Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SoCal Windshield Installer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Managed to crack my windshield installing the BRAND NEW trim. No idea how that is even possible, but now I'm in need of a good installer. Any recommendations?

-Aaron
ndfrigi
Rufino can come to your place. He did several 914 windshield here in SoCal and even mine.

His number is: (714) 292-5811
sb914
agree.gif he did mine! Came out perfect!!
jim_hoyland
agree.gif Rufino is the guy ! He can do rubber trim too. Nice guy, fair prices, top quality work smile.gif
yeahmag
No shit! He did my glass 4 years ago and can work with State Farm for me! He's gonna come by Monday and yank the glass so I can replace the vinyl and seal and then come back when I'm ready.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 26 2017, 07:38 PM) *

No shit! He did my glass 4 years ago and can work with State Farm for me! He's gonna come by Monday and yank the glass so I can replace the vinyl and seal and then come back when I'm ready.

Sir Aaron, you can just remove the windshield by yourself and its not that hard. I'm sure you can do it. If Rufino will give charge u less if u do the removal. I'm not sure if he is charging you for a long drive since you are located in Pasadena.

euro911
How long does it typically take for him to respond? ... I left him a voice mail earlier in the day call me.gif
Larmo63
Make sure you get Ruffino and not one of his "guys," first time on the freeway all of my windshield trim flew all over and bent... headbang.gif
7TPorsh
Also look up Alfa Glass....they did mine with rubber.
euro911
Haven't heard back from Rufino yet ... I'll call Alfa. Actually, its the Vanagon that I need three windows removed from and reinstalled after minor rust repairs and paint around the window channels. Thanks beerchug.gif
campbellcj
Out here across the 101, Keith and the guys at Above All Glass in Thousand Oaks do all sorts of Porsche, hotrod and high-end cars...I have been super happy with them, worked on at least 3 of our cars so far.
ConeDodger
Some of this is hearsay, but I have a theory on cracked windshields after "pro" installs.

I hear that the pro shops are required by law to use some kind of glue that is very strong. My theory is that when the windshield is held in with the glue, it can crack because of the flex of the windshield frame. My own suspension is very stiff and as I'm driving, I can see a little movement in the windshield frame so... sad.gif
The butyl tape that was used when these cars were new might flex enough to prevent cracking.

Installing the windshield as VW/Porsche intended is very easy. I did it as a one man job. I suspect it would be best done as a two man job.

Remove the previous broken or cracked windshield.

Clean up the windshield 'bed.' I used a dremel with a abrasive wheel.

Mask and primer. Let dry and then ScotchBrite buff it to smooth it. Rattlecan spray to match.

You will need new clips for the trim, spacers, and butyl tape. These are available from AA and I suspect even George couldn't screw that up. The butyl tape is available from any auto body paint supply store. There is also a butyl primer that you put on the windshield edge before you set it. 914Rubber should put together a kit for this...

You put the butyl tape around the bed so that the holes for the clips are exposed.

Put the clips and spacers in place.

With a friend, walk the windshield over and set it on the butyl tape.

I happened to have a bunch of sandbags, so I tarped the windshield and weighted it with sandbags over night. But my understanding is that it sets when you put it in place.

Next day, I removed the sandbags and tarp and put the trim in place.

Things you might do while it's out?

I removed and replaced the forward dash vinyl and installed some tweeters. happy11.gif
euro911
Still haven't heard from Rufino unsure.gif

I called Alfa and was quoted $85. for each window ... that includes removal and re-installation, even if the re-install takes place on a different day. That comes with a guarantee against breakage.

I had another quote from someone else for $240. for all three windows, but no guarantee on breakage, so I'm willing to pay the extra $15. for the guarantee.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.