Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where to get reproduction GT oil cooler shroud?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmz
I'm trying to dress up my 914/6 GT-spec car a bit and would like stamped copy of the original GT oil cooler shroud. Anyone know where to find one?
Steve
Getty design is the only one that I know of that sells both pieces.
http://www.gettydesign.com/
http://www.gettydesign.com/914tailbases/91...-cooler-ducting
JmuRiz
I'm guessing you mean a fiberglass replica right? If so, use the above links.

If you need a metal one, contact ScottyB...won't be quick or cheap though...
raynekat
Patrick Motorsports?

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/914...ler-shroud-set/
Biggles
QUOTE(jmz @ Apr 24 2017, 05:08 PM) *

I'm trying to dress up my 914/6 GT-spec car a bit and would like stamped copy of the original GT oil cooler shroud. Anyone know where to find one?

Hi. I have one. I'm in the UK though..
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...f=5&t=59019

Chris
jmz
QUOTE(Biggles @ Apr 24 2017, 01:09 PM) *

Chris

Chris, Can you send me some more details via P.M. or email?
jmz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Apr 24 2017, 12:31 PM) *

I may go that route but was thinking metal would be best if I can pull it off without breaking the bank.
jmz
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 24 2017, 12:05 PM) *

Do you have a good way to reach ScottyB and is this something he currently makes and sells?

...is he here as Scotty B?

Thanks,
Biggles
QUOTE(jmz @ Apr 24 2017, 07:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Biggles @ Apr 24 2017, 01:09 PM) *

Chris

Chris, Can you send me some more details via P.M. or email?

PM sent
mb911
I need to find a sample and then I will make some up. They aren't that difficult to make them out of metal .
JmuRiz
QUOTE(jmz @ Apr 24 2017, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 24 2017, 12:05 PM) *

Do you have a good way to reach ScottyB and is this something he currently makes and sells?

...is he here as Scotty B?

Thanks,

Yes, he's ScottyB on here, and http://www.kahikocustoms.com/ is his shop.
Ben, you can contact Scotty too, and maybe hook something up with him getting you a sample (or maybe you could make one from an FG base)
jmz
As I look more closely and think about this it may be a bigger project than I had thought.

I think the placement of the fuel cell I have may not allow the factory type oil cooler shroud to even fit..

Thoughts?

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(jmz @ Apr 24 2017, 05:14 PM) *

As I look more closely and think about this it may be a bigger project than I had thought.

I think the placement of the fuel cell I have may not allow the factory type oil cooler shroud to even fit..

Thoughts?

Click to view attachment

Correct, It will not. Make a pattern then some galvanized sheet metal from an hvac place - scrap - and cut and bend on a brake and then screw or rivet together. You can paint, powdercoat or leave plain. You can always have a nice one done from aluminum once you know your steel one works.
jmz
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 24 2017, 04:21 PM) *

Thoughts?

Click to view attachment

Correct, It will not. Make a pattern then some galvanized sheet metal from an hvac place - scrap - and cut and bend on a brake and then screw or rivet together. You can paint, powdercoat or leave plain. You can always have a nice one done from aluminum once you know your steel one works.

Good Call. ...car is so custom anyway as I guess a lot of true and replica GTs are anyway so what the heck. I'll just get busy and fabricate something.
Larmo63
$349 for a small fiberglass shroud sounds expensive to me.

I can fabricate one myself.
914_teener
QUOTE(jmz @ Apr 24 2017, 02:56 PM) *

Thoughts?

Click to view attachment

Good Call. ...car is so custom anyway as I guess a lot of true and replica GTs are anyway so what the heck. I'll just get busy and fabricate something.

If you know how to do triangulation line development on light guage sheet metal then you don.t really need a press brake to form it. You can form it over the edge of a metal workbench or vise for a nice smoth transition shape. Always looks nicer. My two cents for ya.

Maybe you already know that. That type of metalworking is a lost art
9146BRUCE
Hi If want both pieces in metal mittelmotor in Germany is the place to go
it is not cheep cost me over 2 grand but short of going to the guy that Armondo used its the only place that I found it is an exact copy of the factory stuff.and they have it already made
Bruce
JmuRiz
With that wild of a car, maybe look into a hood exit system. Maybe mount you cooler horizontal, air from bumper coming up, through the cooler, then out the hood. biggrin.gif
mb911
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 24 2017, 02:29 PM) *

QUOTE(jmz @ Apr 24 2017, 02:56 PM) *

Thoughts?

Click to view attachment

If you know how to do triangulation line development on light guage sheet metal then you don.t really need a press brake to form it. You can form it over the edge of a metal workbench or vise for a nice smoth transition shape. Always looks nicer. My two cents for ya.

Maybe you already know that. That type of metalworking is a lost art

We teach how to do that where I teach welding.
jmz
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 24 2017, 07:59 PM) *

With that wild of a car, maybe look into a hood exit system. Maybe mount you cooler horizontal, air from bumper coming up, through the cooler, then out the hood. biggrin.gif

...not quite what I had in mind when I said I wanted to dress the car up.

It will stay a caged, race car but just going to tidy up a few things. I've got the GT headlight kit ready to go in and will probabaly put some period style seats in it along with a bit of perlon carpet and put windows back in the car. ...after a small modificaton to the cage so they will clear.

Car runs plenty cool by the way as is.
r_towle
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 24 2017, 06:03 PM) *

Slowly he slides down the slippery slope
Real6
I would suppose it depends on how original GT you want your car to look?
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 24 2017, 02:21 PM) *

Thoughts?

Click to view attachment

He is right and I did just that with HVAC galv sheet metal myself Cut it all out and found a local guy with a brake and he bent the flanges for me for $20.00. I used Rivits. Just make a template out of cardboard. You can do this. Good Luck!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914_teener
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 24 2017, 07:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 24 2017, 06:03 PM) *

Slowly he slides down the slippery slope

laugh.gif

A four is looking good now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.