Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the capacity of the stock fuel tank in a 71?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vin man
How much gas does the stock tank hold?
KELTY360
According to the 914 Technical Specifications booklet it's 62 liters/16.4 gallons.
Larry.Hubby
The manual claims it's 16.4 gallons, including a 1.6 gallon reserve (the warning light comes on when there are 1.6 gallons left). I did some measurements on mine and couldn't get it fuller than about 15.5 gallons. I did the measurements to calibrate my gas gauge. The summary below explains what I did and the results:

Click to view attachment
vin man
Thank you!
I put aftermarket gauges in the car and reads about 1/4 after 9 gallons so now I know how much I have left.
timothy_nd28
Thanks Larry
The data you collected should be in the classics section. This will be useful when calibrating our fuel gauges.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Apr 15 2017, 11:55 PM) *

Thanks Larry
The data you collected should be in the classics section. This will be useful when calibrating our fuel gauges.

agree.gif
Elliot Cannon
In California it's a struggle topping off the tank with the government mandated vapor recovery sleeves on the fuel nozzle. You have to reach down and pull the sleeve back to keep the flow of fuel going to get it close to 16 gallons. Not that I would EVER do that. smoke.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(Larry Hubby @ Apr 15 2017, 05:33 PM) *

The manual claims it's 16.4 gallons, including a 1.6 gallon reserve (the warning light comes on when there are 1.6 gallons left). I did some measurements on mine and couldn't get it fuller than about 15.5 gallons. I did the measurements to calibrate my gas gauge. The summary below explains what I did and the results:

Click to view attachment

I also have a 71 914, and this chart is very useful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.