Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resto-Thread: '73 Marathon Blue 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
914_7T3
More Wiring Harness Clean Up & Taping Today with Oscar's Secret Weapon: Methyl Ethyl Ketone! Some Before & After Pics!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
looks so awesome, wish i could have done mine to this level! well, maybe the next one.

even as i work on my own , your documentation has helped me as well.
burton73
Do not get MEK on your paint. You should use a respirator and gloves with it as well.

Carful that shit can catch fire very easy.

Bob B
73-914
IIRC the flash-point is around 80F
raynekat
I've always used 3M general purpose adhesive remover.

It's good on most things.
Have to do a test on some plastics as it will melt them.

Not quite as toxic/dangerous as some of these other things.

Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Looking great sir Jeffrey! Hope you will able to drive it before winter comes! Or maybe you can drive it if there will be 2nd Temecula Day at sir Oscar’s place this september.
sb914
Jeff, thought you might want to see, as Here's my 45 year old harness. Never touched! Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(sb914 @ Jul 29 2018, 04:41 PM) *

Jeff, thought you might want to see, as Here's my 45 year old harness. Never touched! Click to view attachment

That looks really nice! There was some type of water leak that rusted my wiper linkage and stained all the wiring with rust, so it was necessary to get in there.

The existing rubber over the terminals was virtually melted on so glad its been taken care of. Connectors have been cleaned, with new heat shrink as well. Hopefully, this will eliminate any potential electrical issues down the road.

ValcoOscar
Way to go... beerchug.gif

Keep it up.

Oscar
Freezin 914
Great project! I am sure all of us like to see progress being made, keeps some of us “slackers” a little less slackerish, and keeps us more motivated! Looks great! beerchug.gif
arne
Looks like it is coming along nicely, Jeffery. Sorry I couldn't get free to meet up with you when you came through these parts a bit ago. Looking forward to seeing this car complete and back on the road. Werks?
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Jul 29 2018, 07:57 PM) *

Looks like it is coming along nicely, Jeffery. Sorry I couldn't get free to meet up with you when you came through these parts a bit ago. Looking forward to seeing this car complete and back on the road. Werks?

Thanks Arne! Looks like your FJ project is a lot more involved than the 914 and you will soon be ready for paint. That will be a big turning point so Congrats on your progress.

I'm just trying to tackle as much reassembly as possible before the drive train goes back in. Have also learned that no shortcuts can be taken once there is access to all areas. Makes no sense to skip a step and have to revisit it again. Still learning, but I just want to get it finished and enjoy the car. Now Shooting for Mid September-Early October completion, but even that is ambitious. Its just going to take the time that it takes.

As for Werks, I will be there, but the 914 will not. Hope to see you there.

beerchug.gif
arne
Don't think I'm going to make it to Werks this year. Too much PCA stuff gong on locally, and I seem to have my fingers in all of it.
914_7T3
After several weeks, finally done cleaning up the wiring harness except for repair of the pinched headlight motor wires (thats for later).

Prepped the engine bay, rear trunk & frunk with new plastic for the metal tabs and a coat of wax too. Finally in a place where various pieces/parts can be re-installed, Drive Train included!

914_7T3
Bonus Project-New Gas Cap Seal

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bbrock
Fantabulous work! I hope I can get where you are some day. Right now that seems like a long way off. Here's to the inspiration you give me. beerchug.gif
Dion
Your car is coming along beautifully. Marathon Blue.....Mmmmm
Very nice progress. I’m sure you can’t wait to... driving.gif
Certainly tuned in.
simonjb
Looking great !

A suggestion - you may find it easier to remove the front hood while finishing up all the front end...
914_7T3
Distracted with Monterey Car Week, but had the chance to clean up some parts for reassembly a bit this afternoon:

Fresh Air Box
Fan Motor
Air Deflectors
Windshield Fluid Resevoir

Tech tip: the plastic pry tools used to install rubber trim doubles as a great scraper for plastic parts that does not scratch. Was able tremove a great deal of baked on oil from the air deflectors with an all natural non-toxic cleaner and the the scraper with excellent results.

Only photgraphed the dirty one 2/3rds through the clean up, they were actually pretty bad to start.

Every part of this car will be cleaned, refurbished or replaced!

Click to view attachment

Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif
burton73
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 29 2018, 02:26 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

I see you and raise you!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Bob B
914_7T3
QUOTE(burton73 @ Aug 29 2018, 03:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 29 2018, 02:26 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

I see you and raise you!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Bob B

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. Now that I'm back from Monterey, I am more motivated than ever to get this finished.

Spoke at length today with @Eric_Shea regarding the brakes and even though the calipers were rebuilt in 2012 by PMB through @McMark at Original Customs, we're going to do them again as the car lived outside for several years in Santa Cruz.

Click to view attachment

More importantly, PMB is going to restore the Pressure Regulator too. Strangely enough, I had no idea what this part was or its function. For such an important element of the braking system, I'm surprised that I've never seen any mention of it in the forums since I acquired the car last April.

Another shout out to our great member vendors for the invaluable service that they provide!

driving.gif first.gif
Larmo63
Actually, there have been a ton of discussion about the rear pressure compensation brake valve.

Your car is coming along very nicely, slowly but surely. smilie_pokal.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 29 2018, 07:01 PM) *

Actually, there has been tons of discussion about the rear pressure compensation brake valve.

Your car is coming along very nicely, slowly but surely. smilie_pokal.gif

Things are about to get moving a little quicker as its scheduled to get over to the shop next week to get the drive train and Frunk Junk Reinstalled.

Also called Hagerty earlier today and upped the insurance to full value!

w00t.gif

914_7T3
Also part of the brake restoration:

ATE 19mm Master Cylinder (only other upgrade than Turbo Tie Rods)

NOS Left & OEM Right Replacement E-Brake Cables

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Heads have been finished and motor is complete awaiting test fire.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The car will now be completed underneath before the drive train gets installed including the following:

ATE 19mm Master Cylinder
rebuilt pedal cluster from @bdstone914
rebuilt pedal board
OEM accelerator pedal
Rebuilt Calipers & Pressure Regulator from @eric_shea
ATE & FTE soft lines.
OEM Gemo cables: accelerator, clutch & speedo too!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

With the wheels off the car, they are currently in for Refinishing too!

More pics to follow!
ndfrigi
One more week and this car should be on the road already!
914_7T3
This restored set of rear calipers arrived today from @eric_shea at PMB with some cool swag! Cores were shipped yesterday.

Remember to support our member vendors!!!!

drunk.gif

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Front Drop Links are now complete with new bushings from @Mikey914

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Rear Calipers & Pressure Regulator from @eric_shea also installed

Going to run the existing pads and rotors as they are still very good!

Clutch, Accelerator, Speedo, Ebrake Cables and Soft Lines are all in along with rebuilt Pedal Cluster and Master Cylinder.

Slowly, but surely!

914_7T3
Got the set of 5/73 date matched Fuchs Refinished at Al Reed Polishing in Anaheim. Also added a period correct 165 SR 15 Michelin XZX for the spare.

wub.gif

ValcoOscar
willis.gif willis.gif willis.gif willis.gif willis.gif

14.gif
tygaboy
Wow... You'll have one of THE nicest cars on the planet! Great job. drooley.gif
burton73
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 9 2018, 03:33 PM) *

agree.gif

Bob B
porschetub
Wow 100 point show car here,be interesting to see insurance valve,when asked the condition do you say brand new ???...….I would in this case,well done smilie_pokal.gif .
pete000
Who is doing your cad plating, looks really good...
914_7T3
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 9 2018, 09:30 PM) *

Wow 100 point show car here,be interesting to see insurance valve,when asked the condition do you say brand new ???...….I would in this case,well done smilie_pokal.gif .

The insurance value on the car was increased in late August with Hagerty from $25,000 to full value at $55,000.

One week later, after Monterey Car Week, the Hagerty valuation was increased to $66,900. This is something that should be watched closely at least twice a year.
914_7T3
QUOTE(pete000 @ Oct 9 2018, 10:10 PM) *

Who is doing your cad plating, looks really good...

Van Nuys Plating
914_7T3
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 9 2018, 03:33 PM) *

Shooting for top tenth percentile anyway. There are some other amazing cars out this way that I can think of offhand including the 914-6s belonging to @SoCalAndy and @banananose914

Hope to get really close to the level of those two examples. driving.gif driving.gif
914_7T3
Sunset Porsche comes through again. Truth be known that these Genuine Porsche Caps are closer to the @mikey914 version than the original 45 year old ones.

Therefore, I'll still be looking looking for a set of NOS caps.

Also refurbed the E-Brake handle with fresh Powder Coating, Plating and a new bushing!

arne
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 11 2018, 02:12 PM) *

Sunset Porsche comes through again. Truth be known that these Genuine Porsche Caps are closer to the @mikey914 version than the original 45 year old ones.

That's going to be a hard thing to find, Jeffery. The set of NOS that came with my car had date codes on the boxes from June 1989. I don't recall that they were the same as the originals, probably similar to the current parts. So just NOS probably won't do, you are going to have to find NROS (New REALLY Old Stock).

IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 11 2018, 10:46 PM) *

That's going to be a hard thing to find, Jeffery. The set of NOS that came with my car had date codes on the boxes from June 1989. I don't recall that they were the same as the originals, probably similar to the current parts. So just NOS probably won't do, you are going to have to find NROS (New REALLY Old Stock).

IPB Image

shades.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...290&hl=caps

I promised Jeffrey the next set.

what was funny about that sale was I immediately got a PM about how I was charging too much and nobody was going to buy. New from Porsche was only $275 and nobody cares about the difference. I'm fine with what I sold them for but there are some parts that make people dig deep.
914_7T3
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 11 2018, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(arne @ Oct 11 2018, 10:46 PM) *

IPB Image

shades.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...290&hl=caps

I promised Jeffrey the next set.

what was funny about that sale was I immediately got a PM about how I was charging too much and nobody was going to buy. New from Porsche was only $275 and nobody cares about the difference. I'm fine with what I sold them for but there are some parts that make people dig deep.

drooley.gif
914_7T3
Spent some time cleaning misc parts this afternoon. Love the before and after pics, especially when parts come out close to new!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

914_7T3
Some progress on getting the motor completed, but got hung up on the fact that I needed to order a new set of Manifold Spacers. Should have those delivered before Thanksgiving. big push to get the car back moving under its own power by Christmas.

Click to view attachment

Spent the day organizing and prepping parts for reassembly. Front drop links are installed as is the new ATE Master Cylinder.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Also swapped out steering wheels and my rear sway bar brackets as those missed the first round of plating.

Click to view attachment

See a new thread for an upcoming mini tech session on December 8th in the Valley, all our welcome.
iankarr
NIce to see the great progress! Congrats!
914_7T3
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Nov 17 2018, 08:34 PM) *

@cuddy_k Let me know if you will be back in town Dec 8th, I'm planning a tech session to do the dash install, wiper linkage and airbox install! We could really use your expertise.

beerchug.gif
rstover
The fan housing looks great. Is it paint or powder coated.
914_7T3
QUOTE(rstover @ Nov 18 2018, 09:09 AM) *

The fan housing looks great. Is it paint or powder coated.

@rstover It is the original bare magnesium finish. The fan housing was tumble blasted, not sure as to the type of media used.
iankarr
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 18 2018, 01:10 AM) *

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Nov 17 2018, 08:34 PM) *

@cuddy_k Let me know if you will be back in town Dec 8th, I'm planning a tech session to do the dash install, wiper linkage and airbox install! We could really use your expertise.

beerchug.gif

Sounds like a great day. Would love to meet Oscar too. No current plans to be out west on 12/8, but with my schedule, who knows? Happy to facetime and join the party virtually. I onlhy have two working brain cells left, but you're welcome to them. BTW, I had four cells, but the airbox killed one, and the DAP Weldwood cement for the upper dash vinyl snuffed the other smile.gif
914_7T3
Paid a visit to @bdstone914 earlier today to pick up some odds & ends that needed freshening and ended up with this perfectly powder coated air filter box.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.