Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone using the crane cams optic ignition?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
i installed this in minutes, put the eye just around where the number one cylinder is at TDC w/ some adjustment either way. The advance seems to work still, and the wheel is centered in the eye. Is this it? just hook it all up or are there pitfalls and problems when trying to time this?
ArtechnikA
that's basically it.
your timing will be different from the points but not a lot...
URY914
You're done. Mine fired up first crank. wink.gif

Paul
xsboost90
awsome! rocking nana.gif
brp914
The problem, for me anyway, was the module. I mounted it on the fan house. Maybe too much heat and vibration. Whatever. Crapped out in a year. They replaced it for free. Next one lasted a year. Threw it out, and went back to points. 3 years ago went with pertronix. So far, so good.
xsboost90
planning on mounting mine either on the firewall or inside the trunk. Should take care of all that.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (brp914 @ May 8 2005, 10:00 PM)
The problem, for me anyway, was the module.

in my case, "the module" is the HI-6 box, and mine's mounted in the cabin, to the side wall (there's a picture in some recent thread on CD ignition...). i'm the same temperature the box is, so i know it's not too bad. that box has lots of fins, too...

the /6 factory CD box is mounted under the battery.
brp914
or maybe heat wasnt the problem. I dont recall them warning against heat sensitivity. Maybe they're just no good. I would stash the points and tools needed to install them if you tend to venture out of AAA+ range.
xsboost90
ill put them in my emergency box, next to the dme relay...oh, wrong car.
maf914
I used an Allison/Crane unit for almost 10 years without any problems. I mounted the module on the engine side of the firewall.
markb
We put my crane module on the firewall. So far, it runs GREAT! smile.gif
SLITS
Installed them on race cars...both teeners presently have them and one is prolly older than you are.....great system!
Dave_Darling
The only potential problem I ran into was that the wires from the pickup moved around a bit, and the shutter started to rub on them. Happily, I caught it before any serious damage occurred. But check for that...

--DD
xsboost90
im glad i bought it!
SLITS
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ May 10 2005, 05:43 PM)
The only potential problem I ran into was that the wires from the pickup moved around a bit, and the shutter started to rub on them. Happily, I caught it before any serious damage occurred. But check for that...

--DD

Dear Damp Dave,

It has come to my attention that you may not have used all the parts in you kit. There is this little thing called a "snap tie or aircraft tie or ?" that is used to secure the wires so they don't move.

Secondly, if you take a points/condensor set and cut the wires off the little plastic thingy that is secured to the side of the dizzy and drill it out, it makes a wonderful bushing to further stabilize the wires.

Sincerely,

Wires No Move
Resident Injun Cheap
CptTripps
I bought one, but haven't installed it yet.

Mine was used, and came with the whole distributor. smilie_pokal.gif

So all I have to do is put it in, and start it up!

Let me know how you like it...I was going to wait till I actually got my car running first. The last thing I wanted to do was change a bunch of stuff like that, and then not be able to get the thing started when I had it all back together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.