billh1963
taken from my sister's house. My house is the yellow one on columns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dcQqL4DB98
IronHillRestorations
Boo sad.gif That stinks!
mgp4591
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Sep 10 2017, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 9 2017, 05:37 PM) *

As good fortune prevails...Phillip does not have to evacuate after all and we still will have great weather in Georgia! A true win/win...everyone travel safely!

It looks like the roads are gonna get a good washing beforehand and the airline says they're flying so win/win there too! I rented an SUV just in case though... shades.gif

Annnd.... our flight was cancelled due to ATL shutting down. The explanation was excessive wind shear (ya think??) but we rescheduled for a Wednesday flight at the same time. We'll try it one more time.... except I get cheated out of 2 days with my kids. A lot easier to put up with than everyone in Florida has had it - hope they get the help and support they need quickly!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 11 2017, 10:46 AM) *

I'm probably out...this is my house with 2 more hours of incoming tide remaining.

I'll probably be cleaning up and repairing

Click to view attachment

If the masses agree I will propose that you be able to enter for prizes and I will personally pay the shipping costs to get any prize you win to you.
Matty900
Got the car loaded onto the trailer last night at about 1 a.m as I was packing the trailer it was about 2 a.m. when I got a call from my wife about the hurricane rolling through Georgia how bad things were going to be and it wouldn't know until it was too late if the event would be cancelled or not because I had to get on the road to make it to Utah to have work done on the car so I could even drive it. At this point I had to concede that it was probably not the best idea and the fact that if I went to Red Rocks that is only half the distance still 1200 miles I would have more time to get the car dial in and actually be able to enjoy it there. So unfortunately I will not be able to make it this year.
I was planning on bringing lots of cool stuff with me and I have had shipment of shirts already sent to the hotel that I have instructed the hotel to release them to Mike. We will get some stuff shipped out to show our love and would like to request that next year the Red Rocks event be taken into consideration and coordinated with for back-to-back weekends. I will make it to both of them and I believe I can bring a bunch of people with me driving.gif
Thoughts and prayers for everybody affected by the weather there. Be safe and I'll see you next year
Matt Whitesell
Garland
Will miss seeing you, till next year. Car looks great.
naro914
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 12 2017, 12:32 AM) *

Got the car loaded onto the trailer last night at about 1 a.m as I was packing the trailer it was about 2 a.m. when I got a call from my wife about the hurricane rolling through Georgia how bad things were going to be and it wouldn't know until it was too late if the event would be cancelled or not because I had to get on the road to make it to Utah to have work done on the car so I could even drive it. At this point I had to concede that it was probably not the best idea and the fact that if I went to Red Rocks that is only half the distance still 1200 miles I would have more time to get the car dial in and actually be able to enjoy it there. So unfortunately I will not be able to make it this year.
I was planning on bringing lots of cool stuff with me and I have had shipment of shirts already sent to the hotel that I have instructed the hotel to release them to Mike. We will get some stuff shipped out to show our love and would like to request that next year the Red Rocks event be taken into consideration and coordinated with for back-to-back weekends. I will make it to both of them and I believe I can bring a bunch of people with me driving.gif
Thoughts and prayers for everybody affected by the weather there. Be safe and I'll see you next year
Matt Whitesell

Damn, sorry to hear Matt
The event was never going to be cancelled. Rain is supposed to stop in Helen today or early tomorrow, giving plenty of time to "dry out" before the weekend.

The problem with "canceling" all together would be that everything is already paid for so everyone's money would have been wasted...though we would be mailing out 120+ shirts.

Scheduling for next year is going to be interesting with Rennsport Reunion playing a disruptive role. It will really limit our weekends available. Unfortunately we usually just have to go with what the venue has available, so hopefully we can work something out. At this point, we don't even know where it will be....

I'm really sorry to hear about people cancelling, but I totally understand...especially those that have been affected directly by the hurricane. Life and family certainly needs to come first in situations like this.

Everyone stay safe and we look forward to seeing most of you on Thursday.
naro914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 11 2017, 03:15 PM) *

taken from my sister's house. My house is the yellow one on columns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dcQqL4DB98

Wow Bill....really sorry to see this.
Hopefully everyone and everything - especially the cars (priorities here!) - escaped relatively unscathed, though those trucks don't look so good. sad.gif

914Next
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 12 2017, 06:22 AM) *

Matt Whitesell

Damn, sorry to hear Matt
The event was never going to be cancelled. Rain is supposed to stop in Helen today or early tomorrow, giving plenty of time to "dry out" before the weekend.

The problem with "canceling" all together would be that everything is already paid for so everyone's money would have been wasted...though we would be mailing out 120+ shirts.

Scheduling for next year is going to be interesting with Rennsport Reunion playing a disruptive role. It will really limit our weekends available. Unfortunately we usually just have to go with what the venue has available, so hopefully we can work something out. At this point, we don't even know where it will be....

I'm really sorry to hear about people cancelling, but I totally understand...especially those that have been affected directly by the hurricane. Life and family certainly needs to come first in situations like this.

Everyone stay safe and we look forward to seeing most of you on Thursday.

Sara and I will still be making it but will be coming in hot Friday am for the drive since I don't land in ATL from travels until Thursday evening. Really looking forward to it!.
poorsche914
... the fact that if I went to Red Rocks that is only half the distance still 1200 miles I would have more time to get the car dial in and actually be able to enjoy it there. So unfortunately I will not be able to make it this year...
Matt Whitesell

Sad to hear you won't be making it to Okteenerfest. Was really looking forward to seeing you and your 914. It looks fantastic!

driving.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 11 2017, 08:32 PM) *

Matt Whitesell

Will miss you Matt and seeing that AWESOME car.

I am sure everyone cant wait to see the goodies you sent.
Bills914-4
Hey Guys Sorry I'm out , we came thru with very little damage Thank God , NO ELECTRICITY since sat. 6 am , Luz & I have been cleaning up the yard & unpacking
everything we had pack away before hand , I'm plugged in to the neihbors generator
( the stator went bad on mine headbang.gif ) to keep my frigerator going , it's amazing to see the comunity come together , we were lucky no flooding in my area (no flood zone)
I'm able to connect right now because my daughter showed me how to turn my phone
into a hotspot ( go figure ) has anybody check in from the west coast , I HOPE ALL is
WELL , o-well I'll see everybody next year , GOD BLESS ALL Bill & Luz D.
ClayPerrine
We are departing home tomorrow morning. betty914.jpg driving.gif driving-girl.gif We will be stopping in Tuscaloosa for the night, yellowsleep[1].gif and plan on meeting up with Kelvin and Donna in Atlanta at 11 am for lunch. chowtime.gif Then on to Helen. driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Should be in Helen before 4pm on 9-14. cheer.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif

naro914
QUOTE(WLD419 @ Sep 12 2017, 04:25 PM) *

Hey Guys Sorry I'm out , we came thru with very little damage Thank God , NO ELECTRICITY since sat. 6 am , Luz & I have been cleaning up the yard & unpacking
everything we had pack away before hand , I'm plugged in to the neihbors generator
( the stator went bad on mine headbang.gif ) to keep my frigerator going , it's amazing to see the comunity come together , we were lucky no flooding in my area (no flood zone)
I'm able to connect right now because my daughter showed me how to turn my phone
into a hotspot ( go figure ) has anybody check in from the west coast , I HOPE ALL is
WELL , o-well I'll see everybody next year , GOD BLESS ALL Bill & Luz D.

We're sorry to hear Bill but totally understand. Stay safe, and good luck with getting everything back in order quickly.

See you next year!
naro914
oops, double post
naro914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 12 2017, 07:24 PM) *

We are departing home tomorrow morning. betty914.jpg driving.gif driving-girl.gif We will be stopping in Tuscaloosa for the night, yellowsleep[1].gif and plan on meeting up with Kelvin and Donna in Atlanta at 11 am for lunch. chowtime.gif Then on to Helen. driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Should be in Helen before 4pm on 9-14. cheer.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif

I have been told repeatedly that I have been remiss in reminding everyone that this year we are having a Tech Quiz as part of Okteenerfest!

Clay has put together what will undoubtedly be a challenging Tech Quiz to test your 914 knowledge.

The Tech Quiz will be administered during the Car Show from 11-12 in the Pavilion.
Each car 'team' (so those solo have a team of 1) will get one Tech Quiz.

More details as you arrive... biggrin.gif laugh.gif
billh1963
Unfortunately I am out. I'll be cleaning up Hurricane debris and repairing damage.

I cancelled my room. So, there should be one available if needed.

bulitt
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 13 2017, 05:43 AM) *

Unfortunately I am out. I'll be cleaning up Hurricane debris and repairing damage.

I cancelled my room. So, there should be one available if needed.

Wow! Sorry to hear that Bill sad.gif
Hope it goes smoothly! Be Safe!
Garland
Hit the road this morning and it's raining in Michigan.
Rain on the windshield.
Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 13 2017, 06:48 AM) *

Hit the road this morning and it's raining in Michigan.
Rain on the windshield.
Click to view attachment

Safe Travels! Love the photo! Better without rain!
Mblizzard
Our good friends at Pirelli wants to let everyone know about a promotion they have supporting MADD. Also comes with a pretty good rebate.
Click to view attachment
stevend914
About to leave for my 11am appointment, then I'll hit the road for a Lexington, KY overnight stay. Looks like I could hit some rain around Louisville.
Jake Raby
Guys... Though we were not in Irma's direct path, we still got hammered during the storm. No building of car damage, but definitely a ton of property damage. The shop in Cleveland, where the Okteenerfest group is scheduled to stop by for lunch on Friday still has no power. The road in front of the shop is also closed, and likely will be for 36 more hours at least. We will also likely have no power for the next 36 hours.

Though its not official, my EMS friends locally have said we had a microburst right over the top of us, as there's a lot of damage within a 1/2 mile of the shop, but hardly anything beyond this area that compares to what we've seen. Being atop Raby Mtn didn't help anything, for sure.

We spent all day yesterday cutting up trees across both our driveways, just so we could access the building.

There are trees down all over the property, and it looks like a small war occurred. Debris is everywhere... We have very little data capability on phones and etc as cell towers are down. I'd share pics if I could.

So, no matter what, it won't be very impressive here for the group on Friday. This is disappointing, as I had planned dyno demonstrations, and etc... Now it looks like we'll be in the dark! If not in the dark, we won't have time to do more than prep an area for lunch.

Luckily we can still have lunch, though if the road is still closed we may have to go to a back up plan, which I am working with Bob to create now.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 13 2017, 07:32 AM) *

Guys... Though we were not in Irma's direct path, we still got hammered during the storm. No building of car damage, but definitely a ton of property damage. The shop in Cleveland, where the Okteenerfest group is scheduled to stop by for lunch on Friday still has no power. The road in front of the shop is also closed, and likely will be for 36 more hours at least. We will also likely have no power for the next 36 hours.

Though its not official, my EMS friends locally have said we had a microburst right over the top of us, as there's a lot of damage within a 1/2 mile of the shop, but hardly anything beyond this area that compares to what we've seen. Being atop Raby Mtn didn't help anything, for sure.

We spent all day yesterday cutting up trees across both our driveways, just so we could access the building.

There are trees down all over the property, and it looks like a small war occurred. Debris is everywhere... We have very little data capability on phones and etc as cell towers are down. I'd share pics if I could.

So, no matter what, it won't be very impressive here for the group on Friday. This is disappointing, as I had planned dyno demonstrations, and etc... Now it looks like we'll be in the dark! If not in the dark, we won't have time to do more than prep an area for lunch.

Luckily we can still have lunch, though if the road is still closed we may have to go to a back up plan, which I am working with Bob to create now.

I have a couple of generators. Small Honda 2000 I could likely get in the 914. Small 1500 that will fit in 915. Larger 4,000 that is too big to get in the 914. Let me know and we could work something out. I can likely get the 2 small ones to the hotel but not the large one.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 13 2017, 07:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 13 2017, 07:32 AM) *

I have a couple of generators. Small Honda 2000 I could likely get in the 914. Small 1500 that will fit in 915. Larger 4,000 that is too big to get in the 914. Let me know and we could work something out. I can likely get the 2 small ones to the hotel but not the large one.

I have a decent generator running lights and the office at the shop.. The issue is the road being closed, and the fact that the property looks like green bomb went off. No way not to have a bit of a bad impression for you guys considering this.
Al Meredith
Jake , I was just talking to Larry Mortimor and he has a 4,000 Watt generator that runs on propane that you can borrow if you need it. I'll drive it up today if you need it. Al Meredith
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Sep 13 2017, 07:50 AM) *

Jake , I was just talking to Larry Mortimor and he has a 4,000 Watt generator that runs on propane that you can borrow if you need it. I'll drive it up today if you need it. Al Meredith

Thanks Al,
The problem isn't power, we could have a picnic for lunch outside the shop.

The road is closed off on both sides of the facility, and since the jail is next door the deputies are constantly giving us a hard time as we drive around the road closed signs... No way will they let this many 914s pass through.

Bob and I are working on a back up plan that will route the cars to the local church just up the road. This will disrupt the mapped out routes the least amount possible.

We can have a picnic lunch at the Church parking lot, then everyone can go on their way. This can happen even with the road closed, and even if we have no power.
Garland
More rain, but all's dry inside thanks to the 914 rubber target seal!

Click to view attachment

Chick-fil-A for lunch in Florence Ky

Click to view attachment
naro914
Gotta love Plan B's...and C in this case. barf.gif

As Jake said, we're working on an alternate plan for lunch if we have to use it. Additionally, we've learned that at least one of our main roads from our driving route is closed as of right now (which unfortunately we're on both in the morning AND afternoon) It could open by Friday, but just in case, I'll be working on a Plan late tonight to avoid it - yes...new routes using Google Maps (anyone remember 2013??)

All of these Plan B and C options will be 'game time decisions' on where we go, so you'll need to bring the directions we provide in the registration packet to the Friday AM drivers meeting (and a pen/sharpie/highlighter/crayon/blood would be helpful). I will do my best to provide as much detail as possible for any changes we need to make.

An email will go out tonight to everyone that signed up explaining where we are.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 13 2017, 03:48 PM) *
Chick-fil-A for lunch in Florence Ky

Excellent choice chowtime.gif
DRPHIL914
car is a mess from all the bugs , this will be fum to clean tonight or tomorrow
i have time- will be there tonight!
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 13 2017, 04:46 PM) *

car is a mess from all the bugs , this will be fum to clean tonight or tomorrow
i have time- will be there tonight!

Have a safe trip! See if Bob will give you my t-shirt and goodie bag since I'm all paid up smile.gif
naro914
For all those that can't make it because of what you're dealing with: if you saw door prizes that Michael posted that you would like us to submit your tickets for, please email me directly to naro@carolina.rr.com so we can make sure you're covered (put Okteenerfest tickets in the subject so I don't lose it). We will ship whatever you win, no problem (unless Michael keeps it...then... dry.gif

We will also ship the shirts, and all the other 'goodies' that go with registration.

Again, so sorry you're all dealing with this...

rmdinmd
decided to stay the night in a familiar place
Click to view attachment
will arrive in Helen, Ga via the tail of the dragon. piratenanner.gif
Click to view attachment
driving.gif
Mikey914
I hate to say this but Matt's not going to make it. His window for departure is 36 hours over what would be required. As you can see from the numerous threads on the barn find build and asking about all the little gremlins on the forum, you can see that it was a monumental push to get it street ready, and it's not even 100%.

I did send a care package down and we are offering some other support that you will get once you arrive.

Wish we could be there, but will be there next year for sure.

Mark
Mblizzard
Well got one car packed with loot and a 914 that seems reasonably operationable.

Feel just very under prepared for the trip. Not enough space, not enough time, and I hate going in light!

All I do now is start out for Helen in the morning and hope for the best.

No matter what happens with my car my wife will deliver the loot. driving-girl.gif
ClayPerrine
Betty and I are in Tuscaloosa for the night. We left home at 10 am, and it is now 9:30. We have seen a SUV gettting towed backwards causing the rear side windows to blow out, 7 different law enforcement personnel writing tickets, one idiot in a pickup well up in the triple digits on a damp road, and we have now gassed up in every state we have passed through. Betty's 914 is getting somewhere around 29 MPG, so we are impressed with that.

We have pictures, but we are way too tired to post them.

We will see you in Helen tomorrow afternoon.

ClayPerrine
OH, and Bob...

Remember what my boss says... "If plan A fails, there are always 25 more letters in the alphabet."

We will have a good time no matter what.

BillC
Leaving now. See y'all this evening.
ClayPerrine
I gotta say one thing about this trip. These are the simplest directions ever.

1. Go out the driveway.
2. Turn right.
3. Turn left out of our neighborhood.
4. Turn Right to get on the highway.
5. Take the I 20 East ramp.
6. Turn left at Atlanta.

biggrin.gif
Garland
Slept well, and we did too. Off with the cover and hit the road to Helen.
4.5 hrs to go!
Click to view attachment
naro914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 13 2017, 10:31 PM) *

OH, and Bob...

Remember what my boss says... "If plan A fails, there are always 25 more letters in the alphabet."

We will have a good time no matter what.

We may be getting into double letter plans by the time it's all done!!

So last night I thought I turned off the sprinkler system. Had to turn it in briefly to mark the sprinkler heads as they are aerating/seeding tomorrow. Huey is on the trailer backed in the yard...and got a nice bath last night... unfortunately all it did was collect all the dirt/dust into little droplets.. sad.gif

See you all later today
914dave
Happy 9-14! Really bummed I had to cancel this trip. Was looking forward to meeting some new people. Just wanted to wish everyone safe travels and a have a great time!
daytona
Hi to all that are going to Okteenerfest.
I can't go but one of my buddies is going. Wish you all a safe and fun event. Please post a lot of pics so those that could not go can enjoy it also.
Happy 914 day.
Bill.
76-914
You guys have a safe and GREAT time. Ditto on lots of pic's. beerchug.gif
Jake Raby
We won't have any power... So, a picnic it is for lunch tomorrow!
Road is still closed, we'lljust pretend we didn't see the signs..

We've killed it the last couple days cleaning up the property...
it took most of one day just to clear you guys a place to park..

See y'all tomorrow!
JawjaPorsche
The Teeners are rolling in!
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 14 2017, 03:07 PM) *

We won't have any power... So, a picnic it is for lunch tomorrow!
Road is still closed, we'lljust pretend we didn't see the signs..

We've killed it the last couple days cleaning up the property...
it took most of one day just to clear you guys a place to park..

See y'all tomorrow!

Thank you Jake for letting us invade your space.
914Next
Packing up. Leaving early am and hope to be there around 7:30.

Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
Teeners at Jake Raby's shop today!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.