Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing a "tail shifter" for a side
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJTom
I/we are restoring a 1972 914 that has the "tail shifter" that's really not the best. We are thinking of changing to a side shifter, from my research the entire set up from the shifter level in side the car, all the linkages, mounts and transmission need to be replaced and finding a "donor" and using is the best way to go. Does anyone have any other suggestions? A car this good should that well too! Happy Easter and Thanks!
BeatNavy
I did this a couple of years ago on my '72. Make a complete checklist of what you need using the PET and start pulling it together as things come available in the classifieds. Sometimes people will put together complete, or nearly complete, conversion "kits" for sale in the classifieds. Use the Tangerine Racing firewall bushing, and consider using their precision shift adjuster, too.
Steve
agree.gif
bdstone has put together kits in the past and put them in the classifieds. I know AA has a kit, but they do not have a good reputation on this board. Your mileage may vary.
NJTom
Thanks for the info!
NJTom
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 16 2017, 05:12 AM) *

I did this a couple of years ago on my '72. Make a complete checklist of what you need using the PET and start pulling it together as things come available in the classifieds. Sometimes people will put together complete, or nearly complete, conversion "kits" for sale in the classifieds. Use the Tangerine Racing firewall bushing, and consider using their precision shift adjuster, too.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated
mepstein
I would go the bdstone/Bruce Stone route. Very honest and knows what parts you need. Probably 25% the cost of AA and better quality parts.
Mikey914
I can vouch for the quality of the rubber and plastic parts biggrin.gif
Niklas
Click to view attachment

This is a kit from Bruce that i bought from him.

Niklas

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.