Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sell my 2.0 Engine or not?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RichPugh
I'm debating on keeping the stock matching 73 2.0 engine for the sake of keeping the original engine to go with the car if/when ever I sell the car.

I'm doing a SC 3.0 6 swap and honestly, as nice as the car is, its not a collector quality, all original car anyway. It'll have all 911 suspension and brakes (currently just a 5 lug hub conversion and 320i front calipers). It's been repainted in the original Silver Metallic. There was/is some rust repair in the hell hole and randomly other places. It's pretty nice but I think its destiny is to stay an outlaw 914.

So... should I just sell the stock carb'd 2.0? I even have a second 2.0 engine from a 74 sitting on a dolly thats not doing anything but taking up space. Im thinking I should just sell them both.

-Rich
RichPugh
I'm doing a SC 3.0 6 swap...

Pics for pics sake...

As picked up:
IPB Image
IPB Image

Cleaning it up during tear-down:
IPB Image
IPB Image
mepstein
Sell the 2nd one right away. Then after a year or two of tripping over the original engine, sell it biggrin.gif
Just kidding. I'm sure once you drop in the 3.0, you won't go back to a 4, or want to ever sell your car. These cars were meant to have a 6.

I would keep the car running with the 4 engine until you are ready to do the 6 and have all the parts needed. No reason to give up great driving weather until you need to.

Good luck with the swap.
914_teener
QUOTE(RichPugh @ Apr 27 2017, 05:08 PM) *

I'm debating on keeping the stock matching 73 2.0 engine for the sake of keeping the original engine to go with the car if/when ever I sell the car.

I'm doing a SC 3.0 6 swap and honestly, as nice as the car is, its not a collector quality, all original car anyway. It'll have all 911 suspension and brakes (currently just a 5 lug hub conversion and 320i front calipers). It's been repainted in the original Silver Metallic. There was/is some rust repair in the hell hole and randomly other places. It's pretty nice but I think its destiny is to stay an outlaw 914.

So... should I just sell the stock carb'd 2.0? I even have a second 2.0 engine from a 74 sitting on a dolly thats not doing anything but taking up space. Im thinking I should just sell them both.

-Rich

I don.t get your post. Is it a stock 2.0 which came with the car? Or is it the stock motor that somebody changed to carbs?

What is the dilemma with a good running 3.0 in the back of your truck?

So if you don.t have an original car.....which it sounds like you don.t

It.s a no brainer...put the six in.
Coondog
Install the 6, keep the 2.0 and set back and watch it gain in value.
porschetub
Best to sell the 4 unless you have pots of $$$$$,these conversions suck up money like you wouldn't believe,don't take my word for it plenty on here will agree,after you get it driving you will be very happy however.
The six is a jem of a motor in these cars IMHO,good luck.
mmascari
I am doing the same conversion on my '73 2.0. I am going to keep the matching numbers engine. My original engine needs a rebuild anyway and what is a 2.0 core really worth? Not much unless it is with the original car. Keep it.
RichPugh
I don.t get your post. Is it a stock 2.0 which came with the car? Or is it the stock motor that somebody changed to carbs?

It is the stock 2.0 that came with the car. It is currently in the car, running just fine. It was converted to weber 44's long before I bought it.

What is the dilemma with a good running 3.0 in the back of your truck?

There is not dilemma with the 3.0 in the back of my truck, lol. It is going into the 914.

So if you don.t have an original car.....which it sounds like you don.t It.s a no brainer...put the six in.

I do have an original, numbers matching 73 2.0 914. It is not "ALL ORIGINAL", i.e., original paint (no), original suspension (no), original brakes (no), original wheels (no)... But it's a 73 2.0 with the original 2.0 engine which has had the EFI removed (long gone, no idea where it is) and has been converted to dual weber carbs.

I AM putting the 6 in, haha. I was debating on selling the 2.0 that would be coming out of it versus keeping it to go with the car if I ever sold it because perhaps it would be of value to someone who wanted to have it. Sorry for any confusion.

Pics of the car...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
r_towle
Sell it, it will never be a 4 cylinder car ever again.
914forme
Sell it don't look back, btw, love the car. Like that the stripe letters match the floor mats. shades.gif
Real6
agree.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 27 2017, 09:30 PM) *

Sell it, it will never be a 4 cylinder car ever again.

^^^ this.

You won't ever go back. And if you sell it a well done conversion is always worth good $. No need for the 4.
wndsnd
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 27 2017, 08:48 PM) *

Sell the 2nd one right away. Then after a year or two of tripping over the original engine, sell it biggrin.gif
Just kidding. I'm sure once you drop in the 3.0, you won't go back to a 4, or want to ever sell your car. These cars were meant to have a 6.

I would keep the car running with the 4 engine until you are ready to do the 6 and have all the parts needed. No reason to give up great driving weather until you need to.

Good luck with the swap.

I agree, that car will never see a four again......
bigkensteele
I disagree on this one. The '73 2.0 is the second most collectible 914 behind the sixes, and this looks to be a pretty nice car. If it were me, I would restore it or sell it as a restoration candidate and buy a different car for the conversion.

Of course, I have a pretty nice '75 1.8 (least collectible of all 914s), so this is easy for me to say.

All that being said, it is your car (and a great looking one at that). Do whatever makes you happy in the end.
914_teener
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 27 2017, 08:01 PM) *

I disagree on this one. The '73 2.0 is the second most collectible 914 behind the sixes, and this looks to be a pretty nice car. If it were me, I would restore it or sell it as a restoration candidate and buy a different car for the conversion.

Of course, I have a pretty nice '75 1.8 (least collectible of all 914s), so this is easy for me to say.

All that being said, it is your car (and a great looking one at that). Do whatever makes you happy in the end.

agree.gif

IF... it were as the car was originally sold. There is a difference between an original six and a conversion six.

If it is running well then have fun with it. The amount of fun is priceless.

Your carbed 2.0 is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

Your car is already halfway down the conversion path.
turbonet
i would keep it.
Mark Henry
My vote is go balls deep, sell the /4's, convert it to a /6 and cut your /4 engine hangers off.
Don't look back.
JOEPROPER
Sell the old one and keep the original in the car until ready to put the 6 in it. Once the 6 is in and running well, sell the original 2.0. Make sure you make a video of it running before you pull it out so you can get the $ that it's worth. BTW beautiful car! wub.gif
GeorgeRud
Keep the car running as is until you have the new -6 engine ready to bolt in. The actual swap doesn't take that long once everything is at the bolt-on stage. I'd then sell the 2.0 as you'll never go back to the 4 and there will be folks that can use the 2.0 4 cylinder.
RichPugh
Thanks everyone. I think selling it makes most sense. It's going to be a 3.0 6 swap car... no question. You're right, it will most likely never be a 4cyl again. Someone, with a 73 who needs a numbers matching engine for restoration or just someone looking for a nice simple carb'd 2.0 to go into any 914, could help recoup the cash needed for all of the accessory installation items for the 6 swap. I already have a couple PM's for it, lol.
914forme
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 27 2017, 11:01 PM) *

You have an excellent point, here is my take on this having an ubber rare factory 914-6. Do it go to the dark side never look back.

BTW, to me the 73 2.0L is over appreciated as a collector. The 74-2.0L with out all the appearance group stuff is where it is at. One nobody keeps them that way. Two they have one of the best power to weight ratios of a stock 914, very important to me when I started auto-xing in stock classes. I am in a minority here, and glad to be there.

This is why I am restomodding my 914-6, enjoy the car if someone whats to offer you stupid money for it, it is nothing that you have done that, can't be reveresed for stupid money.

And believe me, the only 73 2.0L worth tons of $$$$$ is an all original 73 2.0L.

Current trend is to not buy over restored cars, people like patina, it is the driver of the barn find movement. As you can see from the muscle car crowd there is room for all of us. Stock, to full on custom, I like them all, but I will say, I love someone who has taken something made it even better, might be ugly as hell but has great underpinnings and engineering over a dolled up pig. Your car I love the colors the stripe, the letters in orange and the fact you tied the orange in on the floor mats, it is nice and subtle. It like the rake, everything was done either on purpose or shear accident for a look. I dig the look, it is almost timeless.

What it needs a -6 to make it that much more drooley.gif And if you feel like the next owner will want the -4 numbers matching engine by all means keep it. You and I both know engines that sit become pieces of scrap metal. Bad things happen to them. So if it was me, and you wanted it around, I would make it into a coffee table. Keep the carbs on it, clean it up, pull the engine tins so you can see the fins and all the little details, coat the internals in dry graphite to give it a fitting chance. Build a stand and slap a piece of glass onto of the carb airhorns, and bam you have a table. And when one someone comes to buy the car and wants the numbers matching engine, you point to the table and say there it is, it will be an additional $10K - $20K - $30K what ever your stupid number is. Or it can be a reminder of the good times with a car you built.

It is your car build it for you! sheeplove.gif them!
billh1963
You've already made the right decision. Since you are modifying the body to accept the 6 it will never be original. Sell those lumps!
RichPugh
thumb3d.gif Thanks!
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 28 2017, 04:53 AM) *

My vote is go balls deep, sell the /4's, convert it to a /6 and cut your /4 engine hangers off.
Don't look back.

Right on

Dump the old engines and go balls out
worn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 28 2017, 03:53 AM) *

Don't look back.

What I did. Cary has my engine mounts. But I started with a non-running 1.7. I rebuilt that one as a 2056 and swapped it into my '76 2.0. The idea was to have a rebuilt motor ready to go.

The answer is plain as can be. You need two 914's. In fact I love the power of the 3.6 conversion, but for tossing around the autocross, I will always go with the 4 banger. So you need 2 of them.
defianty
I'm doing a six conversion right now. I sold the original engine a few weeks ago. No regrets smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.