Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noooooo! My car will now not make it to Hershey...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dudzy's914
So I am getting ready for the drive on Friday, have Tangerine do some adjustmensats, drive it home and now it's on 3 cyclinders. Quickly got new plugs/wires/cap and rotors and still only on 3. Spark plug 1 was black and spark plug 2 was wet with gas. Anything else I can do?
BillC
Is it carbureted or fuel-injected? Still using points & condenser or converted to electronic ignition?

Have you tried inspecting the spark plugs? You might have a bad one. If you can't see anything obvious, try switching two plugs and see if the problem follows the plug or stays with the cylinder.

Also, have you inspected the points in the distributor? Maybe they weren't tightened properly and need re-adjustment.
dudzy's914
QUOTE(BillC @ Apr 19 2017, 11:51 AM) *

Is it carbureted or fuel-injected? Still using points & condenser or converted to electronic ignition?

Have you tried inspecting the spark plugs? You might have a bad one. If you can't see anything obvious, try switching two plugs and see if the problem follows the plug or stays with the cylinder.

Also, have you inspected the points in the distributor? Maybe they weren't tightened properly and need re-adjustment.

Fuel Injected l-jet. Replaced the spark plugs to see if that was the problem-nope, not it. brand new points and condenser.
cgnj
Hi,
Pullplug wires one @ a time to find out which hole is bad. Pull plug from bad hole. Check for spark.

I hate tossing parts @ a problem.
PotterPorsche
I had same issue my dirtibutir cap was old and corroded inside. Replaced fouled spark plug and distributor cap and rotor. Ran fine the next day at autocross
VaccaRabite
He knows exactly which cylinder is bad. Its #2.

Do a compression test on the bad cylinder. That will tell you if the problem is mechanical.
Ground the plug against the engine block and watch for spark. That will test electrical.
Pull the injector and spray it into a jar. make sure it sprays and not drips. That will test fuel delivery.

I'm assuming that the car is running rough but it is not making other bad noises.

Zach
Rand
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 19 2017, 05:09 PM) *

He knows exactly which cylinder is bad. Its #2.

Do a compression test on the bad cylinder. That will tell you if the problem is mechanical.
Ground the plug against the engine block and watch for spark. That will test electrical.
Pull the injector and spray it into a jar. make sure it sprays and not drips. That will test fuel delivery.

I'm assuming that the car is running rough but it is not making other bad noises.

Zach

agree.gif
If you don't have a compression tester, start with the spark test. Pull plug wire #2, stick a plug in it, ground its threads to the case, and watch for spark when someone cranks it. I love the tests that only take a minute but tell a lot.
ChrisFoley
I spoke with Finn late yesterday.

He did some diagnostics at my suggestion. The engine does run, but barely, and the problem doesn't seem to be isolated to one cylinder.

Since the car needs a clutch anyway its an easy decision to back out of taking it to Hershey.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.