Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sticker madness...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
One of our members sent me his engine bay sticker. Notice that it is for an EA code engine (1.7L 49-state), yet in the lower text it also says it conforms to CA-emissions. He confirms that he also has a COA that indicates his EA-code engine is original to his car, which was purchased in Ohio.

EA code engines are supposed to be 49-state engines and have an 80HP rating
EB code engines are supposed to be for CA-only engines and have a 72HP rating
Other factory literature confirms this.

Was there no EB code label for a 1973 1.7L California model? If you have one can you post it here?

McMark
I think it's really funny that there a possibility that this happened:

Worker: "Hey Boss, are you gonna make a sticker for these EB engine cars?"
Boss: "Nah, just use the EA code sticker. Like anyone is going to look that closely."

And then here we are 40 years later... av-943.gif

Don't have a picture, so this is just a free icon_bump.gif
914Sixer
Maybe some more of use what you have !
Dave_Darling
My understanding (and it has been long enough that I don't remember where I got this info from) was that the EB code was specifically only for 1973 1.7s, so an earlier 1.7 EA (or W) would indeed be CA compliant.

--DD
914_teener
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 19 2017, 06:27 PM) *

I think it's really funny that there a possibility that this happened:

Worker: "Hey Boss, are you gonna make a sticker for these EB engine cars?"
Boss: "Nah, just use the EA code sticker. Like anyone is going to look that closely."

And then here we are 40 years later... av-943.gif

Don't have a picture, so this is just a free icon_bump.gif

So are ya sayin Mark that it morphed from stickers to software?
Mikey914
Slippery slope .... we at least it took awhile. biggrin.gif
BillC
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 19 2017, 11:40 PM) *

My understanding (and it has been long enough that I don't remember where I got this info from) was that the EB code was specifically only for 1973 1.7s, so an earlier 1.7 EA (or W) would indeed be CA compliant.

--DD

I can confirm that the car in question is a 1973 1.7. And that it has the EA engine code stamped on the block.

The sticker says it's an EA code and that it complies with EPA and California emissions requirements. Maybe VW had been planning to bring out the EB engine for the '73 model year for CA, but then discovered in last-minute testing that the EA engine met both sets of requirements and didn't bother with the EB until later.

Are there any recorded EB engines for the '73 model year? Or did they come out later?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.