Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing old throttle cable, it gets stuck when pulling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Groosh
Hi. I've been having problems with my throttle cable. It is sticking and from what I've read here the cable can operate smoothly with no load on it but then put a load on it and it hits wear areas that drag it. The pedal box bushings are good.

My concern is that when I pull it out from the engine bay, it gets stuck. The plastic sleeve comes out completely but the cable stops. The lock nut and fittings are off. It is simply the cable not pulling through.

So my question is, if it is getting stuck (on what I don't know) how will I ever push a new one through if I simply cut this one out? I don't want to pull too hard and get the original cable end stuck in the metal tube.

76-914
QUOTE(Groosh @ Apr 19 2017, 06:09 AM) *

Hi. I've been having problems with my throttle cable. It is sticking and from what I've read here the cable can operate smoothly with no load on it but then put a load on it and it hits wear areas that drag it. The pedal box bushings are good.

My concern is that when I pull it out from the engine bay, it gets stuck. The plastic sleeve comes out completely but the cable stops. The lock nut and fittings are off. It is simply the cable not pulling through.

So my question is, if it is getting stuck (on what I don't know) how will I ever push a new one through if I simply cut this one out? I don't want to pull too hard and get the original cable end stuck in the metal tube.

Try rotating the cable when pulling thru. There is a sweet spot but if your pulling too hard you won't feel it. beerchug.gif
Groosh
Thanks for the reply. I ended up giving it a good yank to remove it. Upon propping my head up as close as I could to the engine side tube, I realized it was slightly bent. I used a Phillips screw driver to bend it up (straight) and the cable went it smooth even with the larger bolt area of the after market cable. I've read some people had to file the part after the threads down to make it fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.