Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Setrab Oil Cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmascari
I installed a Setrab oil cooler for a 3.0 six conversion in the front trunk. Does anyone know if there is a direction the oil has to flow through the cooler or are they unidirectional? I bought the cooler from PMS.
Eddie914
Hot in ... cool out!
Mark Henry
Technically by thermodynamics you want in (hot) to be the top port and out (cold) to be the bottom port.
Likely less important on a small oil cooler, but it's how engine water cooled rads work.
EdwardBlume
Motors have blown getting it wrong. blowup.gif
stugray
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 15 2017, 11:12 PM) *

Could you please elaborate?

My BS meter jumped a little there.

I would argue it does not matter.
My system has two Setrab front coolers in series and it goes hot in on top on one and hot in on bottom on the other.
stownsen914
Well, Carroll Smith says to put hot in at the bottom if the cooler is oriented such that one port if higher than the other. This is different that how it's done with a water coolant radiator (hot in at the top), but remember that with a water radiator the water pump usually sucks water from the radiator, so you want extra pressure that the "head" gives you by sucking out the lower port of the radiator. For an oil cooler, the oil is pumped into the cooler (not sucked out), so this isn't necessary. I believe Carroll Smith preferred hot in at the bottom to give more even flow through the cooler.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 16 2017, 07:08 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 15 2017, 11:12 PM) *

Could you please elaborate?

My BS meter jumped a little there.

I would argue it does not matter.
My system has two Setrab front coolers in series and it goes hot in on top on one and hot in on bottom on the other.

Randal's first motor in the Beast detonated due to oil starvation. According to Randal, the oil lines were not installed correctly.
Cracker
Off of a scavenging line (which is probably your source) I would install the hot to the bottom port of the cooler. Allot of air is inter-mixed (due to aeration) with the oil and I would want that flushed out to the tank.

Tony
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 16 2017, 08:00 AM) *

Randal's first motor in the Beast detonated due to oil starvation. According to Randal, the oil lines were not installed correctly.

The oil lines not installed correctly is a little bit different from putting the cooler in the circuit the "wrong way".

--DD
Larmo63
I'm in the process of doing this as we speak, I'd like to know the answer too. I was going to run hot in the top, cooled oil out the bottom, the ports are inches from each other, so I wouldn't think it would make that big of a difference.

Oil out of the sump gets pumped up to the thermostat, and depending on temp goes forward when the t-stat (@ 180 deg.) closes it then goes up to the cooler, into it and through. Then cooled oil flows all the way (back through the t-stat) to the inlet port in the oil tank.

Right?
Steve
Ask Jim at PMS. He has installed hundreds of them.
Cracker
If a thermostat is used...it would be on the pressure side. Different animal - generally, the most effective cooling occurs on the scavenger/low pressure circuit. As suggested...probably better to ask PLS.

T
Elliot Cannon
I think bdstone would be able to answer that.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Cracker @ Apr 16 2017, 07:38 AM) *

Off of a scavenging line (which is probably your source) I would install the hot to the bottom port of the cooler. Allot of air is inter-mixed (due to aeration) with the oil and I would want that flushed out to the tank.

Tony

agree.gif
Air isn't going to flow out the bottom port, it'll rise to the top and may stay there, reducing the coolers effectiveness.
mmascari
Thanks for all the responses but not really getting a definitive answer. Seems to me that there are good reasons for both.
michael7810
Call Patrick. I'm sure he will tell you how he does it.
mepstein
I just asked Bob Russo - porsche 962 mechanic, used to campaign the Al Holbert, Al Unser Jr 962. He said it really doesn't matter, hot oil is hot oil and if it's under pressure, it's going to move quickly no matter up or down.
He said guys blow oil coolers by not warming up the engine and running cold oil at high revs.
mmascari
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 17 2017, 01:52 PM) *

I just asked Bob Russo - porsche 962 mechanic, used to campaign the Al Holbert, Al Unser Jr 962. He said it really doesn't matter, hot oil is hot oil and if it's under pressure, it's going to move quickly no matter up or down.
He said guys blow oil coolers by not warming up the engine and running cold oil at high revs.

Thanks, I did call PMS and was told they run the hot in to the top.
maf914
QUOTE(mmascari @ Apr 17 2017, 11:02 AM) *

Thanks for all the responses but not really getting a definitive answer. Seems to me that there are good reasons for both.

Why not contact Setrab? idea.gif
michael7810
QUOTE(mmascari @ Apr 17 2017, 04:16 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 17 2017, 01:52 PM) *

Thanks, I did call PMS and was told they run the hot in to the top.

I would go with PMS, they have been hot-rodding 914s for 25+ years...
KevinP
Hot raises, cold sinks, pretty pretty straight forward?
mepstein
Either direction - per setrab
mmascari
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 21 2017, 02:00 PM) *

Who reads instructions? biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(mmascari @ Apr 21 2017, 11:27 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 21 2017, 02:00 PM) *

Who reads instructions? biggrin.gif

I do but usually not until I've already done it my way biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.