Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ws91420
I'm replacing the synchro rings in my trans. Is there a trick to hold them in place while putting the 'snap ring back on? First gear no problem. The others let's say I've been using a few choice words.
bondo
Are they clean and dry? they "should" stick in place well enough to get them together. But then I could be wrong, I haven't actually reassembled a trans yet. smile.gif
Bleyseng
It is a bit tricky, but you must be using the wrong "choice" words. Try some other ones and you'll get them in. biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
I've found a touch of grease helps get lots of things where they need to be...
And helps things stay put.
ws91420
Okay guys I need a good answer. I get the ring in there and it under tension because you have to compress it slightly. Go to put on the snap ring it pops out. HELP wacko.gif
Bleyseng
I am not at the shop but IIRC you have to get all the rings and things aligned just right so they do pop in.
brp914
it is sort of a pain, but I held down the sync ring/snap ring on a table top with one hand while using the snap ring pliers with the other. If that isn't working, perhaps you could put it all in a soft jawed vice. The gear is wider than where you need to apply force, but with a couple pieces of wood cut to size you should be able to hold things in place. Hope it helps.
Red-Beard
QUOTE (ws91420 @ May 8 2005, 07:38 AM)
Okay guys I need a good answer. I get the ring in there and it under tension because you have to compress it slightly. Go to put on the snap ring it pops out. HELP wacko.gif

Well, knowing how to swear in German is a must. Consult Andy for the most appropriate ones for this situation. The parts will not respect you when being sworn at in English. They will ignore you at best.

#1. I use a modified pair of snap ring pliers which give me a little more extension. I filed the inside of the handles.

#2. Expand the synch band a little. This will give you a little more interference fit and hold it in place. Usually I run into this problem when I flip synchros not when I relplace. I would look at your dog teeth for wear.

#3. If you are not replacing the dog teeth and the slider, make sure you clean up the slots on the sliders and repoint and clean up the dog teeth and slider points as best you can. Look at my article to tell whether dogteeth and sliders are re-usable.

I've found a touch of grease helps get lots of things where they need to be...
And helps things stay put.

Grease will not help in this situation. It should have a slight mechanical interference fit.

James
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.