Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resto-Thread: '73 Marathon Blue 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
914_7T3
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 15 2019, 08:32 PM) *

I think it goes the opposite of the way it looks like it should go.

Now I see it!
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 15 2019, 09:32 PM) *

agree.gif There are a couple of pics that you have to look carefully, but can see them oriented with the cup down.

Congrats on getting her running! Major milestone piratenanner.gif

Did you remove the hot start relay for originality, or was there some other reason?
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 15 2019, 09:27 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 15 2019, 09:32 PM) *

agree.gif There are a couple of pics that you have to look carefully, but can see them oriented with the cup down.

Congrats on getting her running! Major milestone piratenanner.gif

Did you remove the hot start relay for originality, or was there some other reason?

My understanding is that it accomplishes nothing unless you are cheating a voltage problem elsewhere, so why not just fix the problem? As for originality, did you even have to ask? laugh.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jul 15 2019, 11:41 PM) *

As for originality, did you even have to ask? laugh.gif

That part was a given lol-2.gif I'm going to add a relay to mine. I've always thought running all those amps all the way up the wire harness and through the trouble-prone ignition switch was bad engineering. Plus, I think the relay will be a nice compliment for my carbs rolleyes.gif
Cairo94507
Your car looks fantastic. You have the right people working on it too. I would love to make it to one of Oscar's gatherings one of these times. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 16 2019, 07:07 AM) *

That part was a given lol-2.gif I'm going to add a relay to mine. I've always thought running all those amps all the way up the wire harness and through the trouble-prone ignition switch was bad engineering. Plus, I think the relay will be a nice compliment for my carbs rolleyes.gif

You are correct. 50 years and several improvements to the 914. Most are widely excepted. But not this one. Stigmas can linger. Bosche seemed to think it was a good improvement as they make a kit to do this. If this kind of thinking ever infects the Plumbing Industry we'll be working with cast iron drains and galvanized water lines again. shades.gif Your car looks great. Don't park in any commercial parking areas unless you have some touch up paint! lol-2.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 16 2019, 09:00 AM) *

You are correct. 50 years and several improvements to the 914. Most are widely excepted. But not this one. Stigmas can linger. Bosche seemed to think it was a good improvement as they make a kit to do this. If this kind of thinking ever infects the Plumbing Industry we'll be working with cast iron drains and galvanized water lines again. shades.gif Your car looks great. Don't park in any commercial parking areas unless you have some touch up paint! lol-2.gif

Commercial Parking Areas??? blink.gif

Other than my garage, local canyon roads, Cars & Coffee and local Porsche Events this car isn't going anywhere! beer3.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 16 2019, 07:37 AM) *

Your car looks fantastic. You have the right people working on it too. I would love to make it to one of Oscar's gatherings one of these times. beerchug.gif

Thanks Michael! Hopefully, we can drive some break-in miles together before yours goes back up to NorCal!
914_7T3

@bbrock Let me know if you want mine, its in "like new condition". Trade you for some K Stamped Suspension bits and a 621 Stamped piece of engine tin!

av-943.gif
Cairo94507
Now that would be a blast. beerchug.gif
914_7T3
Spent last Saturday with @Ed_Turbo & @ValcoOscar working on the car and making slow but steady progress. Got some small stuff out of the way before getting back to some of the more pressing items this coming weekend.

The new ignition switch is in and now re-keying the replacement cylinder that I picked up from @pete000

Tail lights in and wired up and trunk lock installed

Click to view attachment

Wiper nozzles, mirrors and sail panel trim hardware as well. It's amazing how time consuming these seemingly easy tasks are. We fought excess paint build up on the cowl for the washer jets and retapped the mirror screw holes. Sail trim hardware required a new hole to be drilled on the passenger side as it was not there nor was there evidence of any filler.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Next up was the fuse panel restoration and cleaning up the harness in the tunnel. Pretty pleased with how it turned out thanks to the spare panel from @mepstein that was used as a place holder for all of the connections.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Ready to get back at it this weekend along with helping out on @cuddy_k 's brake project.

Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
Fantastic.
914_7T3
3rd consecutive weekend @ValcoOscar 's 914 Resort & Spa!

@Chi-town stopped by with some plated hardware and was kind enough to spend some time getting me sorted on replacing the burnt headlight motor wire. Luckily, the damage was contained to the front of the harness. The second strand from the driver's side motor back to the remainder of the harness turned out to be unaffected as verified back to the bulkhead of the frunk.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

@bdstone914 showed me how to bleed the brakes with @cuddy_k 's power bleeder and @ed_turbo was solid on the pedal.

Click to view attachment

The car is now back home for final assembly. So happy to be done with towing it around SoCal. It was incredible to drive it into the garage under its own power.

Hoping for a miracle and a 9-14 completion date. Don't want to miss out on the PCA LA Concours and PECLA activiites!

Click to view attachment

sb914
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jul 30 2019, 01:45 PM) *

3rd consecutive weekend @ValcoOscar 's 914 Resort & Spa!

@Chi-town stopped by with some plated hardware and was kind enough to spend some time getting me sorted on replacing the burnt headlight motor wire. Luckily, the damage was contained to the front of the harness. The second strand from the driver's side motor back to the remainder of the harness turned out to be unaffected as verified back to the bulkhead of the frunk.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

@bdstone914 showed me how to bleed the brakes with @cuddy_k 's power bleeder and @ed_turbo was solid on the pedal.

Click to view attachment
Congrats! Won’t be long now .

The car is now back home for final assembly. So happy to be done with towing it around SoCal. It was incredible to drive it into the garage under its own power.

Hoping for a miracle and a 9-14 completion date. Don't want to miss out on the PCA LA Concours and PECLA activiites!

Click to view attachment

raynekat
Great job on that wiring fix.
pete000
I'm smelling concours winner...
Gudhjem
What an amazing build. Truly inspiring. I feel a new surge of motivation to get back to my going-on-9-years '73 2.0 marathon blue restoration.

Superhawk996
Car is coming along so nicely. Great job. drooley.gif
914_7T3
@bbrock

Have you considered plating the guides for the bumper bolts inside the dog bones? I think @Chi-town mentioned it and I'm now obsessed. Time to up my game!!!

beer3.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 7 2019, 05:18 PM) *

@bbrock

Have you considered plating the guides for the bumper bolts inside the dog bones? I think @Chi-town mentioned it and I'm now obsessed. Time to up my game!!!

beer3.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Well now I have. I should probably fish them out to see what condition they are in and throw them in the tub of parts yet to be plated. Good tip! beerchug.gif
Larmo63
I got kicked off the build crew for some reason.

I tried, but a few too many hands in the kitchen......
914_7T3
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 7 2019, 09:05 PM) *

I got kicked off the build crew for some reason.

I tried, but a few too many hands in the kitchen......

Fake News!!!

@Larmo63 has always been a great supporter of my project. The day he disrespected my Vitaloni Tornado Mirrors a strong and lasting friendship was born.

beerchug.gif Cheers!!!
Larmo63
I'm the guy that runs out with the floor jack when Jeffrey pulls into the pits.
914_7T3
Spent last weekend going through the car and dealing with any plating and powdercoating that was overlooked and there was way more that anticipated. Picked up some duplicate place holders while the Kamax and other good stuff was sent out for plating. ( @Larmo63 )

Spent the day in the garage installing some 914 Rubber parts including fender to windshield seal, front & rear bulk head and rear trunk seals.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Had an opportunity to reclaim my VIN # from the overspray of previous paint jobs.

Click to view attachment

Turns out the the bumpers were flash chromed and not triple plated, not to mention the poor prep so they are in the process of being redone. This allows for proper clean up of the harness up front where the fog lights and horns terminate. Happy to have the opportunity to re-address this area.

Click to view attachment

Cleaned the headlight motors too and finally finished taping up the right ride of the harness from the frunk up to the headlights. Hopefully done with the wiring from here on in.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Will get at it again tomorrow!
914_7T3
Got the replacement ignition lock that was rekeyed installed with the new switch. Should come as no surprise that those wires needed to be cleaned and retaped as well as the ones for the wiper and turn signal switches.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Also dealt with the wiring out of the tunnel for the dome light and defroster (in case of snow in the forecast this winter) laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Speaking of wiper and turn signal switches, I managed to end up with a spring, connector and plastic piece breaking off after cleaning those up. So decided to replace them with a set of NOS SWF switches. rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

second wind
Hello Jeffrey.....coming along nicely. I have learned from experience that I let my new 914 Rubber parts sit out in the sun for a week or two before installing as they shrink. I have gone through window trim and fender rubber as you mention and it comes up short in a month or two on the car. I keep them in the sun for quite a while and then cut to fit.....works out great. FYI.
All the best,
gg
second wind
I mean ANY rubber parts.....not 914 Rubber parts. 914 Rubber parts have resurrected my 914 and thank you for that.
All the best,
gg
914_7T3
@SoCalAndy spent some time on Saturday getting me sorted and prioritized for future tasks. Best part is he was kind enough to remind me that I have AC in my garage that hasn't been used in over 10 years, but that fired right up and kept us comfortable throughout the day.

Click to view attachment

Started with getting the Wiper and Turn Signal switches installed and then built up the headlight buckets and installed the motors. @Chi-town 's wiring repair did the trick and the motors spun up right away after 22 months off of the car.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Verified all the lights front and rear and after a quick bulb replacement and reseating some others in the tail lights, we were all lit. Best part is that I didn't screw up the gauges and everything is working save fo the parking brake light, but that's for another day.

On Sunday, I went deep on the horn restoration and started to reinstall the plating that was picked up on Friday.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

@bbrock Project Dog Bone has been completed!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

@Superhawk996 Stripped Viser Cores with Corinthian leather are schedule to arrive @Mikey914 's place on Monday.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Still lots to do.
Mikey914
QUOTE(second wind @ Aug 20 2019, 09:50 PM) *

Hello Jeffrey.....coming along nicely. I have learned from experience that I let my new 914 Rubber parts sit out in the sun for a week or two before installing as they shrink. I have gone through window trim and fender rubber as you mention and it comes up short in a month or two on the car. I keep them in the sun for quite a while and then cut to fit.....works out great. FYI.
All the best,
gg

What you may have experienced is pulling the targa to window seals through the track on the roof.

Do not install this way as you can never relieve the tension completely. Install by putting trim in place from the side and pushing the inner side down.
AHudson
This is one fantastic rebuild thread. Thanks for sharing! It's not just work to do the 'work' but to photo-document and comment is like another job. Really excellent to watch and read.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 26 2019, 12:15 AM) *

@Superhawk996 Stripped Viser Cores with Corinthian leather are schedule to arrive @Mikey914 's place on Monday.

Still lots to do.

lol-2.gif Love it. The shine on the headlamp surround is blinding me. I don't think I've seen one that polished before!

Great job. So nice to see this car being put back together with such care.

Just packed up my box of Corinthian Leather yesterday for 914Rubber - sending out early this week. I picked up a nice remnant of black leather from a shop that does lots of custom interior work for various show cars (think Autorama, NAIS, Concours d' Elegance). At first he didn't want to sell it until I assured him that I'd have him doing some of the work like the dash top and the seats downstream. I love these crusty custom car shop guys, they are all such characters (and I mean that in a good way).

Can't wait to see the end result of all these visor rebuilds. Lord knows we need them - they are all crispy by now.

76-914
Delete. Opps, wrong thread.
bbrock
Good call on plating those dog bone inserts. I'll add that to my to-do list. But.. Shazam!!! Look at that horn! drooley.gif Nice work. That headlight bezel isn't too shabby either if you are into the whole impeccable perfection thing. Spirit lines dude. You need spirit lines. bye1.gif
914_7T3
Progress Report:

Spent some time weekend before last with @rod928 installing the front gutters, moldings and both top and bottom targa moldings.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

@SoCalAndy spent some time up here today trouble shooting electrical and it was pretty lit!!!

Click to view attachment

I also figured out that you can't get your wiper motor to work if you previously pulled the relays from the board without reinstalling them. laugh.gif

Next up was Andy's expertise in action for the sail panel vinyl installation. I then moved onto the rear gutters and moldings.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Of course no post is complete without some NOS parts including this timing plaque. Looks like a decal, but is made of aluminum.

Click to view attachment

Also here are the proofs of my decal dilemma project currently in production. Other than the extra "t" in metallic they are super great! first.gif

Click to view attachment

bbrock
Okay, where does that timing plaque go and where do I get one? smile.gif

Beautiful work as usual. drooley.gif I sure would like to see an example of the 73 49-state emission decal.
FlacaProductions
Looks great - just like every other step of the way here.

What was your approach and result on the main targa seal?
DRPHIL914
For the vinyl install did you use the 3M 99 spray?

Phil

-looks awesome!
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 21 2019, 07:35 PM) *

Okay, where does that timing plaque go and where do I get one? smile.gif

Beautiful work as usual. drooley.gif I sure would like to see an example of the 73 49-state emission decal.

@bbrock

https://www.aasesales.com/collections/porsc...b-id-num-101131

I would call the dep't. at Porsche that does the COAs to see if such a decal exists. I know most if not all modern day cars reference 49 states and California.

My '96 Prelude was a CDN car with a metric Speedo in kp/h and kilometers on the odometer and still had the california emission decal that allowed me to import it.

914_7T3
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 22 2019, 05:33 AM) *

Phil

-looks awesome!

@DRPHIL914

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 21 2019, 09:24 PM) *

Looks great - just like every other step of the way here.

What was your approach and result on the main targa seal?

@FlacaProductions

Top seal first, both sides install into the vertical channels and should slide in with a little convincing. You can use a little Windex for some lubrication that will dry up pretty quick.
Many on the forums use silicone or soapy water and neither is necessary and may cause other issues. Horizontal section is next and you need to not bend the metal tabs under the rubber that affix to the frame. Will take some effort by hand or gentle finessing with a mallett smash.gif

Lower Targa seal is next and should be cut on an angle only after installed. Start at the center and work your way out. A little frustrating of a process, but not fatal!
raynekat
I used the same 3M high strength contact spray adhesive on just about everything.
It really holds where the "normal" spray adhesives didn't do too well.

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Sep 22 2019, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 22 2019, 05:33 AM) *

Phil

-looks awesome!

@DRPHIL914

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Worked with @ValcoOscar a few weeks ago on the passenger window as it wouldn't lift properly and would tilt towards the front. Gave up on all the adjustments after figuring out that the glass was 1" too forward in the lifter. Pulled the regulator, window and lifter to correct it. Didn't want to mess with urethane so ended up having a local shop reseat it.

Click to view attachment

This also allowed the opportunity to Evapo-rust the lifter and hardware. Also installed a new triangle window seal. Glad to have the opportunity to clean that up and just need to polish the window frame.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Next up was to redo the basket weave on the dash face and glove box.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Sanded and resprayed the seat handles for the 3rd time. Finally got the desired result and just need to hit them with clear.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

More to come....................................
914_7T3
@Mike D @Robarabian & @ValcoOscar were kind enough to come over weekend before last to help get the passenger window sorted and installed. We fought with it for longer than I care to admit. Finally raises and lowers smoothly & properly.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Still dealing with a funky gap where the triangle window meets the frame at the top. Got the door fuzzies in and sprayed my seat handles with a couple of coats of clear and called it a day, but not before some bad guys ripped off my headlights. Picked it up on my security cams and it took all of 37 seconds from start to finish. Now dealing with a big fat insurance claim.

Click to view attachment

Spent some time in the garage on Sunday with my helper Calvin. He is patiently waiting his first drive in the teener...poor fella!

Click to view attachment

Started in the frunk adding white felt to the underside of the fuel tank strap that @Larmo63 gave me.

Click to view attachment

Installed the expansion tank that I got from @914Sixer that was expertly painted by @ValcoOscar as my other one literally "expanded" from the powder coating process.

Click to view attachment

Recently been on the wrong side of air hose shaming by @bbrock & @SocalAndy so had to pull the 914 Rubber hoses and replace them with the the period correct paper variety.

Click to view attachment

@bdstone914 stopped by to check my progress and deliver a NOS lower rear trunk latch. Already had a nice replated one, but NOS is NOS. wub.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bbrock
Man that looks good. Your build was looking a little sketchy but those paper hoses saved the day. lol-2.gif

Great helper you've got there! Too bad about the frickin' thieves. mad.gif

Oh, the expansion tank decal arrived yesterday. Looks great!!! Thanks! and also thanks to @Superhawk966 smilie_pokal.gif
horizontally-opposed
Car is looking great!! smilie_pokal.gif

As to those headlight thieves...we did a story on 996 headlight theft in Excellence back in the day, but I hadn't heard of it for a while. Looks like it may be pot growers. dry.gif

https://www.businessinsider.com/marijuana-g...adlamps-2012-11

And a possible fix:

http://www.insanegarage.com/prevent-paname...s-theft-stolen/
914_7T3
More progress on getting the engine lid finished up. Working with the plastic speed nuts was no fun at all, but everything came together.

Click to view attachment

Got the driver side triangle window seal and fuzzy installed and just needs to go back in the door.

Click to view attachment

Dash face with new basket weave is in as well

Click to view attachment

Also had some time to replace the rear reflectors on the Sun Buggy with some NOS Hella which are getting difficult to find.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

DRPHIL914
that window triangle seal was the worst thing I had to do on all my reassembly!! looks good though.

where did you get the NOS paper air hose for inside cabin and the front trunk area? mind are original and would like to replace with correct stuff not plastic repro.

Phil
914_7T3
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 16 2019, 05:34 AM) *

that window triangle seal was the worst thing I had to do on all my reassembly!! looks good though.

where did you get the NOS paper air hose for inside cabin and the front trunk area? mind are original and would like to replace with correct stuff not plastic repro.

Phil

@DRPHIL914

It is 60mm aftermarket and availlable pretty much everywhere, although I got it from another World member.
914_7T3
Didn't realize it has been this long since this thread was updated and will add some more photos in the coming days.

Spent most of the last 1/2 dozen Saturdays working on the car. In trying to get the dash buttoned up, some electrical gremlins have appeared and have been working to get that sorted. Nothing major, but tedious nonetheless. Partial list: ebrake ground to the body, 4 Way flashers, high beam and parking light indicator lights........

Revisted E -brake install

Changed the fresh air controller and reinstalled the dash face with new basketweave.

Click to view attachment

New Battery and New Negative Battery Cable installed.

Head light and fog light installation completed.

Click to view attachment

Rear Bumper with NOS top and plate holder installed.

Click to view attachment

Front Bumper Assembled awaiting fresh paint to the Valance to correct previous damage.

Click to view attachment

Received a new loop carpet kit from Autobahn interiors.

Click to view attachment

Even went so far as to source the correct Kamax bolts for front & rear trunk lids that are in for plating.

Doesn't seem like much, but everything that was touched needed more work and is now correct.

Probably have about two days work to button up some smaller projects like sail panel trim, targa latches etc... before sending the car to the interior shop to install the Z Mat, back bad, door cards, seats, etc that have all been previously recovered.

Hope to be on the road by end of March to shake this thing down. Seems strange to be this close and so mentally fatigued by the project at the same time. Looking forward to completion. driving.gif

Dion
Keep at it. Looks beautiful. Of course I’m partial to this build biggrin.gif what a colour!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.