Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to stop replacement flasher relays from buzzing with handbrake on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
76 2.0. My original turn signal relay recently stopped working. I purchased several aftermarket turn signal relays, and they all buzzed when the handbrake dash light went on. I tried a recommended fix of putting a resistor in parallel with the dash light. That had no effect, the relay still buzzed with the handbrake light on. Finally I just disconnected the positive hot lead wire going to the dash handbrake light from the flasher relay. The wire should be black with green and white stripes. Then I attached a full time positive hot lead from the relay board to that same now open terminal on the dash handbrake light. The red dash light goes on with the handbrake up, and the flasher relay is bypassed so there's no more buzzing. It makes no difference to me that the red dash light doesn't flash. I hated the flasher/signal relay buzzing and the dash light serves it's purpose when it's lit up, whether it's flashing or not. You can't possibly miss the red light when it's on and drive around with your handbrake up.
Mike Bellis
You could just disconnect the wire to the hand brake switch. Or you can call Rich Bontempi at HPH and buy a factory relay.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 7 2017, 06:55 AM) *

You could just disconnect the wire to the hand brake switch. Or you can call Rich Bontempi at HPH and buy a factory relay.

Hi Mike, I like the light's function, stops me from driving w thee E brake on. But 2 supliers of relays already were sure they had OEM relays that ended up not working right. I just got tired of the relay game, not playing any more.
Spoke
What number flasher did you use?
oakdalecurtis
Hi Spoke,
The flasher on the left is my old one that finally went bad after 20 years. But it never buzzed with the hand brake light on. Both of the other recently purchased flashers cause a buzz when the hand brake light goes on. I am using the middle flasher now. (Much thanks to PelicanParts for letting me return the flasher they sent me on the right. Glenn from PelicanParts called me and he was very interested to find out that some of their "supposedly correct" flashers caused a buzzing problem in 914s.) I just bypassed the flasher to get the power for the dash hand brake warning light. The warning light doesn't flash now, but the flasher doesn't buzz either. That works for me.
Click to view attachment
burton73
I am having a wiring problem in my 76 914

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=307667

Can you look at my posting on #8 fuse and flasher problem? You seem to have some wiring problems and may have some incite for me. I tried the handbrake on and off and I have no hand break light and the buzzer did not go off when I released it.

Thanks,

Bob B
oakdalecurtis
I got bored today, wife is away on a trip. I bought a cheap small three pin relay at the FLAPS and put it behind the left dash gauge, wired inline to the red hand brake light. Now all is good. When the hand brake warning light goes on now, it flashes, and the light is independent of the turn signal flasher. No more buzzing, everything works like it should. Great solution if you can't find a turn signal relay that won't stop buzzing when the hand brake is on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.