Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach/Speedo Glass Scratches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LukeD
I have a replacment tach and speedo but the glass has a ton of light scratches that you can see if you hold them at an angle. Anything I can do besides replacing the glass? Rubbing compound? Wax? headbang.gif headbang.gif

THX

Luke
markb
Is it actually glass, or the later plastic?
LukeD
Good question. Considering it has faint scratches all over it I would think it is plastic. Are these things hard to take apart?

Does PaloAlto Speedo fix these?

Luke D
SirAndy
QUOTE (LukeD @ May 9 2005, 02:00 PM)
Are these things hard to take apart?

not at all. i replaced a few. all the ones i came across were real glass ...

cool.gif Andy
markb
Palo or North Hollywood. Have them replace the plastic with glass.......or.....use some Novus plastic cleaner on them. It's great stuff for plastic, should clean up your gauge just fine.
lapuwali
Early = glass, later = plastic. I don't know when the switch happened, though I think it was '75, when the tachs changed internally, too.

There's some discussion here you can search for on opening the gauges for repair. However, since the scratches are probably on the outside, just use some metal polish on the plastic to clean it up. Lots of elbow grease will be required. A toothbrush seems to help in the early stages.
bondo
You can actually set up a glass cutter on a suction cup pivot to cut circles. It isn't particularly easy to get it just right, but glass is cheap. smile.gif I made one to replace the plastic one in a 911 clock. (I didn't want the adjusty knob in the middle)
LukeD
Thanks for the info, these came out of a 75' 1.8.

When you say " Metal Polish" will "Mothers" work?

Luke D
boxstr
I replaced two scracthed plastic ones in my 911 with glass. Palo Alto was the only one of the two that would sell me the glass. North Hollywood wanted me to send the gauges to them so they could install the glass and charge me more, they wouldn't even sell me the just the glass.
CCLINGLASSWAX
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.