Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for Air Cleaner Recommendation for my subaru motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vin man
I've got a non-Turbo EJ25 in my 71. The air cleaner assembly that came with the car was cheap and fell apart. Looking for a recommendation on what to get.
mgp4591
EJ25 in a 71?? Hey - I've made typos before too!
I use the stock airbox with the labyrinth system removed, a K&N filter and then used a 3/4inch hole saw to open up the box without making it weak. This works great in my 2000 Impreza with an EJ22. Along with the exhaust I have, the engine breathes all it really needs to.
Andyrew
We really need to see what your engine bay looks like. Most likely custom piping to a cone filter will be the easiest.
vin man
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 7 2017, 08:33 PM) *

I use the stock airbox with the labyrinth system removed, a K&N filter and then used a 3/4inch hole saw to open up the box without making it weak. This works great in my 2000 Impreza with an EJ22. Along with the exhaust I have, the engine breathes all it really needs to.

I never had the stock system so looking for something to purchase aftermarket.

It is an EJ25 - late 90s model subaru outback motor. Its in my 71 914.

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 8 2017, 07:45 AM) *

We really need to see what your engine bay looks like. Most likely custom piping to a cone filter will be the easiest.

I'll get some photos later.
Mowog4
QUOTE(vin man @ Apr 8 2017, 08:28 AM) *

Vin
Hope you are well, I ran an aluminum tube with a K&N cone filter on it. I'll post some photos later tonight. Let me know when you are around, would love to see the car.
Ed
vin man
Hard to see in these pics:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I think I need something with a sharp 90 degree bend and then the air filter like Ed mentioned.

I should be around tomorrow. Will let you know!
Mowog4
Vin
Here are some mediocre pics. It comes out of the MAF, and bends down 90 Degrees and points upside down
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mgp4591
QUOTE(vin man @ Apr 8 2017, 09:28 AM) *

And here I thought you were talking about your Subaru....
Occasionally I have to put my mind in gear. shades.gif lol-2.gif
76-914
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...1776&st=440 check out post #448. There are two pics that might help. One shows how to adapt the IAT sensor to the K&N filter. beerchug.gif Kent
vin man
Thanks to Rich out in Laveen, I ordered a 135 degree bend and a straight pipe and some clamps from silicone intakes. Came out nice:

IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
Andyrew
Looks good, I dont see a bracket supporting the piping/cone, so if your just hanging it out there you might find some issues in the future, I would build a bracket and bolt the intake to the engine, you can secure it to the pipe with another clamp.
vin man
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 21 2017, 12:44 PM) *

Looks good, I dont see a bracket supporting the piping/cone, so if your just hanging it out there you might find some issues in the future, I would build a bracket and bolt the intake to the engine, you can secure it to the pipe with another clamp.

If you look at the last pic, you can see the clamp that goes around the pipe, then twists and is bolted to the intake manifild.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.