Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My introduction to me and my 1972 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srps13
Hello everyone. My name is Andrew and I've been around 914's my entire life "33 years". My Granddad purchased a 1972 1.7L new in 1972 in California. It remained garaged in CA and his summer home in Colorado until several years ago when I purchased it from his estate. It has 65K miles on it now and it's mostly all original. I've replaced the injectors as they started to leak and updated the shifter bushings so I can get it in 4th and 5th gear. I've enjoyed reading up on 914's for a while now and figured I should make a post or 2. Click to view attachment
cwpeden
welcome.png

My first 914 was a 72.
mark04usa
welcome.png Nice car, Andrew. We are always glad to see more photos!
campbellcj
welcome.png Looks like a great low-mileage car with real family history and sentimental value. The folks here have a wealth of knowledge and parts to get and keep her in top shape!
pete-stevers
Glad you are on the World, it is a great place to hang your hat, get info and join in the shinnigans! Great looking car!! welcome.png
rgolia
Congrats........I hope one of my kids or grandkids takes my 914 and enjoys it like you are doing.
srps13
Thanks guys for the welcome. welcome.png Now I need to decide if anyone cares about a original 1.7 Cal emission engine car or should I put a small block V8 in it or something else? I think I'd enjoy a v8 powered 914 but I'm not sure this is the car to do it with? idea.gif
ndfrigi
Welcome to 914world! keep the 4 engine or maybe just rebuild it to 2056 or 2270.
TM_Corey
welcome.png

I love to see family cars passed down.
6freak
welcome...car looks well maintained from the outside,im guessing the insides just as clean... beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
welcome.png Terrific looking car.

I don't know that I would rush to any decision re the motor. However....when the time comes.... I would either do a nice 2056 with factory FI or a nice 3,0 Porsche six motor.

Now if that didn't work for you, you may want to consider a Subaru conversion. That is a terrific swap and the parts are cheap and the R&D has been done to perfection. I just think the V-8, though great motors for sure, change the entire nature of the car to much.

Just my thoughts. Best wishes and I think it is great you got your grandfather's car. beerchug.gif
Shadowfax
welcome.png
Paint looks nice and shiny driving.gif
rjames
Welcome!
I love black 914 when they look as nice as yours. smile.gif
sb914
welcome.png
914Sixer
Sweet ! Another generation on the road.
green914
Cool story! welcome.png
Tom_T
welcome.png

Cool that you're keeping it in the family! smilie_pokal.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
tygaboy
welcome.png

That's a nice looking car. I vote you get it dialed in and just drive it!
You can always modify but you can't always go back. There are other cars out there if you want a project but there's something special about a nice, stock 914.
(Not that I'd know much about that...)
Welcome and let's see more pics!
Chris
Larmo63
First thing I would do is get rid of the Rivieras.

Nice car, black looks good on a 914. And,

welcome.png
welcome.png
aharder
welcome.png
PanelBilly
Welcome
aggiezig
Sweet ride, even better with some family history. Those rims and the polished trim really pop on black.

welcome.png
srps13
You guys sure know how to make a guy feel welcome. beer.gif A year or so I purchased a bunch of seals, gaskets, and o rings to address the common leaks that have been bugging me. It just needs basic maintenance. I agree with many of you that even though it's not the most desirable 1.7L cal emission 914, it is indeed all there and mostly original which many people prefer. I will take your advice and my Granddads to keep it as close to original as possible.
whitetwinturbo
wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png assimilate.gif
Cracker
Cool story...got to be special being your GD car! Fantastic and welcome!

Tony
lvnzdrm
welcome.png Great looking car. Keep the FI and drive it. It does become a love hate relationship.
ConeDodger
welcome.png

I'd keep it original. Preservation is value-rich in all classic cars. Followed by restoration and so on...
Cuda911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 10 2017, 05:56 PM) *

First thing I would do is get rid of the Rivieras.

Nice car, black looks good on a 914. And,

welcome.png

Don't listen to him... the Rivs look great!! Congrats on the car!

[Could use some Mustang mirrors, though.]
AZBanks
Welcome.

Beautiful original cars are not very common.
IMHO. keep it original or do Porsche 6 swap. It is too nice to cut up.

If you want to build a Subie or Chevy conversion, find another car that needs more work to begin with and go crazy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.