a good fitting rocker cover?
Beach914
Im ran the group buy back then and a good number of guys ordered the rockers offered at the same time. I have not read any thread in the time since where any member had the trouble you describe. I was told they definitely need fitting but that for the most part the AA flared rockers were okay.
I have a set that I haven't used and will take a look at them this weekend when I go to my storage unit.
I stand corrected if I am speaking out of turn here but I do not recall any big issues.

David
Seelenfan
Thanks David. I will try to take pics tomorrow and post them.
Beach914
I'll try to do same if I can get good,light.
mepstein
I organized a group buy of flares and GT rocker panels. The flares I received were fine. I didn't open the box of rocker panels for about two years. When I did, I realized, although there was a left and right, they were from two different runs and were totally mismatched. Looked like rejects or returns.

I sold them to a member here for the cost of shipping with pics and full disclosure.

I am using steel rockers and Ben's / MB911 steel ends to do an all steel rocker.
Mike Bellis
I don't know what brand I have but I bought them from Brad Meyer (914 LTD) with a set of flares. My rockers bolted on, fit perfectly without any fitting. Not sure where he got them.

It may just come down to mold quality.
Seelenfan
The black line on the part is drawn on there as a ref for door & body line. The middle of the rocker will stick out past the door or the ends will have a dip curving inward. Also the overall length is too short. I could center it front to back to split the difference but they are to short no mater how you look at it.
Seelenfan
QUOTE(Seelenfan @ Apr 6 2017, 11:29 PM) *

I purchased a set of steel GT flares and fiberglass rocker covers from another member here on this site. They were from the group buy a while back. Is it me, or is anybody else thinking they packaged factory rejections for the rocker panel covers? I don't care how much trimming you try to due, that won't fix the giant bow in the middle (outward). There is no way they match the body shape / door line. Has anybody found a good fitting rocker cover?

Seelenfan
This is the second pic of the pass side rocker.Click to view attachment
Seelenfan
With the rocker lined up to the rear stock wheel well oppening, the front is too short.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Seelenfan
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 7 2017, 07:14 AM) *

I organized a group buy of flares and GT rocker panels. The flares I received were fine. I didn't open the box of rocker panels for about two years. When I did, I realized, although there was a left and right, they were from two different runs and were totally mismatched. Looked like rejects or returns.

I sold them to a member here for the cost of shipping with pics and full disclosure.

I am using steel rockers and Ben's / MB911 steel ends to do an all steel rocker.

Do you have a link to these steel 911 ends? I would like to look into that.
mepstein
QUOTE(Seelenfan @ Apr 7 2017, 02:09 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...9&hl=Rocker
burton73
I do not know who’s GT rockers you have but I went through 2 sets made by different companies till I got a set of AA rockers from there early runs several years ago. My set where black and the fit was good. I could see that they would still need a little love to get them perfect but each car is different when it comes to the fit.

What I did find with the rockers from Getty and I do not know who mad the 2nd set but the length was different by almost 2 inches. I did an old thread on it several years ago with pictures. I sold one set and trashed the 2nd.

I have a bit of fiberglass experience in the tooling area and if a company does what I call a splash of someone else's part by using that one as the pattern for the next generation, then the next set will come out a different size because of shrinkage. So a tool of a tool, of a tool is smaller. The closer you are to the original the better in less you increase the size to allow for the shrinkage.

The length shrinks more than the height. Cutting the length and spacing it out can fix what I see on yours. Body shops do this as fitting. The better the part the less fitting.

Bob Burton
mb911
QUOTE(Seelenfan @ Apr 7 2017, 10:09 AM) *

Just shipped 4 sets today and a set to Mark next week..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.