Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Strike Plate Mounting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jvmarino
I have searched for the answer to my question multiple times over the years (when I get inspired to search for the answer every so often), and thought I would just put it out there for input from other owners.

When I restored my 1974 2.0 many years ago (before there was much internet info), I had the door jambs repaired, and there was nothing to screw the door strike plates to. I fabricated a 1/4" solid steel plate that was drilled/tapped so I could adjust the strike as needed and tighten it to jamb (sandwich jamb sheet metal between strike plate and tapped steel plate). Has worked fine all of these years, but I always figured there may have been more in the original design.

I have found replacement angle pieces that look to get welded to the backside of the jamb and the unibody wall inside the rear fender, but still no idea what the strike was screwed into from the factory.

I am sure what I have is functionally correct, but probably doesn't meet side impact requirements (especially on the later cars with the impact beams in the door). Have found very little info or pictures on the internet. Hoping someone here can enlighten me as to how the strike plates were factory installed.

Jim
Olympic 914
The rectangular box holds the back side of the strike plate. it just floats in the box. Sounds like you already have the same setup just missing the outer sheet metal box. Probably doesn't add much structurally to the door jamb.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Great picture and clean inner fender/door jamb.
jvmarino
Thanks for the pictures. What I have seen as parts sold (Restoration Design among others) are the attached.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.