Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Realistic Top speed of a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jason 914-6
Hi might be a dumb question but how fast do you think a 914 with a six or four in could go I'm talking like land speed fast. evilgrin.gif

Not a race car with spoilers/wings etc. but a narrow body low slung with tall gearing.
Any thoughts other than I'm screwy.gif
But the Gt class here in Australia is a soft record ( 2lt class and 3lt) and well !!!!!!!!! drooley.gif
rgalla9146
I know that windshield trim and roofs depart the car above 150 mph.
A 914 is not a good choice for Land speed racing.
A brick is not aerodynamic.
Tom_T
Well, I've had my dead stock 73 2.0 /4 with stock gearing & 165HR15 Semperit M501 tires on Riviera wheels (not even the lighter Fuchs 2L wheels which came on them) up to 121 mph on the Interstate 15 freeway through the Virgin River Gorge in Utah back in the day! happy11.gif driving.gif

So your -6 should be faster, & perhaps a slight advantage from hunging upside down on the globe down-under! biggrin.gif

PS - Seriously, as Mr. Galla notes, you'd need to do some slight mods to get up to the higher speeds with the trim, roof, probably front & rear spoilers/splitters, remove mirrors, etc. to stabilize it into the 120-150+ range, but I don't really think the 914 is as much of a "brick on wheels" as he says - having seen so many successful 914 racers, & my owning an 1988 T3/T25 Vanagon Westfalia - a TRUE "brick on wheels"!

Cheers Mate! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
6freak
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 25 2017, 03:37 AM) *

I know that windshield trim and roofs depart the car above 150 mph.

the 914 is very aerodynamic smile.gif sorry forgot to answer the ? how much money do you have because money buys MPH bottom line
76-914
The stock car's rear end becomes very light at ~125mph. Especially when you drive over one of those reflectors that are glued between lanes on the road! w00t.gif
Steve
Besides aerodynamics, check the trans gear ratios. I think the stock 914 gear box with stock gears can't go above 150. I currently have a 86 915 gear box with a 29:21 5th. I could do well over 165 in 5th, but that would be suicide without a makeover. Sheridan kit, etc.
Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
90 is a nice safe speed
Robnxious
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 25 2017, 07:37 AM) *

90 is a nice safe speed

I agree wholeheartedly with this! Would rather have really nice low end torque than top end speed with these cars
Dave_Darling
A stock 914 will do 120 MPH, given some room to get up to that speed.

A modified 914 can do 180+, but significant power and gearing and aero changes are needed.

As 6freak said, speed costs money. How serious are you about getting to that speed? Ah, excuse me--I mean, how $eriou$ are you?

--DD
horizontally-opposed
There are much better—and safer, cheaper—choices for top speed.

A stock 1997 Boxster would do 150 mph, and do it safely as long as everything is in order. The aero is balanced, etc. You can find these cars for well under $10,000—or half that in "less than perfect" shape. Spending a bit more will net you a 996, which is good for 175~ mph with relative safety (at least: it's been engineered to go those speeds). I suspect nearly any econobox today would also be better top-speed choice than a 914, but I know several have been built up for high speed. The good news is not much frontal area. The bad news is the car will need a splitter and a rear spoiler or rear wing—along with a host of small changes to keep everything on the car at speed—to get up there. And then you're still riding in something you really don't want to crash in at high speeds.

Top speed is really its own thing. Once upon a time, I did 177.865 mph on dirt as timed by USAC—with the tail wagging all the way down the course from 145 mph on. I got back and everyone asked, "WASN'T THAT THE BEST THING, EVAR!!!???" No, I thought. It was kind of interesting and more than a bit sketchy—and if I never have to do it again, that'll be fine with me. I've driven and ridden at higher speeds than that on the autobahn, and the reality is that there really isn't much skill involved—you just need good vision and the "courage" to keep the pedal pinned. It's neat once, but then it's just huge risk. At least for me. Some people really enjoy super high speeds.

Me? I'll stick to cornering and flowing roads and race tracks, running 30-80 mph—and maybe 100-140 mph on track. I just find cornering more rewarding than straight-line speed. That's not to say I don't have respect for those who are into drag racing or top speed. And, fortunately, there are some really cool events for the top-speed people in this country—from Bonneville to half-mile and one-mile events.
mepstein
Use the engine from this 293 mph car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9UbF5u-BVY0
Andyrew
All the simulations I have done with my current setup say I should be able to get close to 200mph at my high power setting and current gearing...

Will I ever do that? Not likely...

Most I've done is 150, and the rear end gets extremely light at that speed.

Serious aero would be required (Full undertray front to rear) if someone was serious about going big speeds (180+) in a 914.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Apr 25 2017, 12:57 AM) *
Hi might be a dumb question but how fast do you think a 914 with a six or four in could go I'm talking like land speed fast.

Depends on the transmission and your rpm limiter.

The stock 901 tops out around 135mph at around 6.5k+ rpm.

I've been there ...
driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 25 2017, 03:37 AM) *

The 914 has a better CD than a 930 turbo.

The only brick i can see is the one looking at the 914 ...
biggrin.gif poke.gif
naro914
I know Tony (Cracker) has done about 156 in his....but that's with a wing/splitter/wide body...and LS engine. I've topped at 140 but I know the aero needs a lot of work so I'm hoping to get 150 eventually.
6freak
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 25 2017, 09:25 AM) *

There are much better—and safer, cheaper—choices for top speed.

yeah keep the fast shit on the track cant predict other drivers on public roads
r_towle
Gearing will not be cheap.
You might want to look at those costs first.
Body wings etc are all available easily.
Gearing is not as easy to source.

Tall tires are a quick way to change the ratio
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Apr 25 2017, 03:57 AM) *

Not a race car with spoilers/wings etc. but a narrow body low slung with tall gearing.

I had my slightly lowered narrow body with no sways up to about 120 mph going down a BF'in long hill. White knuckles, my seat is now brown.
I could feel the ass end getting light, like being on ice.

I'd want my NB teen a hundred percent sorted before trying that again.

I say about 120, because of the sketchy handling I was too scared shitless to do anything but a quick glance at the speedo.
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 25 2017, 05:28 PM) *

6 cylinder (or 8) with 915 trans or go turbo suby and suby trans.
MoveQik
I've had my 3.2 with my stock 901 up to 130mph(GPS). My experience is that in stock form, the car doesn't feel stable at all at that speed. It gets incredibly light feeling.

Oddly enough, when I was at that speed, LaMonica pulled away from me in his 3.6 like I was sitting still. He just had his tranny reworked. He said he hit 150. I don't know what his speed was but when I finally caught up with him at the hotel he was putting his front trunk seal back in place. laugh.gif
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 25 2017, 10:07 AM) *

All the simulations I have done with my current setup say I should be able to get close to 200mph at my high power setting and current gearing...

Serious aero would be required (Full undertray front to rear) if someone was serious about going big speeds (180+) in a 914.

What calculators are you using. I can tell you from our experience at Bonneville, using tire size, gearing and RPM to calculate top speed is a complete waste of time. The things that matter most are frontal area, CD of the car, weight. With those numbers you can calculate - or use on line calculators - wallace racing has all sorts of them, to calculate top speed.

Air resistance kills you at high speed. To double any given speed - you will need 8X the horespower, so once you get up 150-200, the wind resistance is absolutely gobbling up your horsepower. In that case, you probably don't have enough ponies to get to gear/rpm calculated speed, just not enough HP.
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 25 2017, 02:28 PM) *

Its the horsepower that will eat your lunch money! Thats where you get the top speed, gearing is useless w/o the ponys to push it, and believe me, it takes lot of HP to push you up toward 200
mepstein
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Apr 25 2017, 08:12 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 25 2017, 02:28 PM) *

Its the horsepower that will eat your lunch money! Thats where you get the top speed, gearing is useless w/o the ponys to push it, and believe me, it takes lot of HP to push you up toward 200

I think I remember reading that the Ford GT that went 293 mph had 2500 hp.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Apr 25 2017, 05:10 PM) *
The things that matter most are frontal area, CD of the car, weight.

Weight matters for acceleration but not for top speed.

In fact, more weight may help stabilize a car near top speed. It just takes longer to get to top speed.
shades.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Apr 25 2017, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 25 2017, 10:07 AM) *

What calculators are you using. I can tell you from our experience at Bonneville, using tire size, gearing and RPM to calculate top speed is a complete waste of time. The things that matter most are frontal area, CD of the car, weight. With those numbers you can calculate - or use on line calculators - wallace racing has all sorts of them, to calculate top speed.

Air resistance kills you at high speed. To double any given speed - you will need 8X the horespower, so once you get up 150-200, the wind resistance is absolutely gobbling up your horsepower. In that case, you probably don't have enough ponies to get to gear/rpm calculated speed, just not enough HP.

Truthfully modern video games that take CD, weight, power, tire size, ect into calculation. Forza motorsports to be exact.

My gearing I believe is limited to 205 or better but after recreating my car with the exact speeds it actually does in testing puting in the appropriate gear ratios with the final drive adjusted for my larger tire diameter I seem to only get up to about 197ish when I give the car about 530hp (my estimated high power figure).

Jason 914-6
Thanks for the input, If I run as a G/GT its an open record, so if I just run in that class it's a record biggrin.gif Also none of blown records have ever been run so gives some scope to play some more, with a turbo combo. evilgrin.gif

Engine Class Breaks
A 103 440 - 500 cid (7.21 L - 8.19 L)
B 104 373 - 439 cid (6.11 L - 7.19 L)
C 105 306 - 372 cid (5.01 L - 6.10 L)
D 106 261 - 305 cid (4.27 L - 5.00 L)
E 107 184 - 260 cid (3.01 L - 4.26 L)
F 108 123 - 183 cid (2.01 L - 3.00 L)
G 109 93 - 122 cid (1.51 L - 2.00 L

Blown Grand Touring Sports - /BGT
Class Entry Driver Year Speed (mph)
A/BGT
B/BGT
D/BGT
E/BGT
F/BGT
G/BGT
H/BGT
I/BGT
J/BGT
Unblown Grand Touring Sports - /GT
Class Entry Driver Year Speed (mph)
A/GT
B/GT
C/GT
D/GT
E/GT Phil Shephard 2015 (2010, 2009, 2004) 170.068 (161.870, 149.253, 146.127)
F/GT Stephen Bridge 2010 139.919
G/GT
H/GT Hugo Halls 2013 80.504
I/GT
J/GT
The class rules
Grand Touring Sport: /BGT, /GT (Gas Only)
Series production sports cars and coupes, as well as limited production cars by a recognized automobile manufacturer, which are primarily intended for comfortable high speed touring. At least 500 of the same model must have been produced. This category does not include cars with rear seats suitable for continued adult occupancy.
The following items must be retained in stock location and of the same year as the body: frame, fenders, hood, grille, drip rails (must not be filled), windows, door handles, window trim, headlights (high and low beam), tail lights, parking lights, stop lights, radiator, both bumpers and horn. Stock gas tank must be fitted, but need not be used. Any transmission, non-quick change rear end, and starter capable of starting engine may be used, as long as the original running gear design is retained. Independent rear suspension may be replaced with any non-quick change rear end.
The following body and chassis modifications may be made: wheel openings may be radiused, generator may be removed and any exhaust system capable of being closed off may be used (no individual stacks). Air dams and air spoilers identical to factory optional equipment for the body in question may be added, bucket seats may be used (as long as original side panel upholstery or equivalent remain) minor chrome trim and emblems may be removed, and air scoops may be used. Stock windshield may not be removed or lowered.
Any tarps must be nonrigid. Engine swaps are permitted, as long as they are of the same manufacturer (e.g., Ford into Ford, Porsche into Porsche, etc.).
This class may run nitrous oxide, but will be advanced two (2) engine classes.
The following are not permitted: streamlining, belly pans, air ducts, air vents, headlight air scoops, chopping, channeling, quick change rear ends, stepped frames, exhaust outlets through the front fenders or hood, blocked off grilles or radiators, engine relocation, body and interior gutting, taped body or window seams.
Rules for this class will be strictly enforced to ensure that cars entered herein are typical of street machines which may be purchased from an automobile dealer.
Engine classes allowed are: AA, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I & J
Body Code Body Class Description
314 BGT Blown Grand Touring Sports
337 GT Unblown Grand Touring Sports
iamchappy
I'm glad my car is gear limited, red line comes in awful fast.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Apr 25 2017, 07:15 PM) *

The following body and chassis modifications may be made: wheel openings may be radiused, generator may be removed and any exhaust system capable of being closed off may be used (no individual stacks). Air dams and air spoilers identical to factory optional equipment for the body in question may be added, bucket seats may be used (as long as original side panel upholstery or equivalent remain) minor chrome trim and emblems may be removed, and air scoops may be used. Stock windshield may not be removed or lowered.
Any tarps must be nonrigid. Engine swaps are permitted, as long as they are of the same manufacturer (e.g., Ford into Ford, Porsche into Porsche, etc.).

How bad ass do you want to go?

Is the 914 qualified as a Porsche or a VW in your area?

IF its a VW you could run the same engine swap that I am running (Audi 1.8T) and pretty much put as much power as you want into the chassis like Im doing..

If its Porsche you could run the VR6 motor from the Porsche Cayenne, build it, turbo it and make 1XXXhp...
Coondog
I just want to change lanes on the freeway without having to think if I have the HP to make the move.......... driving.gif

whitetwinturbo
.............there's a reason the tail is so HUGE on my 914's "roommate".... w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif
ottox914
Doesn't the ultimate top speed depend on how high the jack stands are?
Madswede
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 25 2017, 06:00 PM) *

I've had my 3.2 with my stock 901 up to 130mph(GPS). My experience is that in stock form, the car doesn't feel stable at all at that speed. It gets incredibly light feeling.

Oddly enough, when I was at that speed, LaMonica pulled away from me in his 3.6 like I was sitting still. He just had his tranny reworked. He said he hit 150. I don't know what his speed was but when I finally caught up with him at the hotel he was putting his front trunk seal back in place. laugh.gif

I remember that run! My car got pretty damn light too, and I think I was going about the same 130 mph you were. I didn't like that feeling, so I backed off. That was my first high-speed run in a 914. It felt quite different than the 140 mph run I've done in my old 968. The 968 was heavier, not as quick, but faster and felt better since it squatted down a bit more at high speeds. I like the 914 for it's quick acceleration and quick handling, but not really too much at high speed.
Zippy69
Had the LS6 V8 914 up to 155 MPH at Pocono at 11:25 of this video and ran out of racetrack. Handled fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtGGS6VpOxg

Jason 914-6
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 25 2017, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Apr 25 2017, 07:15 PM) *

How bad ass do you want to go?

Is the 914 qualified as a Porsche or a VW in your area?

IF its a VW you could run the same engine swap that I am running (Audi 1.8T) and pretty much put as much power as you want into the chassis like Im doing..

If its Porsche you could run the VR6 motor from the Porsche Cayenne, build it, turbo it and make 1XXXhp...

Was thinking more along the factory hot rod line. sort of like a 916 clone and run a 3.0 engine. aktion035.gif
The car is know as Porsche down here biggrin.gif and because there aren't many around not many would know what the hell it is or should be. shades.gif
I have an ex race car shell that I could loan my 914-6 bits to, and run the 2.0 class while the 914-6 body is being derusted sad.gif

6freak
QUOTE(Zippy69 @ Apr 27 2017, 01:20 PM) *

Had the LS6 V8 914 up to 155 MPH at Pocono at 11:25 of this video and ran out of racetrack. Handled fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtGGS6VpOxg

probably go even faster once he figures out theres a 4 th gear in that 5 speed gearbox....wonder what size tires he has..... it sounds good
smile.gif
sechszylinder
Some time ago, I drove with approx. 118 mph on a german autobahn. smilie_flagge6.gif
The car is a stock 2.0l four banger with megasquirt injection and it seems to me that this was top speed.
But I promise, I will never do it again. Very noisy and lots of bigger and faster cars in my rearview mirror ... wacko.gif

Benno
SirAndy
QUOTE(sechszylinder @ May 4 2017, 08:43 AM) *
Some time ago, I drove with approx. 118 mph on a german autobahn. smilie_flagge6.gif
The car is a stock 2.0l four banger with megasquirt injection and it seems to me that this was top speed.
But I promise, I will never do it again. Very noisy and lots of bigger and faster cars in my rearview mirror ... wacko.gif

I've driven faster than that on the Autobahn in my '94 Renault Twingo ...
biggrin.gif
Treknwil
I had my stock 1970 1.7L up to 125, but it felt like I was floating. I changed lanes(went from the slow lane to the fast lane on a 4 lane freeway) at that speed and when I reach the fast lane the car drifted into the emergency lane just a bit sad.gif . So needless to say, I backed off just a bit. And I was at red line and could smell the engine getting hot.
sechszylinder
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2017, 09:09 AM) *

biggrin.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif you just made my day !!! av-943.gif av-943.gif
benno
6freak
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2017, 10:09 AM) *

biggrin.gif

I wouldn't tell anybody I drove a car called a twingo lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 25 2017, 02:07 PM) *

I have two words for you youngster...

Alina, Jerika. dry.gif
AZBanks
High speed is easy in a 914. You just need the proper run off area.

Click to view attachment

My apologies to any "Thelma and Louise" fans,
Al Meredith
I'm not sure Jake Raby still reads this site. If he does he will know the real numbers , but I believe his wife holds a 1 mile standing start record in a 911 at something like 160MPH.
Cracker
LOL Bob...you always get the 6 and 5 backwards (165). The 991 GT3 Cup goes 156...

Tony

QUOTE(naro914 @ Apr 25 2017, 02:12 PM) *

I know Tony (Cracker) has done about 156 in his....but that's with a wing/splitter/wide body...and LS engine. I've topped at 140 but I know the aero needs a lot of work so I'm hoping to get 150 eventually.
naro914
QUOTE(Cracker @ May 5 2017, 10:02 PM) *

LOL Bob...you always get the 6 and 5 backwards (165). The 991 GT3 Cup goes 156...

Tony

QUOTE(naro914 @ Apr 25 2017, 02:12 PM) *

The image you showed me was 156...show me 165?

Click to view attachment

Cracker
LOL Bob...that was from our first trip to Road Atlanta (those were warm-up laps!) shades.gif

Tony

quote name='naro914' date='May 5 2017, 10:09
Click to view attachment
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.