Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil Foil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
Just curious about experiences with MSD coils, coil wires and my debacle.

I have recently purchased the MSD AL6 digital ignition system and MSD Tech recommended to me to only use the MSD Blaster 2 coil (duhhhh) / so I bought that piece of the puzzle to add to the setup. Both were delivered w/o a coil wire which is no surprise. What is a surprise is that the blaster 2 coil has its center connector (female) sticking out about twice the length of a bosch coil. No coil wire on the shelf for a 911 dizzy would ever reach down in there to get to the woil contact. I called MSD Tech and they said they would send me out a wire. They did. It arrived and it looks like it has two spark plug ends on it / not coil to wire end much less coil wire to dizzy end. I called and they said they would send another wire. Same thing showed up in a different color / both with MSD on the wire and ends. there must be some pair of connectors that mate to a stock 911 bosch cap and to the blaster two to make these wires work.

Pics of solutions would be great / thanks

Clues Robert?

beerchug.gif
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Apr 24 2017, 10:24 AM) *

Just curious about experiences with MSD coils, coil wires and my debacle.

I have recently purchased the MSD AL6 digital ignition system and MSD Tech recommended to me to only use the MSD Blaster 2 coil (duhhhh) / so I bought that piece of the puzzle to add to the setup. Both were delivered w/o a coil wire which is no surprise. What is a surprise is that the blaster 2 coil has its center connector (female) sticking out about twice the length of a bosch coil. No coil wire on the shelf for a 911 dizzy would ever reach down in there to get to the woil contact. I called MSD Tech and they said they would send me out a wire. They did. It arrived and it looks like it has two spark plug ends on it / not coil to wire end much less coil wire to dizzy end. I called and they said they would send another wire. Same thing showed up in a different color / both with MSD on the wire and ends. there must be some pair of connectors that mate to a stock 911 bosch cap and to the blaster two to make these wires work.

Pics of solutions would be great / thanks

Clues Robert?

beerchug.gif

icon_bump.gif
Dave_Darling
How about pics of what you have?

The stock coil wire has a connector on the end that is cylinder-shaped, and the rubber boot can be slid up or down the wire as needed to get things covered correctly.

--DD
forrestkhaag
Thanks Dave: I have since solved this MSD (Mostly Solved Debacle) conundrum of a fairly well known supplier (MSD) selling a coil that doesn't even begin to mate to their coil wires.
I resorted to purchasing from to the local hot rod shop an aftermarket coil wire that had in the kit, an extra ling copper connector that I snaked down the throat of the MSD coil then I pushed the MSD coil wire boot on to it / all neatly held securely in place with an over-sized two inch piece of black shrink-wrap. It all looks business like and seems to have solved the debacle.

Thanks again
beerchug.gif

Mark Henry
Still would have liked to seen the pics....

How do you have the coil mounted?
/6 guys have had several failures with the MSD oil filled coils mounted in the stock location on the fan. They do work well as long as they are mounted upright on the firewall, etc.

For the stock fan location use the MSD high vibration coil.
IronHillRestorations
Try this place:
Kingsborne Wire Werks, Inc.
760-736-4020

I don't know for certain, but I'll bet they can help.
forrestkhaag
thanks guys / Upright mount on original brain box bracket separate from the engine vibes.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.