Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resto-Thread: '73 Marathon Blue 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
bbrock
Are you familiar with the spirit lines that Navajo weavers weave into the edge of their rugs? A little flaw that allows the soul that the weaver put into the work to find a path home so it isn't trapped. Your car is so perfect, you might want to think about adding a spirit line. pray.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 20 2018, 07:51 PM) *

Are you familiar with the spirit lines that Navajo weavers weave into the edge of their rugs? A little flaw that allows the soul that the weaver put into the work to find a path home so it isn't trapped. Your car is so perfect, you might want to think about adding a spirit line. pray.gif

@bbrock I am now! I've got a few spirit lines on the car, just not posting any close ups of those. laugh.gif

Love the pics on your wiring harness, very well done!

beerchug.gif
914_7T3
Cleaned up and installed the oil cooler bracket yesterday on the rebuild.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Alternator is now attached with the new harness from @mikey914

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

NOS Bosch wiper arms, washer jets and fuel pump rubber boot arrived from Bug City in CT where I found my NOS Camshaft last year.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Also received the much needed NOS Axle hardware from @914Sixer This stuff is labelled Made in W Germany and dates back to the '80s drooley.gif

Click to view attachment

Larmo63
Uhhhh, those are supposed to be KAMAX bolts holding everything together.

I'm calling the concours weenies and telling on you.

stirthepot.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 24 2018, 05:32 PM) *

Uhhhh, those are supposed to be KAMAX bolts holding everything together.

I'm calling the concours weenies and telling on you.

stirthepot.gif

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

drunk.gif
Mikey914
How did you like the fit of the new oil cooler gasket. It should grab the sheet metal better to stay on while installing. biggrin.gif
914_7T3
After a 14 month slumber, GA004853 roared back to life and ran nice and smooth. New Sachs Clutch kit has been installed & balanced and she's off the motor stand. Now getting ready to re-install!

Some before and after pics for dramatic effect!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

bbrock
SWEET!!!! piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
mepstein
beerchug.gif
Dion
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 24 2018, 05:22 PM) *

Cleaned up and installed the oil cooler bracket yesterday on the rebuild.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Alternator is now attached with the new harness from @mikey914

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

NOS Bosch wiper arms, washer jets and fuel pump rubber boot arrived from Bug City in CT where I found my NOS Camshaft last year.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Also received the much needed NOS Axle hardware from @914Sixer This stuff is labelled Made in W Germany and dates back to the '80s drooley.gif

Click to view attachment

“Holy time warp Batman” that’s great. A beautiful flat 4!
Jeffery,
Congratulations.. Great Build..
914/Alan
DRPHIL914
looking great!! its nice to meet goals and hit milestones! you know its getting close when the motor goes in!
make sure you have good ground on the alternator! i found that out the hard way after it was all in and done. if paint on the fan housing is too thick it wont ground well thru the case .
Where did you get the NOS wiper assemblies?? i would love to source a set .
this is going to be a very nice , top 10 restoration for sure!
TravisNeff
That engine cleaned up nicely!
914_7T3
Dash, Wiper Linkage, Fresh Air Box, Vents & Control Cables were installed yesterday as part of the SoCal Tech Session.

Details can be found in the below link to a separate thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=334539

Once again before and after pics for dramatic effect!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Now the drive train and fuel system can be installed along with the windshield. I hope things will move quickly from this point forward!

smile.gif
914_7T3
Finally received the 50mm diameter vent to mixing box hoses from @mikey914 along with the wiper hose kit. Fuel tank that I picked up from @burton73 is now installed as well. Happy to be finally done with the frunk junk aspect of this project!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hopefully drivetrain goes in soon and then the the car gets back home for the final push.
Mikey914
Dry nic, I love it when a project comes together.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
beautiful job! Your car's brother just arrived here Saturday for a complete reassembly. Do not particularly like the polish on the wheels, but that was the owner's choice.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Scored a set of NOS Half Shafts yesterday! Original Boxes were still sealed too! blink.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
beerchug.gif
914_7T3
Transmission leak fixed by swapping out the Speedo Angle Drive, Seal & Gasket with OEM VDO unit.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Acquired a really clean AAR & additional NOS Parts from @914Sixer & AASE Sales

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

and this NOS driver's side seatbelt from @dr914@autoatlanta.com

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914_7T3
All the mechanical pieces parts are installed. Just need to dial it in!

Before & After!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

bbrock
That looks fabulous! cheer.gif Wait... uh, oh... is that tin missing a "621" stamp? poke.gif av-943.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 4 2019, 07:30 PM) *

That looks fabulous! cheer.gif Wait... uh, oh... is that tin missing a "621" stamp? poke.gif av-943.gif

@bbrock The 621 is only visible under ultraviolet light along with the Kamax markings on some of the bolts. However, you'll need to come out to Cali sometime to verify firsthand if the "35" marking is present on the underside of the engine bar. In fact, please consider joining us at the WCR, we'd love to have you!
914_7T3
Powder Coated Seat Frames with cleaned up hardware and new bushings from @Mikey914

Click to view attachment

Hope to have the repainted seat rail handles wet sanded and fininshed up tomorrow!

914_7T3
Today's project was refurbing the tail lights. Spent the afternoon cleaning and wet sanding the housings by hand with 1,000 grit progressively up to 7,000 grit. After a coat of wax, installed new German "Jahne" bulbs for the 21W double and single filaments.

Installed the set of Hellas lenses that I bought from @Mike Fitton some time ago and was surprised by how nice they turned out.

Before & After!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
FlacaProductions
After meeting Jeffrey yesterday (he kindly passed on a washer fluid tank that my 74 is missing..) I was compelled to read all 17 pages. What a journey of dedication and commitment. Wow. I'm lucky enough to live close by and look forward to seeing this on the road very soon. Did i say wow already? (and Jeffrey - if you ever need a hand on anything, just yell...)
914_7T3
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ May 14 2019, 07:59 PM) *

After meeting Jeffrey yesterday (he kindly passed on a washer fluid tank that my 74 is missing..) I was compelled to read all 17 pages. What a journey of dedication and commitment. Wow. I'm lucky enough to live close by and look forward to seeing this on the road very soon. Did i say wow already? (and Jeffrey - if you ever need a hand on anything, just yell...)

Thanks for your positive feedback, but its more like a journey into insanity!

wacko.gif
mepstein
All you guys with perfectly restored cars are going to have to find a driver so you can go out and have fun.

And I’m not knocking what you are doing in the least. It’s a beautiful car.
horizontally-opposed
This is really going to be one of the prettiest, most desirable -4s out there. Wow. wub.gif

And there are a lot of great 4s out there. Marathon with those wheels really pops.

Some of the restoration/resurrection projects of late are just very cool to see.
raynekat
Yeah.. .great job on those rear housings. Your entire resto of your rear lights look awesome.
914_7T3
Original Style Speed Nuts, I must be Nuts!

screwy.gif

Can't deal with the gooey half metal hex style speed nuts so picked up these for my rear badges & grill lettering. This project is officially on hold until after the WCR.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
Nice work! Too bad Okteenerfest is so far for you , would love to see this in person
ndfrigi
Hey Jeffrey, is ur car goin to finish before WCR?
914_7T3
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 17 2019, 10:02 AM) *

Negative................. beer3.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 17 2019, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 17 2019, 10:02 AM) *

Negative................. beer3.gif

Oh no! ur 914 should be on that event!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 17 2019, 12:45 PM) *

Original Style Speed Nuts, I must be Nuts!

screwy.gif

Can't deal with the gooey half metal hex style speed nuts so picked up these for my rear badges & grill lettering. This project is officially on hold until after the WCR.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

For some reason I don't recognize these parts. You mention use on badges and grill lettering. I that the only place?

Dang - now I'm going to have to go look at my old engine grill off the original 73 I had (one of the surviving souvenirs from that car) that hangs on my rafters as decoration.

Just as a reminder - you don't need an interior to drive that puppy to WCR assuming you have the important mechanical bits sorted. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
Where did you buy the speed nuts?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 18 2019, 11:34 AM) *

Where did you buy the speed nuts?

Looks like AASE sales according to the bag. AASE always seems to be a decent source for obscure bits and correct NOS stuff like this.

I did check my original engine grille. Sure enough these are the proper NOS style fasteners. Would have expected nothing less!

Funny to me the stuff that I've forgotten since I did my last 914. When I was done with that vehicle I pretty much had touched every nut, bolt and fastener. I find I'm now having to relearn stuff I once knew. I guess I'm getting old!
bbrock
They're still available through Porsche.
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 18 2019, 11:42 AM) *

They're still available through Porsche.

These are Genuine Porsche, however they are made of plastic and not rubber as the originals were. Regardless, the hex style ones are a nightmare.

@SocalAndy informed me that if you don't scrape off the rubbery material beyond just outside of the area that holds the pin that it heats up and oozes out all over the engine grill. There's no way I'm going to deal with that!

beer3.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 11 2018, 02:12 PM) *

Sunset Porsche comes through again. Truth be known that these Genuine Porsche Caps are closer to the @mikey914 version than the original 45 year old ones.

Therefore, I'll still be looking looking for a set of NOS caps.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Center Cap Update. Wasn't loving the finish on the New New Stock Porsche Caps, so they are going back. Another shout out to Sunset Porsche for taking them or a full refund 7 months later.

Solution was to refurb the 46 year old originals. They came out really nice considering. Only one of them has the lip that is not pronounced as the others 3, but its not as bad as the photo.

Before & After

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bbrock
Those look fantastic! piratenanner.gif Can you share the process for refurbishing? I have a bag full of those I was going to try to rehab.
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 28 2019, 05:17 PM) *

Those look fantastic! piratenanner.gif Can you share the process for refurbishing? I have a bag full of those I was going to try to rehab.

@bbrock The old fashioned way, very labor intensive. Hand straightened and triple polished!
bbrock
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 28 2019, 09:15 PM) *

@bbrock The old fashioned way, very labor intensive. Hand straightened and triple polished!

What I'm wondering is if you used a hammer and dolly or some other method? I was thinking about having a billet turned to serve as a form to straighten them back out, but whatever you did worked so I would like to steal your secret! smile.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 29 2019, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 28 2019, 09:15 PM) *

What I'm wondering is if you used a hammer and dolly or some other method? I was thinking about having a billet turned to serve as a form to straighten them back out, but whatever you did worked so I would like to steal your secret! smile.gif

I sent them out to be done! However, there was a die that was sold on the 914 World classifieds last year. If you can find who purchased it, that would make it easier for sure.

914_7T3
Duplicate Post from the below thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...339088&st=0

Just want to update the timeline of my build.

Another Great Day in the SoCal 914 Community @ValcoOscar 's
Thanks for opeining your home garage to everyone:

@Larmo63
@914Sixxation
@Ed_Turbo
@LS1V8Jerry

Special thanks to @SocalAndy for spear heading the non-spark issue on the '73 resto-project

Many thanks to
@914Toy
@ndfrigi
for guest wrenching and

@Darren C for the special guest appearance in getting her fired up to end the day!

So what if we burnt up a couple of PerTronix Electronic Injections and went back to points! Swapped the ignition harness back to OEM, coil, starter and cleaned up some grounds.

So awesome to have the engine finally running in the car! Another milestone acheived for sure!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Are these washers upside down. I can never remember.
914_7T3
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 15 2019, 07:07 PM) *

Are these washers upside down. I can never remember.

Based on the black ring around it, I would say so. We are going to get it up on the lift this weekend and ask @SocalAndy to walk around and advise. There are some minor things to this build that need to be revisited including which way the bolts orient from the heat exchangers to the muffler among others. The hot start relay was thankfully removed as well this weekend.

It's a process.......
mepstein

I think it goes the opposite of the way it looks like it should go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.