Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjusting alternator belt on 1976 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
So I have posted that I am having a problem with my smog pulley but I need to loosen up my alternator belt not remove the alternator. Wend we went under the car we could not see how to loosen the bottom bolt. McMark’s posting was on an earlier car and I question what is different on a 76 car.

Thanks as always,

Bob

yesterday:
OK I put PB blaster on like euro911 Mark said to try and it did come lose. Now the problem is I turned on the car for one second and the fan moved out of indexing.
I used a mirror and flashlight to see the hub and there is no front cone that people spoke of. I take it the nose or hub with the indexing notch is what it on the front of the rubber smog shaft pulley thing that I showed before. I have now shown the broken rubber and metal part that I think is what goes up to the fan and then the 3 bolts thread in. It seems like an impossible task. I tried and tried.
Any help from anyone. Please I do not want to pull the engine on this car. The last time I pulled an engine from a 914 was 35 years ago and I was in good shape.

Bob B
Dave_Darling
The alternator belt works the same as on any 914. You loosen it by finding the cover on the front part of the engine tin, removing it, and loosening the pinch bolt (mine is an Allen-head) that goes through the outer mounting ear on the alternator.

The cover is part #1 in the following diagram: http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/engi...oling_large.htm

Once that bolt is loose (don't remove it!) you can just push the alternator up and in, and it should swing on the lower pivot bolt so that the belt loosens up.

To tighten, there is another similar plastic cover in the side right by that first cover; you can remove that to get access to push down on the outer ear of the alternator so you can tighten the belt properly.

Not sure how to deal with the smog pump, though. Never done it myself.

--DD
burton73
Dave,

I read you post on Pelican and loosened up the Allen – Head bolt and the Alt. did not seem to move easily for us. Maybe it needs more loosening up. Question on the nut and bolt on the bottom of it. If it is tight will the unit still move?

Thanks

Bob

McMark
This picture is accurate for all Type4 engines, regardless of year or model. All mounted just like this. If this nut/bolt is tightened correctly, the alternator won't move.

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
That is a "carriage-head" bolt whose other end has a square on the part that is along the shank. That fits into a square hole in the sheet metal piece that the bolt goes through, and keeps it from turning. So you can loosen or tighten the nut shown in McMark's pic without holding the bolt head.

--DD
burton73
So can you do this from up top or do you need to get under the car. My buddy Albert went under the car and said he could not get to it because there was something in the way. Is it clear where this picture is taken as far as access to the bottom nut to loosen it?

Thanks,

Bob
rhodyguy
Notice the rectangular 'door' piece to the left of the arrow. The dr side branch duct that connects to the door piece shroud opening and heat exchanger has been removed.
burton73
So are you saying that I have to remove something to get access to the nut?

Bob
Dave_Darling
On a 75-76, you might have to remove some of the exhaust or the heater part on that side. I know you can reach around it all on a 70-74 if you're determined, but I've heard that the 75-76 exhaust gets in the way more.

--DD
bobforman
Here are some photos that might help those adjusting/replacing the belt. You must get the car in the air. The first photo is of the tin you must remove (two bolts from the bottom and two screws in the engine compartment) in order to be able to move the alternator, assuming you're doing this job yourself. The second is a shot of the pivot bolt (slightly out of focus but dead-center in the photo) that needs to be loosened to make the adjustment. I reached it using two long extensions and a universal joint. It's a 13mm bolt. The third photo is the hole opened when you remove the tin. I put a box-end wrench on the big bolt on the alternator, pulled down and then reached up through the hole with the 6mm allen wrench and tightened the adjusting screw. Trial-and-error got the belt about right.

Click to view attachment

Photos follow in next posts.
bobforman
Click to view attachment
bobforman
Looking up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.