Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedbleeders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
geoff, how does the speed bleeder work and where did you get it?

kevin
Part Pricer
IPB Image

The new and improved way !
Introducing SPEED BLEEDERĀ®, the patented bleeder screw with the built-in check valve. It is truly a one-person bleeder screw. Once installed, it becomes a permanent part of the brake system. When it is time to bleed your brakes, you loosen the Speed Bleeder 1/4 - 1/2 turn and pump your brake pedal. When the pedal is depressed the pressure generated opens the check valve letting air and brake fluid out of the end of the Speed Bleeder. When you release the pedal and it returns to the up position, the check valve closes and prevents any air from reentering the system through the Speed Bleeder. When bubble free fluid is evident you close the Speed Bleeder. In the closed position it works just like your stock bleeder screw and prevents any brake fluid from leaking out. It generally takes about 5 pumps to purge each caliper or wheel cylinder. That is all there is to bleeding your brakes. If at a later date you need to bleed your brakes, the patented thread sealing system makes it easy to open the bleeder screw to perform the bleeding operation. It is made of quality materials and it is economical.
Bleyseng
Pelicanparts is where I got them. Best damn money I spent for brakes improvments. I got the petal to be hard and right at the top of the stroke. I am running 320i fronts and rebuild rears with a 19mm MC, SS lines. Is a 30min job now to bleed the brakes by myself!

Geoff
rhodyguy
thanks paul. so you need four. i wonder if they are avail localy. if i'm talking brakes you know i'm close to being road worthy. my wife detests pushing on the brake pedal. what do they run?

kevin
Part Pricer
You can get them direct from speedbleeder.com for $7 each. They are available at a lot of places. My FLAPS stocks a lot of different sizes.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
rhodyguy
damn, i don't want to wait. think bow wow would have them? anybody local know where to get them? leave your car in the driveway geoff. i'll come borrow yours. wink.gif

kevin
seanery
OK, here's the million dollar (or dumb) question.

If I'm doing this by myself, how do I see when the air is out (when I'm in the driver's seat)?

Obviously, the old way I see it cause I'm opening the bleeders manually and see it.
rhodyguy
i can't keep up, it's like the last 30 secs of an ebay auction. anyone know the right thread size for stock calipers? is there a dif?

kevin
Part Pricer
You need part number SB7100. You need four of them.

Now, about the "how do you know when..." question, it is a good one. Here is how I handled it so I could bleed by myself.

I bought a length of clear tubing, about 4 feet. I attach one end of the tube to the speed bleeder on the caliper. Then, I loop the tubing almost straight up, over a saw horse, and then down into an old milk jug. I open the bleeder then get in the car. When I press down on the brake pedal, any air that is in the line will rise to the highest point. The highest point is now where the tube loops over the saw horse. I hit the pedal a few times and when I see no more bubbles accumulating, I'm done. Then, I close up the bleeder and move to the next one.

I use a little more brake fluid this way, but I'm not that cheap so the convenience outweighs the cost.
Bleyseng
Call BowWow as I bet they have them.
Who needs to see what comes out, just pump the petal 5 times. Go on to the next one. Use a clear hose and a glass jar to catch the fluid to see what came out.
Geoff
rhodyguy
perfect. the wife wouldn't mind watching. it's the pump, pump, pump, HOLD that goes on forever, that drives her crazy.

kevin
tod914
with the speed bleeders, I take it that one of the hand pump vacume do-giggies is not needed.
Paul, did you have to bleed from your portional valve to get the desired result? If my brakes werent hosed, Id drive up and camp out on your front yard and have you give me a hand blink.gif Thanks again for the all the tips.
rhodyguy
i have the dual bleeders on my cali. i take it they would go on the top ones, to purge all the air.

kevin
Lawrence
Yeah, that's right, Kevin. Speed bleeders at the bottom might help flushing the tiniest debris out of the bottom of the caliper (but how often do you really do that)?
rhodyguy
there better not be any debris. they're new.

kevin
tryan
i have read on other posts that a little dab of grease on the threads makes a tight seal durring bleeding.
Lawrence
They come with a special sealant already on the threads. SB sells replacement sealant if yours gets a little worn from heavy use.
scotty
Sounds cool...can they be used with a pressure bleeder?
rhodyguy
these babies are slick. they work like a charm. i'll save the locals 20 phone calls. Austins Promax at 56th and s tacoma way can get them, same day or next . i wonder if the the offenhouser engine they have on display would fit would fit a 914!

kevin
nealnorlack
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 1 2003, 06:03 AM)
perfect. the wife wouldn't mind watching. it's the pump, pump, pump, HOLD that goes on forever, that drives her crazy.

kevin

The pump, pump, pump, hold makes my wife crazy to!!
smlove2.gif stones.gif wub.gif
rhodyguy
speed is not the key to THAT function. wink.gif

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.