Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally Pulled the Heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
Hi All,
Well, by now this is ancient history & probably by now lost on some old 914thread since it's been quite a while since I dropped the engine. At the time, there was a HARD knock accompanied by really low power. As in she wouldn't pull third gear- knocked HARD - but still got me home.
I expected a dropped valve seat & maybe even some piston damage.
From the looks of these heads - I was wrong all around.
Next step obiously is to split the case. I'm sittin' here basically dumbfounded.
What could the hard knock - coupled with could the low power - have come from if it's not associated with the heads?
I haven't even cleaned the heads yet - & they look pretty damn good.
Pistons look pretty good 2. Check out my picz & PLEASE give me a clue..
d7n7master
another
d7n7master
more
d7n7master
more
d7n7master
more of more
d7n7master
asdf
d7n7master
jkl;
Doesn't it just suck when you forget to add a pic?
Bleyseng
Looks like she was blowin oil pretty gud....
Hard to say from those pics what might be wrong. Check the valve stem witha straight edge to see if they are all the same.
Aaron Cox
you said knocking? is a rod loose?
d7n7master
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 7 2005, 01:15 PM)
you said knocking? is a rod loose?

Film @ 11 biggrin.gif ... we need to dig deeper happy11.gif
Gary
Did you check the lifters? Maybe you wiped a cam. Was the mode of failure on mine - lifter fell apart. Nast ugly noises from the middle of the motor and no power... Coulda spun a bearing... You should find out when you splt the case.
d7n7master
Pulled the cylinders off one side This fell out...
Think I found the reason for the "knock".
What the hell is it? Haven't split the case yet.
bondo
That LOOKS like a fin off the front fan.. but I must be wrong.. I MUST be!
Joe Ricard
Looks like the half of the wrist pin hole from the bottom of that piston. Looks to be missing from the pic but hard to see zakly.
Woulda made one hell of a noise for sure. Also looks like one of the heads hada bad intake leak. One hell of a lot of carbon build up on the piston crown. Smoke a bit did it?
Pugbug
Yup..... It looks like a fin from the fan alright!....How could that get in the engine?
I broke one off an old fan...take a look.

Joe Ricard
Ok I have to agre with the fan blade. Going out on a limb here but 99.9% positive that wasn't in your engine. Maybe sitting in between the cylinders. Was your fan missing a blade?
d7n7master
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ May 7 2005, 05:31 PM)
Ok I have to agre with the fan blade. Going out on a limb here but 99.9% positive that wasn't in your engine. Maybe sitting in between the cylinders. Was your fan missing a blade?

Yup. In fact it was missing 3 blades. Engines been sitting on that wood crate for about a year. When I pulled the head today, I heard a noise. Dooohhh - I assumed that it came out from under the piston skirt. If it had bounced around there would be shrapnel marks - I should think. Still don't have it apart yet. I MUST be wrong. blink.gif Piston is unharmed. Head looks fine. Amazing how clean they look for as many years they ran. It always ran rich & it looks it. I have no idea the mileage but I can tell you that I drove it most every day since 1998 and it was running when I bought it.
smile.gif
d7n7master
So now I have two complete 2.0 longblocks. I had planned to re-build this one for a spare & keep it - but now I need cash to megasquirt my new engine - so the used engine is 4 sale.
Any idea of what's a "fair" price would be appreciated.
Thanx, Gary driving.gif
skline
I will offer you $100.00 for it. I am a CSOB remember?
d7n7master
QUOTE (skline @ May 9 2005, 06:55 PM)
I will offer you $100.00 for it. I am a CSOB remember?

Scott. CSOB??? Would that be my Cuz - the SOB?
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif No... that's Joe.
Jake Raby
Do you have a more clear pic of the combustion chambers???

d7n7master
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ May 9 2005, 07:57 PM)
Do you have a more clear pic of the combustion chambers???

Hope this is not too BIG. You might want to step back a bit.
d7n7master
and one more.
Jake Raby
damn, looks like they have seriously been flycut...

Anyway, I thought I saw signs of a piston bumping against the head and thats a sure sign of a wiped rod bearing... But it appears to be okay..

d7n7master
Well something made those shiny marks & it wasn't me wink.gif
Guess I should un-wrap your video now slap.gif Thanx
Jake Raby
Yep, watch the video...

Normally if a pison bumps into a head it is very apparent, more than what I see in the pics..

One thing is for sure- It was running rich.. Rich= fuel contaminated oil..... Fuel contaminated oil= Spun bearing WAY faster than normal..

Check journal #2 for a bad bearing first, its the first to go if you have an oiling issue, it gets it's oil last and not quite as much of it generally, especially at low RPMs with heavy load... #4 is next to go so check it too...
d7n7master
It ran rich alright - for years - on D-Jet So do you think that maybe my "rich" d-jet could run my new 2165 w/out a lean condition? It's got a mild F.I. compatible hydraulic cam & lifter set.
Uh Ohh, I said hydraulic & d-jet wacko.gif
Jake Raby
The problem with FI and larger engines is they simply try to lean out at peak torque- right where you are typically cruising..

D jet with the delayed valve events of a hydro cam would be pretty much a recipe for a nightmare IMHO... But if you tossed the brain for a programmable modern system you could preobably pull it off easily, even with stock injectors...
Why the hell are you going to use the hydro cam??????

I have an M59 fragmentation grenade that would probably be just as effective if you pulled the pin 3/4 the way out and zip tied it to the valve cover bail...

Seriously, you are going backward explore the possibilities of solid lift closer.
messix
what is that in the second picture left cylinder upper right of the intake valve. looks rough, is it ? something beating around on it? a bent valve or debris. hows the piston look on that cylinder?
SpecialK
I see what looks to be a big hairy-ass crack (not to be confused with Z's big hairy "ass-crack") between the exhaust valve (left side) and the sparkplug hole......but then again, I see them everywhere.....ALL of my 2.0L heads have them headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.