Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Instrument Panel/Steering Column paint coler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
My new lunch and evening hobby is going through the boxes of parts stripped from my car to clean and refurbish them. My steering wheel, column, instrument cluster panel, and instrument rings need repainting and I'd like to match the OEM color/finish as close as possible. Search turned up an old thread asking the same question, but no replies. But I'm sure the smart people here have the answer. Thoughts? unsure.gif
aturboman
SEM Trim Black is an excellent match and top quality paint. Typically you'll need to get it from a body shop supply place but you will not be disappointed. Not cheap either but no good paint ever is.
bbrock
QUOTE(aturboman @ Apr 20 2017, 09:10 AM) *

SEM Trim Black is an excellent match and top quality paint. Typically you'll need to get it from a body shop supply place but you will not be disappointed. Not cheap either but no good paint ever is.

Thanks! Looks like you can get it through Amazon for $14 https://www.amazon.com/SEM-39143-Trim-Black...l/dp/B000EM019O. Not cheap, but not bad either. Do you think it would take more than one can to paint everything using this color? IIRC, that would be the parts I mentioned before, plus tunnel access, panels, and parts of the dash panel that were sprayed black at the factory. I just remembered the pedal cluster. Would this be the right color for that as well? Still doesn't seem like a lot of paint.
bbrock
I have a follow up question. What about gray paint for the headlight retainers? What's a good match for that?
aturboman
Always buy one can more than you think you'll need. I do multiple lighter coats and it uses more paint but comes out very nicely.
For what you're doing I think you'll get by on 2 cans.

Regarding the HL grey I'd have to check what I've used before but it is essentially medium grey primer color except it shouldn't be primer but paint. So matt finish medium grey paint; you never see these parts so it will be close enough.
bbrock
QUOTE(aturboman @ Apr 21 2017, 12:23 PM) *

Always buy one can more than you think you'll need. I do multiple lighter coats and it uses more paint but comes out very nicely.
For what you're doing I think you'll get by on 2 cans.

Regarding the HL grey I'd have to check what I've used before but it is essentially medium grey primer color except it shouldn't be primer but paint. So matt finish medium grey paint; you never see these parts so it will be close enough.

Thanks. Medium gray is where I was leaning so I'll order a can of SEM med gray when I order the trim black. I had the same thought about worrying about a part that will never be seen, and this won't be a concours car. So I don't know why I care, but I'm a bit anal that way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.