Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resto-Thread: '73 Marathon Blue 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
FlacaProductions
Hey Jeffrey - did you change the fresh air controller since the day I was there?

I was pretty sure you'd go back and re-do the dash face basketweave but wasn't going to say it out loud....

It looks really great. Still.
I'm out of town now - actually getting to tinker with MY 914 in Indiana - and when I get back, I'm tied up thru March 9 - wish I could help again!
arne
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 16 2020, 07:04 PM) *
Hope to be on the road by end of March to shake this thing down. Seems strange to be this close and so mentally fatigued by the project at the same time. Looking forward to completion. driving.gif
I understand, Jeffery. The final details can be very tiring. One of the reasons I generally shoot for "nice driver" level on my projects. Pretty sure you are finally going to beat me this time, though.
914_7T3
Speaking of details, when @FlacaProductions was out here back in December we figured out that the fender opening for the antenna was too small to fit a NOS Hirschmann that was acquired.

End result was that the old and tired looking original Bosch Blue Tip was reinstalled. Came across a NOS Blue Tip on Evil Bay out of Sweden at a great price and could not resist. It is these details that are really upping the level of this project.

Can't wait to get all the remaining pieces/parts back on the car.

Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
Hubba hubba. That’s perfect!!! Your patience and internet sleuthing is amazing.
bbrock
Nice find! Completely empathize about installing the old and tire antenna. Went through something similar myself.
914_7T3
Two sets of incorrect wiper blades & clips later, finally received the correct clips so that the Bosch blades now fit the NOS arms and got those on the car.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Also have the engine lid on the car after wet sanding the original rain tray down to 7,000 grit and its silky smooth. Used some new hardware and better release cable than what was on the car, but need to reposition the grill badge as its sitting too high. Is there a correct placement for grill badges?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Next problem is that after going through the trouble of getting the Optima R battery with terminals closer to the lid opening, the rain tray doesn't clear the battery connections. So now it has to be turned to sit like the non-R battery. Grrrrrrrrr headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

Moral of the story is everything was a certain way for a reason in these cars. So when you think you are improving something, you're just scewing up something else, but don't know it yet!

Ended up removing the 914 Rubber door stay kit and going back to an original replated set supplied by @bdstone914

Driver door is still crunchy as the hole on the body where the pin sits has worn larger so will need a solution for that, but that's for another day.

Targa latches are on with the roof in place to properly seat the front targa trim.

Click to view attachment

A couple of more tweaks then off to the interior shop, final mechanical tweaks and to sort an exhaust leak. Then its shakedown time. driving.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Mar 8 2020, 10:08 PM) *

Next problem is that after going through the trouble of getting the Optima R battery with terminals closer to the lid opening, the rain tray doesn't clear the battery connections. So now it has to be turned to sit like the non-R battery. Grrrrrrrrr headbang.gif

I flipped my battery around too. I don't think it's a big deal but I need to get a longer ground cable so I can route both cables out the same side of the battery to install the battery cover.

Good job finding those wiper adapters! beerchug.gif
914_7T3
Had a weather window to wash the car for the first time since it came out of the body shop in June of 2018 and she looks pretty good in the daylight drooley.gif

Even without an interior, drove it a couple of blocks and that was pretty cool. Problem is that my flasher relay went on the fritz on start up. No parking brake indicator, no turn signals and no 4 ways. What a PITA! Need to drop the fuse box and get in there before the car goes off to have the interior installed on Thursday. Also going to need to leave the door cards off as the window fitment is still pretty FUBAR.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
FANTASTIC!!!
Call me this week if we can stay 6-feet apart and still get something done....
bbrock
WOW! drooley.gif That car is absolutely amazing!

BTW, did you see on another thread that someone mentioned a bad flasher relay can cause the turn signal indicators to both flash at the same time? I meant to bring that to your attention but got sidetracked.
euro911
Your car is looking fabulous, Jeffery drooley.gif
raynekat
Yes, adjusting those windows/doors so that everything closes nicely is a pain.
It took me a long time to get something I could live with.
You just have to thinking about it and which way everything needs to move.

I also had a lot of issues with the 914Rubber door stays.
They were making all kinds of noise and snapping.
Finally tracked down a set of these Porsche door stay pins and drove them home.
All is quiet on the western front....as least for now.
Just google Porsche door stay and you'll see that different folks carry these.

Click to view attachment
arne
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 22 2020, 07:54 PM) *

The Porsche pins are quieter when new, but after a few years the popping will return. That's been my experience, anyway.
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Mar 22 2020, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 22 2020, 07:54 PM) *

The Porsche pins are quieter when new, but after a few years the popping will return. That's been my experience, anyway.

@raynekat & @arne

Thanks guys, so after a quick web search, the new style pins pictured are Porsche part #911.531.275.01 that supercedes the original door check pin with cotter at the bottom part #911.531.275.00

I have an order in already with my local dealer so will add a set of these as well, but what happens after the hole widens and they snap, crackle pop again? confused24.gif
914_7T3
Received a replacement relay this week to trouble shoot the intermittent one. Also got the new door pins for replacement. Didn't get to either project over the weekend though.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Got the replacement antenna installed and had to use all hardware from the old one to get enough thread for the mounting nut to grab onto. Took way longer than it should.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Moved onto the seat belts and went with the best example of each from my stash. Got some tech tips and support from 914World seat belt expert @flacaproductions to get them installed. Once in, got them cleaned up and lubed the center mechanism with silicone spray. They will still need the tension adjusted and @flacaproductions has offered to do that so they are on their way to him beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Next up was the clean up of the receivers and they came out looking really good.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hopefully more can get done in the coming days.
DRPHIL914
looks great!! - you have a sickness sir!!! (not viral but i think contagious!)
ask me how i know, takes one to know one. it seems i keep looking for things to fix replace or refurbish blink.gif but seriously that car is awesome and what i appreciate most is that you’ve done most of it yourself. nothing wrong with getting help or paying for stuff to be done but it’s cool to see people do this stuff themselves and really cool share it and help show other’s how to do it as well. thanks for the awesome documentation. my next project will be the seat belt receivers !
914_7T3
@DRPHIL914

Appreciate the kind words, but truth be told I have not done nearly enough of the work myself. Turns out my sweet spot has been sourcing parts and light refurb, cleaning, & painting of small projects and working along side those more knowledgeable.

Outside of choosing a great mechanic, trans rebuilder & body shop, I have relied heavily on the community for their help and have learned a ton in the process. Prior to this project, I have never wrenched and that is what has made it so difficult and exetnded the timelines.

Without the support of the 914World community, the level of this build would not be possible. grouphug.gif
bbrock
And you have sourced a few crucial parts and provided plenty of wisdom for my build and others too. It's all reciprocal. beerchug.gif
raynekat
Looking good on your seat belt resto/install.
914_7T3
Had a nice chat with @bbrock on Saturday who was kind enough to point out that I should verify the window stop adjustment on the regulator to get the window to raise the extra 1/4" that was needed. TBH, didn't even know what that bolt to nowhere was for...

Thanks Brent laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Got the seat belts back from @flacaproductions and was super appreciative of his offer to adjust the tension and happy to report they are really good. I am going to send him one of my old ones to crack open and experiment with the spring mechanism.

Reinstalled the belts and driver seat and went for a drive yesterday for a couple of miles. driving.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Was super cool, but once up to operating temperature ended up heading back because I was unsure as the whether or not the burn off from the rebuild was normal. Apparently it is, so all good.

Click to view attachment

Going to get it over to @jbcottrell at TRE Motorsports by the end of the week to give it a once over. Still needs the timing adjusted from when the distributor was off trouble shooting the non-spark issue back in August.

Although she shifts really smooth, the bushings need attention as I really need to go hunting to find first gear some of the time. Finally able to trust the transmission and downshifting into second without a grind is Aaaaaaamazing!

Once that's done, I'll address the exhaust leak before getting back to the interior.
bbrock
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 6 2020, 06:39 PM) *

Had a nice chat with @bbrock on Saturday who kind enough to point out that I should verify the window stop adjustment on the regulator to get my window to raise the extra 1/4" that I needed. TBH, didn't even know what that bolt to nowhere was for...

Thanks Brent laugh.gif

You mean I was helpful? What are the odds? confused24.gif

Looking great. Love that you went for a drive!!!! MDB2.gif
FlacaProductions
Yay! Another step ahead (or two)!
I'll be happy to snag one of the "extra" belts when this Corona things simmers down - I've read enough to be really dangerous now.

What a great project and a great car!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 6 2020, 06:39 PM) *

Had a nice chat with @bbrock on Saturday who kind enough to point out that I should verify the window stop adjustment on the regulator to get my window to raise the extra 1/4" that I needed. TBH, didn't even know what that bolt to nowhere was for...

Thanks Brent laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Got the seat belts back from @flacaproductions and was super appreciative of his offer to adjust the tension and happy to report they are really good. I am going to send him one of my old ones to crack open and experiment with the spring mechanism.

Reinstalled the belts and driver seat and went for a drive yesterday for a couple of miles. driving.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Was super cool, but once up to operating temperature ended up heading back because I was unsure as the whether or not the burn off from the rebuild was normal. Apparently it is, so all good.

Click to view attachment

Going to get it over to @jbcottrell at TRE Motorsports by the end of the week to give it a once over. Still needs the timing adjusted from when the distributor was off trouble shooting the non-spark issue back in August.

Although she shifts really smooth, the bushings need attention as I really need to go hunting to find first gear some of the time. Finally able to trust the transmission and downshifting into second without a grind is Aaaaaaamazing!

Once that's done, I'll address the exhaust leak before getting back to the interior.

Yahooo! finally it is driven! Congratulations Jeffrey!
914_7T3
Today's delivery!

Scored one on Evil Bay crack free biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Double Post
914_7T3
Drove the car 7 miles to my Porsche shop, no easy feat with the timing needing adjustment. Once I got her going again after every traffic light everything was uneventful from there.

First issue discovered, transmission leak from a loose drain plug. Let's see what else isn't doing what it should.

At least I'll get those transmission mounts turned right side up among other things.

laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
burton73
Jeffrey,

Really nice. Almost there and all the great work really shows. This is the car I personally want for my 914 in Blue.

Best Bob B

first.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 13 2020, 05:49 PM) *

Jeffrey,

Really nice. Almost there and all the great work really shows. This is the car I personally want for my 914 in Blue.

Best Bob B

first.gif

@burton73

Bob, thanks for the kind words. This is not the car you want.....IIRC, you want an Olympic Blue with a V8 powerplant to go with the Yellow 6 and the one with the motor up front.

laugh.gif
914_7T3
Three weeks later, the car is still in the air as the exhaust leak was identified as a loose heat exchanger at the exhaust manifold. Upon tightening, with minimal torque, the stud snapped. A bolt was welded to the remaining thread to successfully remove it.

Click to view attachment

After looking at all of the available options, decided to go with a set of NOS & NLA German exhuast studs (8mm x 56mm). Found them on the Samba from a vendor out of the Yukon as in the North West Territories. Canada Post is slow on shipments to the USA and the seller is approx. 50 miles from the nearest post office...............hoping to get them any day now.

Click to view attachment

Check out Magnus' '67 Urban Outlaw in the next bay that was getting a new rebuild installed. Bet he's never seen a bone stock 914 before laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

FlacaProductions
oh, dude. SO close!! Nice that it'll be done right....like everything else on that car.
914_7T3
Bought these....

Click to view attachment

They shipped these,

Click to view attachment

headbang.gif
FlacaProductions
Missed it by thaaaaat much.....rats.
iankarr
They use a different measuring system up there in Canada wink.gif

Sorry dude. Will check my bin for some....
Larmo63
I wouldn't use those.

stirthepot.gif Your heat exchangers will drag on the ground.

914_7T3
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 11 2020, 03:22 PM) *

I wouldn't use those.

stirthepot.gif Your heat exchangers will drag on the ground.

It's OK Larmo, some guy named Daniel in Sarasota, FL should get my studs any day now!

laugh.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ May 11 2020, 03:19 PM) *

They use a different measuring system up there in Canada wink.gif

Sorry dude. Will check my bin for some....

Sure make fun of the CDNs as I am one of them too!

slap.gif

Regardless, its metric up there so why the misunderstanding?
914_7T3
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ May 11 2020, 03:18 PM) *

Missed it by thaaaaat much.....rats.

Click to view attachment
arne
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 11 2020, 04:17 PM) *

slap.gif

Their 'process' (long O) may not be 'about' (pronounced 'a-boot') accuracy...

dry.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ May 11 2020, 05:14 PM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 11 2020, 04:17 PM) *

slap.gif

Their 'process' (long O) may not be 'about' (pronounced 'a-boot') accuracy...

dry.gif

Now you too?

head_hurts_kr.gif
arne
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 11 2020, 06:25 PM) *
Now you too?

head_hurts_kr.gif

You know I'm on your side, Jeffrey. beerchug.gif
euro911
Lookin' good, Jeffery first.gif
arne
Hope to be on the road by end of March to shake this thing down. Seems strange to be this close and so mentally fatigued by the project at the same time. Looking forward to completion. driving.gif
QUOTE(arne @ Feb 17 2020, 05:34 PM) *

I understand, Jeffery. The final details can be very tiring. One of the reasons I generally shoot for "nice driver" level on my projects. Pretty sure you are finally going to beat me this time, though.

Oops! Looks like I beat you again! Going for a drive this afternoon. Sorry! beer3.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ May 15 2020, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(arne @ Feb 17 2020, 05:34 PM) *

Oops! Looks like I beat you again! Going for a drive this afternoon. Sorry! beer3.gif

I admit defeat x2! Enjoy your drive smile.gif

driving.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 11 2020, 02:11 PM) *

Bought these....

Click to view attachment

They shipped these,

Click to view attachment

headbang.gif

5 days later, no sign of the NOS studs that supposedly got shipped to Sarasota, FL and are now AWOL.

However, a big thank you to @bdstone914 for the referral to George at European Motorworks in Hawthorne. Those guys saved the day as they just got in a shipment so I ran down there to pick up a set.

Click to view attachment

Now have to wait my turn to get back up on the rack and outta there!

Click to view attachment

914s everywhere........

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
arne
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 15 2020, 01:17 PM) *

driving.gif

Well that's actually x3 (yellow 914, blue FJ40, silver 911T). But who's counting? happy11.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ May 15 2020, 05:14 PM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 15 2020, 01:17 PM) *

driving.gif

Well that's actually x3 (yellow 914, blue FJ40, silver 911T). But who's counting? happy11.gif

stromberg.gif I forgot about the FJ...............
914_7T3
Finally sprung the car on Monday from TRE Motorsports and wanted to give a shoutout to @JBCottrell for getting me sorted.

Click to view attachment

There were a lot of items overlooked or still requiring attention after the drive train went back in. Once the car was in the air, all remaining issues mechanical or otherwise were addressed.

This was the punch list:

Adjust points, dwell & timing
Install rev limiter on distributor
Verify vacuum hose install
Reinstall transmission mounts in correct position
Exhaust leak- replace all 8 Exhaust Studs & take HE for flange welding
Rocker panels secured with correct plated hardware & spacers
Swap steering pan, master cylinder & proportioning valve hardware with plated ones
Clean up previously spliced battery wires & install to new connector
Install correct grommets in rear engine tin
Replace thermostat with NOS unit & cable
Swap incorrect driver side flapper box

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Took the long way home on a 20 mile run down the 405 Fwy and back across Mulholland down to the Valley. The car drives incredibly well, pulling strong and shifting very smoothly even though all synchros and 1st/reverse slider are new and yet to be worked in.

Click to view attachment

Now need to focus on my ground issue, interior install, final trim fitment and targa trim install.

Getting closer!
Larmo63
Wow, she lives!!!

Very nice and a long time coming. smilie_pokal.gif
FlacaProductions
Awesome - love this build!
914_7T3
Thanks guys, almost forgot the best part. Car was running super cool in 86 degree ambient temperature with 25% humidity.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.