Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torsion Bar question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowBridge
I hope this is a simple question..

I'm trying to find out what the difference in spline count is on the 914-4 ver 914-6 torsion bars. I have a 1975 914-4 and want to go to 21mm but it seems most suppliers have mixed the 914-4 with the 914-6 and the 6's don't fix on the 4's splines.

thank you in advance with your answers.. beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
The search function is your friend. smile.gif
Answer found in this thread. Click me
tygaboy
QUOTE(LowBridge @ Apr 21 2017, 08:27 AM) *

I hope this is a simple question..

I'm trying to find out what the difference in spline count is on the 914-4 ver 914-6 torsion bars. I have a 1975 914-4 and want to go to 21mm but it seems most suppliers have mixed the 914-4 with the 914-6 and the 6's don't fix on the 4's splines.

thank you in advance with your answers.. beerchug.gif

914 torsion bars have 29 splines, 911 have 30.
Ask me how I know... I've been shipped 911 bars TWICE.

And they are "sided" so be sure you install them on the correct side of the car. They are stamped in the end with "R" or "L". At least the stock ones are...
LowBridge
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 21 2017, 11:44 AM) *

The search function is your friend. smile.gif
Answer found in this thread. Click me

epic troll but I had it coming... thank you beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 21 2017, 08:45 AM) *
And they are "sided" so be sure you install them on the correct side of the car. They are stamped in the end with "R" or "L". At least the stock ones are...

From what I have read, there is actually no difference in the L and R torsion bars as they are made. They do, however, "take a set" after being stressed in one direction for years, and reversing that stress tends to cause failures. So getting the "L" on the left side is only important if it came out of the left side...

Note that flipping the bar around front-to-back actually has no effect on the direction of stress through the bar, so getting them in the same orientation that way is not critical.

--DD
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(LowBridge @ Apr 21 2017, 11:48 AM) *

epic troll but I had it coming... thank you beerchug.gif

It does help to know what you're looking for in advance. biggrin.gif
FWIW, the answer is also in Dr. 914's 700 Tech Tips book, as Ed pointed out to me a little while ago.
krazykonrad

Why? That seems pretty arbitrary and pointless.

tygaboy
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Apr 21 2017, 04:28 PM) *

Why? That seems pretty arbitrary and pointless.

Those crazy Germans fell victim to the "more is better" syndrome...?
ConeDodger
I find my car handles better, and is more comfortable when I leave the bars stock and adjust the suspension with an adjustable sway bar like Tarret...
jmitro
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 21 2017, 11:54 AM) *

Note that flipping the bar around front-to-back actually has no effect on the direction of stress through the bar, so getting them in the same orientation that way is not critical.

--DD

if I understand you correctly, I don't see any possible way that is true. the torsional load through the long axis of the bar reverses if the bar is flipped front to rear on the same side
tygaboy
QUOTE(jmitro @ Apr 22 2017, 07:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 21 2017, 11:54 AM) *

--DD

if I understand you correctly, I don't see any possible way that is true. the torsional load through the long axis of the bar reverses if the bar is flipped front to rear on the same side

I scratched my head on this one, too. Ended up using a pretzel rod I was eating to prove it out:
Hold the pretzel as though it's the right (pass) side and you're standing on that side of the car. So the rear of the torsion pretzel is in your left hand, front in your right.
The rear (your left hand) is fixed in the cross member. As the suspension compresses, the front, outside twists up (clockwise, if viewed from the front). The rear is held in place but essentially, to counter the twist, it would otherwise have to twist counter-clockwise (if viewed from the rear).
I had to mark my pretzel (?!?!) to note the direction of the twist on each end.
Then I turned it around. Applying the same suspension force causes the same directional twist.
It took me a few times to prove this to myself but I'm with Mr. Darling: So long as you keep the torsion bar on the same side of the car, it's all good.

SirAndy
QUOTE(jmitro @ Apr 22 2017, 07:25 AM) *
the torsional load through the long axis of the bar reverses if the bar is flipped front to rear on the same side

No.

Turning one end in one direction will turn the other end in the *same* direction when viewed from the other end.

Flipping the bar (on the same side of the car) will *not* reverse the direction of the stress.
shades.gif
Dave_Darling
The twisting on a torsion bar effectively is one way on one end and the other way on the other end. (Holding one end still and twisting the other.) So flipping the ends gives you the same directions of twist.

Think about a nut and bolt. Thread the bolt into the nut. You turn it clockwise, right? Then take it apart, turn it around, and thread the nut onto the bolt. Clockwise again!

That's basically the same deal.

--DD
jmitro
ah, gotcha. beerchug.gif
I fail at mechanics LOL headbang.gif
Dave_Darling
Nah, it's not a fail. It's just something that is counterintuitive at first. I think I had to draw some arrows on a paper towel tube to really get it...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.