Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resto-Thread: '73 Marathon Blue 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Superhawk996
At my age, I'll take any sort of shout out that I can get from a young (legal) girl. happy11.gif Looking forward to seeing these types of favorable reactions to 914's. Even back in late 90's when I had my last 914 they always attracted their fair share of attention. Can only imagine that it has increased given how rarely I see a teener vs. what I used to see back then.
930cabman
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 21 2020, 11:09 AM) *

At my age, I'll take any sort of shout out that I can get from a young (legal) girl. happy11.gif Looking forward to seeing these types of favorable reactions to 914's. Even back in late 90's when I had my last 914 they always attracted their fair share of attention. Can only imagine that it has increased given how rarely I see a teener vs. what I used to see back then.

+1, "At my age", you might restate that comment to include "any attractive female"

I most certainly would and I am over .... well old

BTW, great looking ride 7T3
914_7T3
Targa trim gods still hate me.....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Shout out to @Mikey914 Just talked to Scott at 914 Rubber and he is overnighting me some replacement trim and vinyl. These guys are the best.

Not only do the Targa Trim gods hate me, but so do the shock absorber gods.

The rebuilt set of Koni reds of unknown origin have leaking seals. This is a blow to my quest for originality, but I'm over it and have a new set of adjustable Koni Sport yellows going in.

Click to view attachment

Superhawk996
Car is beautiful.

Red Krylon . . . shades.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jan 14 2021, 12:07 PM) *

Targa trim gods still hate me.....

Shout out to @Mikey914 Just talked to Scott at 914 Rubber and he is overnighting me some replacement trim and vinyl. These guys are the best.

Not only do the Targa Trim gods hate me, but so do the shock absorber gods.

The rebuilt set of Koni reds of unknown origin have leaking seals. This is a blow to my quest for originality, but I'm over it and have a new set of adjustable Koni Sport yellows going in.

Oh so close.... headbang.gif

Oscar
ClayPerrine
You do know that you can have Koni shocks rebuilt?

Clay
914_7T3
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 14 2021, 01:52 PM) *

You do know that you can have Koni shocks rebuilt?

Clay

Yes, but the cost is $650 plus return shipping while the car is disabled throughout the process. Was able to get the new set for $400 all in and can do a direct swap.

The plan is to keep the reds and perhaps rebuild at a later date.

driving.gif
914_7T3
Its been a while since my last post and am updating as the rear shocks have been replaced with Koni adjustable Sport yellows. They are on the medium setting and are super firm which I don’t mind at all. The car feels great.

The targa trim from Porsche Classic is finally installed. It looks good enough, but I am not entirely satisfied with the fitment nor the quality. I managed to source some clean original replacements in good condition and would like to get them re-anodized from an automotive restorer and not industrial anodizer. Now that the car is together and dialed in there is no rush on that.

Had the car out today at Cars and Coffee Los Angeles and here are some pics

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
Malibu? Looks great - what a fantastic day for a drive, too!
914_7T3
Now is the time to officially call this project DONE! It has been quite the journey and am grateful for the experience, but more so from the support of this fantastic community!

If you have so much as commented on a post or to offer advice or encouragement, Thank you!

If you have sold me a part on the forum, Thank you!

If you have taken time to join in on any of the build days in OC or here in LA, Thank you!

With that said, I would also like to thank the following people and the entire SoCal/OC Cal crew for going above and beyond in moving the project forward:

@arne & Craig at Camp 914 for helping me get the car bought

@ValcoOscar for your unwavering support and willingness to help when I was in completely over my head. Also for the generous use of your garage to help get stuff done!

Click to view attachment

@bdstone914 for always being a great resource with parts, Suspension Swap Saturday and many a reassembly day!

@914Sixer The King of NOS parts who always found the time to dig up whatever was eluding me and giving great advice!

@Larmo63 Not only for being a wiseass, but all your help on Suspension Swap Saturday!

Click to view attachment

@SoCalAndy for the advice and reassembly days and especially trouble shooting the no spark issue!

@IanKarr What a time on the airbox installation and all the way from the east coast too!

Click to view attachment

Special thanks to the following vendors for their role in assisting on this Resto:

Bela Szekely of Bela’s Foreign Auto Repair in Burbank, CA for the awesome build of my Type IV. An incredible talent and one Helluva great guy!

Click to view attachment

Regan Seegraves of World Class Restoration in Riverside, CA for a World Class Paint Job!

Click to view attachment

Kevin at KCR Transmission in Riverside, CA for the 901 rebuild!

Dave & Jeremy at TRE Motorsports

James at German Motors

Powder Craft Los Angeles

Van Nuys Plating

@Eric_Shea at PMB for awesome service and tech support on all things braking (not breaking)!

@Mikey914 & Scott at 914 Rubber

Tucker at AASE Sales

Roger at Retro Automotive Products

Car Bone

Auto Atlanta

Continued on next post.....
914_7T3
Continued from previous post......

Morro of Morro's Auto Interior in Van Nuys, Ca

Tyler at American Wrap Co in Thousand Oaks, CA

John Hayes at Hayes European in Santa Cruz, CA for the PPI

The 5 previous custodians of this awesome survivor that left enough of a paper trail to connect with all of you! From Portland to Seattle, back to Portland & onto Santa Cruz before finding a new home in LA!

Rod Torres, @Flacaproductions , @Ed_Turbo , @Mike D @RobArabian @Chi-town

My ’73 Restoration Support Crew @bbrock & @Superhawk996

@windforfun @914LIVE @Sled9146

Hopefully, I haven’t forgot anyone!

Forget about a Village, it takes a World…914World!

See you out there in the Twistys!!! driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif
914Sixer
Got to be a great feeling. smilie_pokal.gif
Superhawk996
Done? idea.gif I don't think I've ever seen a 914 that was declared Done.

What a great looking car! Glad you're finally able to drive and enjoy it. Well Done!
914_7T3
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 28 2021, 04:31 PM) *

Done? idea.gif I don't think I've ever seen a 914 that was declared Done.

Car's not done....I'm done av-943.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Mar 28 2021, 07:32 PM) *

Car's not done....I'm done av-943.gif

lol-2.gif I can relate to that feeling. I'm not even close yet but I have those days!
ndfrigi
Finally it is 99.9% done
iankarr
It's never really done till you sell it wink.gif

Congrats, Jeffrey! Your car is amazing!

Hope to take a celebration lap with you soon...
Ed_Turbo
Congrats Jeff! Glad to hear the 2.0 project is wrapping up.

Now don't drive your Concours d'elegance lol-2.gif

-Ed

930cabman
Congrats on a job well done and Marathon Blue to boot, enjoy her in good health and Happy Motoring
flyer86d
QUOTE(930cabman @ Apr 3 2021, 03:37 PM) *

Congrats on a job well done and Marathon Blue to boot, enjoy her in good health and Happy Motoring

It’s a beauty! Congratulations!

Charlie
914_7T3
Haven’t updated this thread for quite some time so here we are! Now at 5,800 miles on the clock and still running great! driving.gif

Click to view attachment
930cabman
Lookin good cheer.gif

Wish my Marathon Blue was in this condition, but welder.gif , still a few miles to go
Cairo94507
Stunningly beautiful and sitting perfectly. smilie_pokal.gif
Superhawk996
aktion035.gif
burton73
Jeffrey, Still looking great. I lust for your car.

Best Bob B
FlacaProductions
Fantastic - well deserved.
second wind
That is a damn nice looking car Jeffrey....drive safe (as possible) and hope to see you on the road again soon !!
gg
technicalninja
I'm a bit superstitious about finishing a project car.

I've had three friends tell me their cars were DONE!

Within a month of this statement all three were...

One was consumed in a garage fire. 1971 Pantera

One was stolen and stripped. 72 Datsun 510 BRE clone

One was T-boned by a lady in a Subaru with no insurance. 70 Datsun 240Z

These were the ONLY cars I've heard of being "done" and they really, really were.

I'll NEVER finish any of mine...
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 19 2023, 12:30 AM) *

Haven’t updated this thread for quite some time so here we are! Now at 5,800 miles on the clock and still running great! driving.gif

Click to view attachment

man that looks superb! what a great color, glad you are getting some miles on it!!

I just turned 35,000 miles since my car came back from paint 5 years ago!! going to get some dings but as Dr. Porsche said, " they are made to be driven" , not sitting!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.