Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Mass Produced Machined Parts Void in The Industry?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TM_Corey
So the shop I work for is a full time firearms suppressor manufacturing machine shop, but before that we did rapid prototyping and other specialty work. ar15.gif

Lately we are considering branching out into some car and motorcycle race parts because some new high tech machinery we have purchased has opened up lots of spare time. We try and stick with stuff we think is "fun", to make going to work every day...well....fun!

Can anyone think of any machined parts that used to be offered, but are not longer offered, that you would love to see available again? Or parts that are available put are unreasonably expensive?
audio_file
I'll take one suppressor in each of the following sizes; 308win, 5.56, .45, 9mm, .380, and 12ga... please and thank you.
TM_Corey
QUOTE(audio_file @ Apr 9 2017, 07:31 PM) *

I'll take one suppressor in each of the following sizes; 308win, 5.56, .45, 9mm, .380, and 12ga... please and thank you.

I can set you up with everything on your list but the 12ga. smile.gif

We didn't like our 12ga prototypes.
ConeDodger
Well if the current house, senate and administration have their way and I suspect they will, you're about to get a lot busier on the suppressor side of the shop...

Oh, and make mine a 9mm Glock suppressor and one for an M9A3... evilgrin.gif
TM_Corey
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 9 2017, 08:15 PM) *

Oh, and make mine a 9mm Glock suppressor and one for an M9A3... evilgrin.gif

Valy
Some nice individual throttle bodies will be mice.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 10 2017, 02:02 AM) *

Some nice individual throttle bodies will be mice.

Probably not actually mice but... blink.gif
Mark Henry
Problem is the Porsche market as a whole is a small market right from the start, this is the reason for most of the high price from the big and small producers alike. TB's there are already a few offerings, one TB upstart called Extrudabody was looking for a buyer. Likely sales are/were slow.

I know there's love for the 914 and all Porsche, but good business sense would steer most towards bigger markets.
Not tring to poo-poo your idea and there may be things you can do small runs of, but a large business needs a parts inventory that moves out the door quickly and constantly.
Mikey914
We do some machining for parts on these cars.

Yes the market is small. There were 114,000ish cars made.

We do what we do because we are an Architectural Products company. We make many part s to incur a loss. Over time they do pay back, we roll it back over to make more parts. It's not a lucrative as you would think. Especially since there have been many new Chinese parts entering the market.

Just my .02
mb911
My former business that was a start up Porsche exhaust business www.mkexhaust..com was a great business for a total of 2 people but anything larger it made no sense. In fact in the now 6 years since I sold it the business supports 2 people still but that's it. It really was booming when I sold it and I think it is about the same ever since.

My newest endeavor is making heat exchangers, oil tanks, gt rocker flares, and soon to be a few other parts and I can tell you it really only supports my rustoration of my 914 so not making tons of money. That said I think that machined fittings for oil lines would be a broad enough product that you could reach many markets. The 22mm and 30mm fittings are often asked about but very few vendors..

I wish I needed something but I laser cut everything now.
SixerJ
I would by a load of the aluminium early Choline rebuildable type oil hose fittings for the GT project & bet the early 911 boys would as well

You can get a select few of the ARGUS fittings but they are not correct for the early cars (apart from race cars)

As people have said small market though

What about targeting more out and out race series manufacturers? I found out the other day that there is a machine shop in the next door village that all they make is parts for F1 teams.....exotic materials, expensive and requiring fast turn around, does that kind of stuff count as fun?

If you can make stuff for guns I guess quality and tolerances have to be on the money so a race part is not going to be an issue
Mueller
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Apr 10 2017, 03:23 PM) *

I would by a load of the aluminium early Choline rebuildable type oil hose fittings for the GT project & bet the early 911 boys would as well

You can get a select few of the ARGUS fittings but they are not correct for the early cars (apart from race cars)

As people have said small market though

What about targeting more out and out race series manufacturers? I found out the other day that there is a machine shop in the next door village that all they make is parts for F1 teams.....exotic materials, expensive and requiring fast turn around, does that kind of stuff count as fun?

If you can make stuff for guns I guess quality and tolerances have to be on the money so a race part is not going to be an issue

Have any samples of those fittings? I need to start making a few bucks with my stuff at home to show the wife it wasn't just for my own projects. smile.gif
mobymutt
What about transmission rebuild parts?
mb911
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Apr 10 2017, 03:55 PM) *

904 main shafts?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 10 2017, 08:27 PM) *

QUOTE(mobymutt @ Apr 10 2017, 03:55 PM) *

904 main shafts?

That one might be worth it, early 911 guys would be your bigger customer. Still a small run though and do you have the equipment for gear cutting. You would think if the product was feasible someone like GT (Guard Transmission ) would already be making it.

Many vendors here do a group buy deal which means a lower profit but helps pay for the tooling and gets the product out there. Only thing is once you sell at group buy price that customer won't be back to buy it again, unless he has another project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.