Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another early handbrake question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
theer
I have the early folding handbrake handle and getting the flashing light to go out is a two-handed process to get the switch fully depressed.

Is there supppsed to be a spring somewhere on the handle mechanism to help release the brake?

Anyone got a picture?

Thanks,
Tom
GeorgeRud
I've always had to hold the folding part of the handle up while moving the entire handle to it's resting position to close the switch and turn off the handbrake light. I'm unaware of any spring or other assist and there is no adjustment on the switch.
theer
Yup- that's exactly what I have to do.
Thanks for confirming.
IronHillRestorations
There's a compression spring inside the early handle.
cwpeden
I just took mine apart last week.

There is a spring at the yoke just before the firewall. Other than that it probably just needs cleaning and lube at the pivot and cable joints.

Mine was frozen where the cable connects to the handle.

theer
Hmm, I'm missing that spring at the firewall. I don't see where/how a spring connects.

Do you have a picture?
theer
Hmm, I'm missing that spring at the firewall. I don't see where/how a spring connects.
Everything is free and loose.
Do you have a picture?
mepstein
914rubber sells the spring
cwpeden
looks like this:
https://914electric.files.wordpress.com/201...4/handbrake.jpg
McMark
The spring at the firewall is only on later cars. If you're using stock components an two-piece eBrake handle won't have the firewall spring ever.

There is a spring just behind the button, and there is a 'finger-spring' at the rear end of the pushbutton-rod. Those finger springs almost always break. But the symptom for that failure is that the pawl won't click against the teeth and the eBrake won't hold at the top when you set it.

I got in the habit of pushing down on the joint in the middle of the lever after I release it.
cwpeden
Learned something new. Couldn't remember if my 72 had one.

Thanks
rgalla9146
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 25 2017, 12:36 PM) *

The spring at the firewall is only on later cars. If you're using stock components an two-piece eBrake handle won't have the firewall spring ever.

There is a spring just behind the button, and there is a 'finger-spring' at the rear end of the pushbutton-rod. Those finger springs almost always break. But the symptom for that failure is that the pawl won't click against the teeth and the eBrake won't hold at the top when you set it.

I got in the habit of pushing down on the joint in the middle of the lever after I release it.

I agree with all of the above.
The old handle is such a quirky mechanism that when it is set most drivers would not be able to release it.
cwpeden
That's funny, it was the first thing I took out of my 72 and put in the 73. That and the seatbelts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.