Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: it's alive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
theleschyouknow
after almost 2 years my car started again Saturday afternoon smilie_pokal.gif
I have been working on it (slowly) but didn't ever fire it up -dumb
then couple months ago or so when i did decide i had the bottom end as clean as I was willing and went to start it back up it just cranked but did not fire up
then i ran the battery out to the point it wouldn't turn over at all and wouldn't take a charge, so i got a new battery still no go
I verified that I had spark at the coil and the relays were good -still no soap
I know now but did not know then what the buzz or hum the fuel pump makes sounded like but when I turned the key part way all I heard was a click no hum/buzz
so on to check the fuel pump. I am familiar with the tap on the pump if it's not working but for whatever reason didn't think about that. I figured I'd remove the pump & hook it direct to DC (battery charger) and check it that way
found I had one broken fuel pump mount/isolation bolt and the other broke on attempting removal -I eventually had to cut that one off with a cutoff wheel
replaced the isolation bolts with mercedes air filter or air cleaner iso bolts that I got for $5 at a local foreign auto parts (that's literally the name of the place) on my way home
hooked the pump up to the charger and I get nada I thought maybe connections were bad so monkeyed around with it some more fiddling with my set up and had just about started thinking about the tap on the pump method when I knocked the pump over and it started whirring right along- hey!
that was Easter weekend, then the water pump on my trunk went out spent a couple evenings sorting that then got back to the 914 Saturday
cut off the bolt remounted pump and blower piping and tried to crank again after a handful of cranks it rumbled -hey hey!
then about 2 cranks later it fired up! hey hey hey!!
so I'm super stoked and I go running to get my phone to record this momentous occasion, then I went to grab the pass rear wheel thinking I'm gonna throw this wheel on & drive!
that's when I noticed several pretty steady drips leaking out the bottom from both driver & passenger side -holy shit!
so run around to cab and shut it down -phew!
I did start it back up again to try & determine where it was leaking looks like it's at least coming from cylinder 3?(driver side closest to front) and from where the the fuel line connects with the fuel hose on the pass side that goes to the pressure regulator? and then to fuel rails and back to return
I assume my injector seals dried out & cracked causing the leak at the injector(s) ordering new unless I can pick them up at the local foreign car parts place but not sure why the line to hose would start leaking? It does still have the factory plastic fuel lines (I know, I know)
will investigate more and get it whupped eventually but I wanted to say thanks to the collective for helping me get to this point
long post for a pretty low level issue but hey, I take it where I can get it

beerchug.gif
cjl
76-914
Congrats. That is always a good feeling! beerchug.gif
bandjoey
Now the fun begins! Congrats. biggrin.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Apr 24 2017, 09:10 PM) *
I assume my injector seals dried out & cracked causing the leak at the injector(s)

Congrats on getting the car running.

If you are referring to the seals around the base of the injector which seals the intake runner where the injector enters the intake, these seals will not cause leaking fuel. They could cause high idle (if DJET) if they are leaky and letting air into the plenum area.

Unless the fuel is leaking at the interface of the injector and hose, the injector itself may be leaky and would need replaced/refurbished.
theleschyouknow
good to know
that leak may be at the hose to injector connection looks like it's coming from the rubber boot around the electrical? connection to the injector
if it's fuel hose to injector interface, can that be fixed by tightening the hose clamp or better to replace hose?

beerchug.gif
cjl
Spoke
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Apr 26 2017, 01:13 PM) *

good to know
that leak may be at the hose to injector connection looks like it's coming from the rubber boot around the electrical? connection to the injector
if it's fuel hose to injector interface, can that be fixed by tightening the hose clamp or better to replace hose?

beerchug.gif
cjl

If the source of fuel is in the electrical connection, the injector is leaking and needs replace/refurbished.

If the source is the fuel hose to injector interface, tightening the clamp will help.

Are the clamps FI style or hose style with slotted band? They should all be the FI clamping style.

bdstone914
What condition are the hoses? Are they all supple and flexible ?

When were they last replaced?

Find and fix the leaks before it catches fire. (not good) Get in there with a mirror and flash light to find the leaks.

Bruce
theleschyouknow
spoke- they are regular old worm drive hose clamps -will replace

bruce- don't know when hoses were last replaced not in the last 3-4 years for sure
the pre-bent fi hoses are fairly stiff but the other hoses thru-out the bay are still pretty elastic

beerchug.gif
cjl
theleschyouknow
well fiddling with (tightening a little at a time) my worm drive hose clamps seems to have gotten my engine bay gas leaks under control so drove it to work today!! whoop-whoop!!
I do plan on replacing all fuel lines with stainless and new rubber but need to get a few nickles together

& on my way home passed an irish green going the other way!! didn't have time to turn around and chat but we gave each other the knowing nod as we passed, don't know if he's on the board & haven't seen him before, hopefully I'll run into him again

beerchug.gif
cjl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.