Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange Noise Post Valve Adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
After adjusting my valves on my 2.0L I get a metallic tinkling noise when revving the engine. It is not tappet noise, like when the valves are too loose. It goes away as soon as the engine starts to heat up. It does not seem to be coming from the upper engine compartment, more like from below on passenger side. I have never had this before. I was worried that I had forgotten to remove a feeler gauge from one of the valves, but I pulled the covers off today just to be sure- nothing was there. It sounds like something really light and metal causing the noise. Any ideas?

Ansbacher
mgphoto
pushrod tube retainer spring out of place rubbing on a pushrod.
Mike
injunmort
cooling fan loose on the hub.
mgphoto
alternator bracket broken or loose.
Mike
type2man
I dont really consider a valve adjustment and adjustment, it more of a check. If you had to adjust your valves more than a 1/4 turn since the last time, maybe you have another issue. I've driven about 20k on my engine and never needed any adjustment so far.
rjames
Solid or hydraulic lifters? Your description of the noise going away makes me think you have hydraulic lifters.

It's easy to make a mistake when adjusting valves. If that was truly the only thing you did before the noise started happening, I would go through the process again if you're unable to determine the sound is coming from somewhere else.
wndsrfr
Adjuster screw contacting the inside of the cover? Look inside of cover for a little bright spot...
Ansbacher
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am going back in tomorrow to look for tell tales as suggested and to double check the adjustment I did previously. Will post my findings. This is really getting me down.

Ansbacher
Dave_Darling
Also take a look in the fan. Sometimes extra stuff finds its way in there and bounces around...

--DD
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 28 2017, 08:03 PM) *

Also take a look in the fan. Sometimes extra stuff finds its way in there and bounces around...

--DD

I had a similar sound once; turned out a stubby screwdriver found its way into the fan
Ansbacher
After three "3" valve adjustments (ugh) I finally found the source of my strange metallic noise on rev up and it had nothing to do with any of my valve work but to something stupid I did probably over a year ago -

The last time I removed my stock style muffler to do something at the rear of the car (can't remember what it was), I forgot to mount and secure the two nuts that fasten the angular muffler bracket to the back of the transmission. Over time and countless jacking ups of the car, the bracket worked its way off the two studs and was just rubbing the body of the car. I pushed the bracket back on the studs, replaced the nuts, and tightened- Presto, weird noise is gone. It all makes sense now that temperature of the exhaust components made the sound come and go as things heated and cooled.

Needless to say, I am very relieved that I did not bugger something up with the valve train or worse.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Ansbacher
rjames
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Apr 30 2017, 01:52 PM) *

After three "3" valve adjustments (ugh) I finally found the source of my strange metallic noise on rev up and it had nothing to do with any of my valve work but to something stupid I did probably over a year ago -

The last time I removed my stock style muffler to do something at the rear of the car (can't remember what it was), I forgot to mount and secure the two nuts that fasten the angular muffler bracket to the back of the transmission. Over time and countless jacking ups of the car, the bracket worked its way off the two studs and was just rubbing the body of the car. I pushed the bracket back on the studs, replaced the nuts, and tightened- Presto, weird noise is gone. It all makes sense now that temperature of the exhaust components made the sound come and go as things heated and cooled.

Needless to say, I am very relieved that I did not bugger something up with the valve train or worse.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Ansbacher

As I'm sure you're aware, but that bracket supports the weight of the muffler and adds support for the weight of the heat exchangers. You may have stressed (stripped) your exhaust studs since the exchangers and the muffler were all being supported by them.
Ansbacher
Thanks for the warning rjames, but luckily the muffler was still hanging on by a thread (no pun intended). Nevertheless I will check the heat exchanger connections ASAP.

Ansbacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.