Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creaking sound when turning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrblackbox
I get an annoying creak when turning the steering wheel. Most noticeably when parking or turning the wheel at low speeds. What can I do to rid my car of this?
Dave_Darling
Is it just from turning the wheel, or from turning the wheel while the car is moving?

If the former, there's something going on with your steering column. Replacing the bushing in the column might work, or cleaning up and re-lubing or loosening and re-positioning the universal joints in the column. If the latter, the tire is likely rubbing on one fender or the other. Fixing that requires changing tires or wheels, or some work with a BFH or roller.

--DD
jrblackbox
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 21 2017, 08:56 AM) *

Is it just from turning the wheel, or from turning the wheel while the car is moving?

If the former, there's something going on with your steering column. Replacing the bushing in the column might work, or cleaning up and re-lubing or loosening and re-positioning the universal joints in the column. If the latter, the tire is likely rubbing on one fender or the other. Fixing that requires changing tires or wheels, or some work with a BFH or roller.

--DD

It is coming from the column itself. The noise is right there at the column, appears to be up by the steering wheel.
Dave_Darling
Probably the bushing then. You're going to have to disassemble stuff to find out.

--DD
johnhora
Couple questions....
Has your 914 suspension lowered in the front?
Do you have a front sway bar...stock or after market.
jrblackbox
QUOTE(johnhora @ Apr 21 2017, 04:10 PM) *

Couple questions....
Has your 914 suspension lowered in the front?
Do you have a front sway bar...stock or after market.

yes, I did lower it. no sway bar.
johnhora
Thanks...
Do you have spacers on the steering rack mounting points?
They look like large thick washers. Usually aluminum material.
cwpeden
Ball joint?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.