Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resto-Thread: '73 Marathon Blue 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
914_7T3
70 mile Shake Down Run this evening in the canyons of Malibu! driving.gif

Now showing 240 miles and one more run before I get the break in oil out of there & bleed the brakes on Sunday.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Click to view attachment
euro911
Looking good, Jeffery first.gif
bbrock
You give me inspiration sir. Proof that it CAN be done! smilie_pokal.gif
ndfrigi
Nice and congrats Jeffery!
For sure lots of smile and joy driving it now!
Oh what happen to the black License plate “914 7T3”?

euro911
Blue plates are actually the correct ones for 914s
914_7T3
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 17 2020, 10:42 AM) *

Blue plates are actually the correct ones for 914s

Yes and G-K is correct lettering for the '73 model year for the most part.

first.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 17 2020, 06:52 AM) *

You give me inspiration sir. Proof that it CAN be done! smilie_pokal.gif

@bbrock

Yes, it can with the help of the 914 World community! As you know, its not all rainbows and unicorns.

Finally the mechanical is sorted and the car drives amazing. The feel of the Konis sports are great and the engine pulls strong, surprisingly so for a 1911 cc. Transmission shifts smoothly too.

Aside from all that the punch list is quite long, but we will get there...
914_7T3
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 17 2020, 07:50 AM) *

Nice and congrats Jeffery!
For sure lots of smile and joy driving it now!
Oh what happen to the black License plate “914 7T3”?

Yes, for sure! 914 7T3 plates are now garage art. Wanted to run the period correct blue & yellows!

beerchug.gif
914-300Hemi
Looking good. first.gif
tygaboy
cheer.gif first.gif aktion035.gif
and now:
driving.gif
driving.gif
driving.gif
sb914
Congrats!Click to view attachment
sb914
Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(sb914 @ Jun 18 2020, 07:40 AM) *

Look at that SoCal crew smilie_pokal.gif

Couldn't have done it without you guys and hard to believe that photo was taken two years ago on suspension swap saturday! (Saturday June 9, 2018)

914_7T3
Haven’t posted for the last few weeks, so here is the update:

Was down in OC a few weeks ago and spent the day on electrical trouble shooting (more like trial and error) and solved what was originally thought to be a ground issue on the 4-way flasher circuit. Swapped in a couple of different relays and cleaned the connections where it seats in the fuse box and that did the trick.

Click to view attachment

Next issue: later that week the fog lights and high beams started going intermittent when toggling back to low beams. Correctly guessed this to be a realy issue as well. Shout out to @mblizzard for hooking me up with a NOS one from a 6 ½ year old FS classified.

Click to view attachment

Lesson learned, these little f-ckers fail so always have back up on hand.

Click to view attachment

Last electrical items are to crimp new connectors to the 4 pole door switch and swap out the fasten seat belt light assembly that tested bad. I think the switch may be grounding so ignition buzzer and courtesy light activated by the driver’s side is not functioning as it should. Also need to revisit the green/white wire that connects to the fan control lever. There is another wire connected there and haven’t had the chance to figure out what it is or where it goes, but the fan is not working for sure.

Restored the rear-view mirror by sanding down the trapezoid mount to ready it for new adhesive pad and hit it with Krylon plastic paint. Now good as new.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Some more shake down runs and miles are up over 300 so it was time to change out the break in oil for some Penn Grade 20W 50. I had been monitoring the oil before every drive and was at the fill line before changing it. Once under the car, realized that it was leaking from the filter. Dodged a bullet there.

Click to view attachment

Next step was to bring the car back to the body shop to revisit the gaps and touch up some boo boos that happened on reassembly. Oil level was perfect after that 75 mile run.

All the rain tray fitment issues stem from the fact that the battery tray is bolted to the quarter panel incorrectly. Tired of this oversight from the first go round so decided to source a NOS tray and support to be welded in and painted. Not the correct way to do it after the drivetrain was reinstalled and mechanicals dialed it, but it is what it is.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Heat in the rear trunk along with poor prep has caused the paint to bubble up and discolor in the area above where the muffler sits. Solution is to prep and repaint along with installing a thermal absorption pad under the heat shield.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Should be another week and then its onto the interior and install the targa trim. Rear targa bar has been sanded & polished and ready to re-anodize.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Getting really close and already looking forward to cooler driving weather in the fall.

driving.gif
Cairo94507
You are doing a great job of working your way through all of the issues. You are going to be thrilled with the end result. beerchug.gif
iankarr
Looking great, Jeffrey!
logica
Congratulations - I have one with the same color - '74.
914_7T3
Picked up the car in Riverside last Friday, but first got some help from @bdstone914 & @jordan_29 in installing some thermal protection on the heat shield above the muffler.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Battery tray install is finally complete and the rain tray clears as it should. Also reconnected the previously repaired green/white wire to the rear fan motor lever at the tunnel. Figured out that there was never a second ground wire on it after all, but merely the broken tab from the original wire. laugh.gif Pulled the lever down and the fan fired up right away. Surprising how powerful it is.

Gaps are much better, but still need to get into the headlight cover and height adjustments some more. Also stumped that the rear decklid is sitting a little high on the passenger side and need to wrap my head around that.

Click to view attachment

Now the car is in process of getting the interior installed. Z-Mat insulation is in and carpets will be next.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Spent the morning sorting hardware for the door panels, carpet strips, backpad, speakers and center console. Should have that complete by the end of the week.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Next appointment will be getting full front end X-Pel clear bra installed on August 12th. driving.gif
914_7T3
More interior install pics...

Used the original 8 piece vinyl kit as a template and re-cut with OEM German materials

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Loop Carpet Kit from Autobahn Interiors

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Rear Targa Pad installed

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

re-chromed visor clips compliments of @914Sixer

Click to view attachment

Backpad

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Should be good to go on Monday......
914_7T3
Backpad

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Should be good to go on Monday......
second wind
You are setting the bar pretty high Jeffrey.....appreciate it....I'd best get some work done on my car to get even close.....looking good!!
gg
Superhawk996
Coming along nicely! Keep hammering it. piratenanner.gif
FlacaProductions
Monday is gonna be a good day...
euro911
Lookin' gr8, dude aktion035.gif
Cairo94507
Your car is looking great. I love to see them back on the road so everyone can see and enjoy them. beerchug.gif
bbrock
popcorn[1].gif How exciting! For once I'm going to implore you to ignore @Superhawk996 . Do not get a hammer anywhere near that beautiful ride!!! drooley.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Aug 8 2020, 04:59 PM) *

Monday is gonna be a good day...

Yah, I didn’t have to use my AK!...... Ice Cube

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Left the knee pad off until the radio goes in and need to swap out the backpad light to the chrome surround version.
914_7T3
Had the Xpel clear bra installed yesterday and was dreading the 35 mile trip back. Timing was at 5:00pm in rush hour with potential for triple digit temperatures for a portion of the drive.

Not a good plan in an air cooled, but what a great test for how the motor would perform.

Final grade A+ So glad the decision was made to keep the motor stock that would run cooler than going with 96mm P&Cs.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
second wind
Hello 914_7T3....that weather report tells me the upcoming week is perfect for touching up the paint....will dry hard as a rock in about four minutes.....can do ten coats in under an hour....with sanding each coat. Was picking up my kid at 3:pm from West Hills (Chatsworth adjacent) in September and the school sign said 104 degrees.....in the pick up line for 20 minutes....car blew up days later. Stay cool smile.gif
gg
bbrock
You already knew this but now you have measurable proof. Your car is cool! aktion035.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 13 2020, 04:05 PM) *

Not a good plan in an air cooled, but what a great test for how the motor would perform.

@914_7T3

Perfect day for aircooled.

Not sure why so many think air cooled isn't OK in hot weather. Aircooled has proven itself over millions of miles in all environments including desert conditions. Radial airplane engines. Air cooled tank engines. Kübelwagen in N. Africa.

Continental motors in American tanks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_AV1790

https://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/watch-lis...kes-real-power/

Love the gauge picture. So nice to see the gauges working properly.

Congratualations on doing this properly. So much better to rebuild properly, make sure flaps and thermostat are working properly, and to have the wiring sorted. You should get lots and lots of trouble free miles. Great Job!!
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 13 2020, 04:56 PM) *

You already knew this but now you have measurable proof. Your car is cool! aktion035.gif

I see what you did there laugh.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 14 2020, 05:14 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 13 2020, 04:05 PM) *

@914_7T3

Perfect day for aircooled.

Not sure why so many think air cooled isn't OK in hot weather. Aircooled has proven itself over millions of miles in all environments including desert conditions. Radial airplane engines. Air cooled tank engines. Kübelwagen in N. Africa.

Continental motors in American tanks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_AV1790

https://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/watch-lis...kes-real-power/

Love the gauge picture. So nice to see the gauges working properly.

Congratualations on doing this properly. So much better to rebuild properly, make sure flaps and thermostat are working properly, and to have the wiring sorted. You should get lots and lots of trouble free miles. Great Job!!

Great info! My only point of reference is driving the car with bad valve guides when I first got it. Was on my first PCA run to Tehachapi and had to pull over several times to add oil and let it cool down in 94 degree ambient temperature.
914_7T3
Had the car in on Wednesday at American Wrap Co. for installation of XPel clear bra. This is a great shop and their installers have won many industry awards at automotive events around the country. They also do the work for Singer Automotive so I was glad to find them. Quality of service was first rate.

The film was applied to the "full front"; hood, fenders, headlight covers & brows and backs of the mirrors.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

In answer to @bbrock 's question, when you look from panel to panel with and without film, in this case fender to door, you can not see a difference to the naked eye. The key is to have it installed correctly and to use the 8mm film and not the 10mm.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 15 2020, 11:36 AM) *

In answer to @bbrock 's question, when you look from panel to panel with and without film, in this case fender to door, you can not see a difference to the naked eye. The key is to have it installed correctly and to use the 8mm film and not the 10mm.

Click to view attachment

That is impressive! Thanks! beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Beautiful job! beerchug.gif
Tdskip
I can see why you would want to protect that car, thanks for the updates and great thread.
914_7T3
Just got back the oil analysis on the break in oil and wanted to share for those that have not seen the format from Blackstone Labs. Added a quart of 20W50 at 270 miles as the oil filter was not correctly tightened and was leaking.

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Random Photos from last weekend's brake bleed with @ndfrigi & @ValcoOscar

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Finally I was able to test drove this beautiful car! yehey!
Jefferey also replaced his front hood seal.
914_7T3
Please refrain from moving about the cabin when the fasten seat belt light is on!

Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
Ok. Now you’re just showin’ off. Ha!
914_7T3
More excited than I should be, but the thing never worked from day one. Just got around to swapping out the housing. Started her up and nothing happened ‘til the E-brake was lowered. laugh.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 15 2020, 01:36 PM) *

Had the car in on Wednesday at American Wrap Co. for installation of XPel clear bra. This is a great shop and their installers have won many industry awards at automotive events around the country. They also do the work for Singer Automotive so I was glad to find them. Quality of service was first rate.

The film was applied to the "full front"; hood, fenders, headlight covers & brows and backs of the mirrors.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

this looks awesome , they did a great job. So based on your posts here and a couple others, i just found someone here locally that has a great reputation and worked on some member cars etc from our car group andt he PCA,
called them and booked this to be done next week. Apparently some cars they have templates for, and the 914 front and hoods are in the Xpel system, so i guess those that participate in their dealer network have access to these so it saves a lot of time and therefore $$., my quote here is $1000 plus tax for the front hood, front quarters and that included the headlight covers that have to be done free hand at $50.
I am now also considering having them do the doors now as well, and the rears and rear quarters in a few months. .
Its probably a good investment if youve spent $10k on repaint, right?

Phil
Cairo94507
I had those same thoughts re PPF on essentially the exterior. But I ended up just wrapping the hood, eye brows and headlight covers, headlights and fogs. My front fenders are fully wrapped to. I did a door edge piece from the handle down and the door handle cups. I had to drW a line in the sand there or the clear bra would have been about $3K. I went with xpel too and it looks great.
kroelofsen
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 26 2020, 11:25 PM) *

Random Photos from last weekend's brake bleed with @ndfrigi

Click to view attachment

@914_7T3 What kind/brand lift your using? Do you like it? What's the lifting height?

PS Your car looks fantastic
914_7T3
QUOTE(kroelofsen @ Aug 31 2020, 08:36 AM) *

Click to view attachment

@914_7T3 What kind/brand lift your using? Do you like it? What's the lifting height?

@kroelofsen

It’s a Bend Pak, but I don’t have specs on it as it is @ValcoOscar ‘s. Sadly, there is no budget left for me to Remodel the garage with a good lift solution for a while!
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 31 2020, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(kroelofsen @ Aug 31 2020, 08:36 AM) *

@kroelofsen

It’s a Bend Pak, but I don’t have specs on it as it is @ValcoOscar ‘s. Sadly, there is no budget left for me to Remodel the garage with a good lift solution for a while!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaqoJEkJN2Y

Oscar
914_7T3
Busy weekend, picked up the car from @jbcottrell at TRE Motorsports on Friday afternoon after the 1st valve adjust and compression check. Compression was even at 125 across all cylinders. Motor was intentionally built at slightly lower numbers to run cooler with increased durability.

On the way back, stopped in at Morro Auto interiors to get the new bulkhead perlon glued in. The adhesive was applied in a custom pattern with my name in it biggrin.gif They will also recover the original tire board & create a new rear trunk carpet in matching material.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Also prepped and polished a second rear targa trim as the first one was anodized black by mistake instead of clear, so now it is anodize Take II!

Spent Saturday with @ValcoOscar & @bdstone914 working on yet another brake bleed and getting the rear trunk torsion rods onto the rollers. All I can say is thanks for risking various body parts to get this done. Not easy and downright scary for sure, but look Ma no hands!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Also corrected some more fuse and relay issues causing the 4-way flashers and fog lights to be intermittent. Now that I'm done under the dash, will get the radio installed and lower dash pad in to finish off the interior.

Oscar also had the correct size rivets & rivet gun and so we were finally able to get the threshold plates on correctly.

Click to view attachment

Other items completed;

Swapped out engine lid hook for a freshly plated one

Click to view attachment

New element from @Nie Zu Alt arrived yesterday for the replacement lighter

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cleaned up a replacement original dome light. @bdstone914 suggested an LED bulb to prevent heat build up and avoid cracking the lens.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Lastly, have been experimenting with waterless car wash products and have joined the converted. Super easy to work with and no reason to put a hose over the car!

Click to view attachment

So close now, I can smell it rolleyes.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.