Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installing new battery and smoke
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
howelljames
so installing a new battery in car. positive first. pushed negative on and immediately smoking from engine. pulled cables off. put old battery back in, I get lights, turns over, but won't start. The original battery is weak but has started car just prior to this. what did I destroy?
howelljames
QUOTE(howelljames @ Apr 24 2017, 10:13 PM) *

so installing a new battery in car. positive first. pushed negative on and immediately smoking from engine. pulled cables off. put old battery back in, I get lights, turns over, but won't start. The original battery is weak but has started car just prior to this. what did I destroy?

I'm guessing coil, but WTF? I've installed batteries before, never had this. I just had terminals off to install battery tender couple of days ago. no problem.
N_Jay
Something odd. You sure your batter was not backwards?
iankarr
Did the smoke happen with the key in the off position? If so, I'd suspect a short between the battery and the ignition switch...
boxsterfan
FI or carbs? If FI, points or electronic ignition (pertronix typically).

1. First thing I would do is listen for fuel pump (and listen for fuel flowing).
2. Next would be check for spark.
Rand
Smoke from engine is a little vague. Were you able to get any sense of *where* around the engine? Like from the dizzy, or another part of the engine bay? If the polarity was correct, it seems odd that just connecting the battery would fry something, unless there was something out of place to create a short (exposed wire, misplaced tool, etc).

Rooting for you... keep us posted.
howelljames
QUOTE(N_Jay @ Apr 24 2017, 10:31 PM) *

sure. double checked several times before installed. the smoke came from back of engine where grounds are, and underneath. (starter? alternator?) I did think i had it backwards, but I did not. That would explain it, but it was correct.
howelljames
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Apr 24 2017, 10:36 PM) *

Did the smoke happen with the key in the off position? If so, I'd suspect a short between the battery and the ignition switch...

it did happen with key off. I have noticed that to start the car, I really have to force key over. first 914, so just thought a characteristic.
howelljames
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 24 2017, 11:46 PM) *

Smoke from engine is a little vague. Were you able to get any sense of *where* around the engine? Like from the dizzy, or another part of the engine bay? If the polarity was correct, it seems odd that just connecting the battery would fry something, unless there was something out of place to create a short (exposed wire, misplaced tool, etc).

Rooting for you... keep us posted.

tools were in pocket, lol. smoke from back of engine, near all the grounds, and underneath car directly below. The car has the "voltmeter tick" when you use turn signals. I was starting with new battery to see if solved (also car been sitting and battery old). as soon as I lowered neg terminal onto post - sparks and smoke. I immediately removed and smoke kept coming. i hosed down engine bay (freaked out a little I guess). put old battery back in, no issues except cranks but no start. I get zero on voltmeter when cranking. don't know if thats normal.
howelljames
QUOTE(N_Jay @ Apr 24 2017, 10:31 PM) *

no, it wasn't. I'd admit it if it was. Wife was holding flashlight (garage light sux) and she even double checked me.
AvdDrift
Try this, apparently works on old Lotus'.Click to view attachment
Big Len
Weird problem. i think i would first check the new battery. Defective? Try it with a battery from another car and see what happens.
BillC
I agree -- check the battery. Use a voltmeter, and make sure the polarity and voltage are correct.
bandjoey
OT Side Note. someone here ( I'm too lazy to search) sold an inline battery fuse box. Never leave home without it. Here's a good reason to fuse the battery wires.
beer3.gif
JoeD
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 25 2017, 01:27 PM) *

OT Side Note. someone here ( I'm too lazy to search) sold an inline battery fuse box. Never leave home without it. Here's a good reason to fuse the battery wires.
beer3.gif

I don't think he's making them any more...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1528782
TheCabinetmaker
You're chasing a non problem. The turn signals, brakes, and lights all cause the volt meter to drop. It's a 914 thing.
struckn
QUOTE(howelljames @ Apr 25 2017, 02:11 AM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Apr 24 2017, 10:36 PM) *

it did happen with key off. I have noticed that to start the car, I really have to force key over. first 914, so just thought a characteristic.

The above comment about forcing the Key raises a question......You shouldn't have had to force the key. There's 3 Key positions, Off, Run & Start if you only go back to the Run Position between attempted starts with out first going all the way back to Off Position it won't let you go to the start position unless you force the key which will break the plastic ignition modular. Easy mistake to make as newer cars let you just go back and forth between the Run and Start positions for multiple attempts to crank the engine. Cracked ignition switch in the steering column are no good.
johnhora
QUOTE(howelljames @ Apr 24 2017, 06:13 PM) *

Apparently new battery has the reverse polarity of your old battery.

You burned up the starter.
Rand
QUOTE(johnhora @ Apr 25 2017, 12:10 PM) *

QUOTE(howelljames @ Apr 24 2017, 06:13 PM) *

Apparently new battery has the reverse polarity of your old battery.

You burned up the starter.

How do you figure it's the starter? He said it turns over. I'd think whatever let the smoke out is causing it to not get spark or fuel now. I'd check spark first because it only takes a minute. Pull a plug wire, stick a spark plug in it, ground the threads to the case, have someone crank it, watch for spark. At least that will narrow down which path to start tracing.
phatnine11
Just a quick question, if you are able to connect the old battery without any smoke issues, turn the key to the "on" position, do you get a gen light on your gauge? . The problem I had was the switch would crank the engine, but there was no power to the fuel pump or ignition system. Disconnect the distributor from the coil and check for 12 volts at the positive side of the coil. If there is no power, Then check for power at the fuel pump. If there is no power at the fuel pump, I would replace the ignition switch. This procedure is well documented on the Bird Board and the switch is less than 20 bucks. I just went through this and everything seems to flow through the ignition switch. The power lead from the battery goes straight to the ignition switch, which is un-fused.
Good luck,
Phatnine11
76-914
poke.gif You mean "we" just went thru that! av-943.gif lol-2.gif
JustinMeier
QUOTE(AvdDrift @ Apr 25 2017, 03:27 AM) *

Try this, apparently works on old Lotus'.[attachmentid=601945

Just need some blinker fluid and box bearings
phatnine11
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 26 2017, 03:45 PM) *

poke.gif You mean "we" just went thru that! av-943.gif lol-2.gif

I called the 914 helpline, I think?
headbang.gif happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.