Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter still grinding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJTom
This is a follow up to an earlier post. The starter seems like it engages for a split second longer than it should and we get a grinding sound, again just for a split second. We switched starters and we still had the problem. Here is what my mechanic sent me "it appears the starter remains engaged after the car starts. I think that is a different problem than the high torque issue. Plus, even after changing starters the problem persists. It's as if the continues to run after the engine has started and the key released. Thus the grinding noise. A starter change didn't help. We need to know if there are any known issues that would cause this, (bad relay, or ignition switch) where should we look next? Thanks!
wndsrfr
QUOTE(NJTom @ Apr 13 2017, 03:06 AM) *

This is a follow up to an earlier post. The starter seems like it engages for a split second longer than it should and we get a grinding sound, again just for a split second. We switched starters and we still had the problem. Here is what my mechanic sent me "it appears the starter remains engaged after the car starts. I think that is a different problem than the high torque issue. Plus, even after changing starters the problem persists. It's as if the continues to run after the engine has started and the key released. Thus the grinding noise. A starter change didn't help. We need to know if there are any known issues that would cause this, (bad relay, or ignition switch) where should we look next? Thanks!

Ignition switch most likely.....easy to diagnose using a "remote start switch" to activate the starter & see if it does the same thing. Lots of threads on installing Ford solenoid...I recommend that after replacing the switch....
stugray
The last 914 I bought had a "sticky switch" that would leave the starter engaged unless you made a conscious effort to turn the key back to the "run" position.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.