Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust Repair on Front Trunk Channel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nacho
Hi All,

I've been searching for days now and I can't seem to find much on how to rust repair or weld in new pieces of the front trunk seal channel. Specifically the nose area. Here is my issue.

Thanks

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
I had an accident and uncovered a lot of rust, I decided to remove the front face and replace it.

Click to view attachment
Nacho
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 16 2017, 09:19 PM) *

I had an accident and uncovered a lot of rust, I decided to remove the front face and replace it.

Click to view attachment

Thanks! I figured that would be an option but was looking for a smaller repair option. The rest of the front face is in good shape. I was thinking of buying some square tubing of the same size and slicing it to size. I just haven't built the confidence in me to tackle this yet.

Nacho
billium01
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 16 2017, 07:19 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I'm looking at doing this too. Is that new sheet metal?

thanks

Bill
mepstein
I think restoration design sellls the channel. Ask them.
914dave
Mine were rusty too. I cut off the old and bent up new channel. Then I used an Eastwood shrinker/stretcher to form the radii. Turned out pretty good. Can't tell they were replaced. Don't have pics on my phone. Can get some tonightnoff turbo/c if you'd like.
Nacho
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 17 2017, 05:26 AM) *

I think restoration design sellls the channel. Ask them.

I never thought of just calling and asking, good idea!

Thanks
Nacho
Nacho
QUOTE(914dave @ Apr 17 2017, 07:43 AM) *

Mine were rusty too. I cut off the old and bent up new channel. Then I used an Eastwood shrinker/stretcher to form the radii. Turned out pretty good. Can't tell they were replaced. Don't have pics on my phone. Can get some tonightnoff turbo/c if you'd like.

That would be awesome!

Thanks
Nacho
IronHillRestorations
I've been working on this too. Just remember there is a forward/aft radius as well as a horizontal radius. All you've got to do is look at the hood to see there's a curve that needs to be considered
aggiezig
I replaced pieces of mine with patches I created. You could definitely make that front piece with a brake, shrinker and stretcher.

This youtube video documents that exact repair: https://youtu.be/y3Y_-ug5c3s

I also wouldn't pass up a donor section from a parts car. You could probably post a WTB in the classifieds. If I still had my 72 donor, I'd cut it off for you for shipping only.
mgphoto
QUOTE(billium01 @ Apr 16 2017, 09:38 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 16 2017, 07:19 PM) *

I'm looking at doing this too. Is that new sheet metal?

thanks

Bill

No I got a used front, had a pretty rough section that I cut from another panel and tig welded in.

Click to view attachment

Nacho
QUOTE(aggiezig @ Apr 17 2017, 07:09 PM) *

I replaced pieces of mine with patches I created. You could definitely make that front piece with a brake, shrinker and stretcher.

This youtube video documents that exact repair: https://youtu.be/y3Y_-ug5c3s

I also wouldn't pass up a donor section from a parts car. You could probably post a WTB in the classifieds. If I still had my 72 donor, I'd cut it off for you for shipping only.

Thanks for your generosity! I also wish you still had your 72 beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.