Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introduction and Relay Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Evan0
Hello everyone, I've recently bought a 914 from a friend. Been trying to absorb as much info on the car in the last few of weeks and 914World has been most helpful. It's a 1972 914 with a LS1 from Renegade Hybrids.

IPB Image

I've been replacing seals and other worn out parts for a couple weeks. I finally got to replacing the old fuse holder with a new one from JWest Engineering. The harness is a mess. There are butt connectors everywhere and mismatch wire colors.

IPB Image

On to the my relay question. I'm planning on replacing the round relays with modern mini iso relays with the accompanying relay sockets. For the relay named "Combination Relay" in the wiring diagrams, the one that switches from high to low beam on the headlight, is it suppose to have a socket?

IPB Image

Mine was just wired directly to the crimp connectors and hanging loose behind the driver side speaker. Anyone know of a modern relay replacement or a modern socket at the least? Thanks for the help.
arne
That one is a special relay, I don't think there is a modern replacement, nor have I seen a socket for it. On a stock 914, the clip on the top slides into a hole on the relay/fuse plate, upside down with the terminals facing up. The wires do just connect directly without a socket.
vin man
Welcome!

It did not have a socket. But there is a clip on the top side of it that grabs a slot on the fuse block to hold the relay in place.

Here is my thread on replacing that relay. Pics in the thread. I replaced it with the 5 pin version and jumpered 2 wires successfully to get it to work.

Headlamp relay thread
timothy_nd28
Did Renegade Hybrid wire that?
Evan0
Thanks for the answers, much appreciated.

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Apr 20 2017, 11:34 AM) *

Did Renegade Hybrid wire that?

I have no idea on the harness wiring. The wiring on the ECU and the engine is impeccable though.
Coondog
Nice looking 914, show us engine pics. What part S.Cal you from.
PanelBilly
I wonder if the guy who sold it to you will still be your friend when you're pulling your hair out repairing all the wiring?

Welcome
Evan0
QUOTE(Coondog @ Apr 20 2017, 03:00 PM) *

Nice looking 914, show us engine pics. What part S.Cal you from.

I'm in LA. Couple pics of the engine bay.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Porschef
Wow. Once you cipher up all that spaghetti, should be an awesome ride... aktion035.gif
green914
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.