Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission output shaft seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
What's the secret with that ?
Last year at Hershey , one came out that I replaced. I replaced them again with brand new seal from pelican, leak again.

no scratched on the surface and surface is clean. Seals are tight. Do you push them Althea way against the bearing or flush with the outside perimeter?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(914itis @ Apr 16 2017, 08:16 PM) *

What's the secret with that ?
Last year at Hershey , one came out that I replaced. I replaced them again with brand new seal from pelican, leak again.

no scratched on the surface and surface is clean. Seals are tight. Do you push them Althea way against the bearing or flush with the outside perimeter?

Paul, I am pretty sure those seals are supposed to sit slightly below flush with the outside, but there is some tolerance. There is a lip on the inside, and I think ideally they sit against those. But you don't want them so deep that they sit against the bearing. I would just make sure the mating surfaces, including the output flange surfaces, are as clean as possible.
Krieger
Why don't you check the vent on top of the trans case. Make sure it flows air. I put the trans seal in dry. Also, very important, make sure the pilot bearing in the flywheel is intact. If there is no bearing in there the shaft will flop around and cause a leak.
914itis
I did some digging on the pelican site and came up with the culprit. its not leaking on the seal, the oil id from the breather port and going down the axle. you are right Krieger
the orientation of the vent port is important. it should ne at 2'ocklock facing the back of the car.

I just verified that it was not, I will update the post once I test the car.
Krieger
Check the Haynes Manuel. It has a picture for proper orientation. IIRC it points towards the passenger seat. I think 45*off center.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.