Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Question: would a stock FI fuel pump fuel through another fuel pump mounted in-line, but not running ?
My thought is to install a second FI pump, either in-line or in another location with a switch.
SirAndy
Why?
confused24.gif
MartyYeoman
I've had a fuel pump overheat and quit working. Spent an hour or so by the side of the road waiting for it to cool down and self heal. I've thought about how nice it would have been to have been able to restore fuel pressure at the flip of a switch. I'm not sure running a second unit in series would work. There's a check valve to be considered. Perhaps running one in parallel would work better. You'd need to bench test the idea first. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Apr 28 2017, 10:10 AM) *
Perhaps running one in parallel would work better.

You would still need a valve. In fact, you'd need one for each pump.

Why not simply carry a spare pump?
idea.gif
rhodyguy
Stop thinking so much Jim.
boxsterfan
Mounting the pump in an easy to reach location and carrying a spare seems like the best idea. "Easy to reach" can be debatable. driving.gif
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 28 2017, 10:22 AM) *

Why not simply carry a spare pump?
idea.gif

That's exactly what I do now, although it's a bit messy to swap it out.
jim_hoyland
My question is whether one running pump will push fuel through a second pump that is not on at the same time ....
BK911
Parallel with check valves.
bdstone914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 28 2017, 10:57 AM) *

My question is whether one running pump will push fuel through a second pump that is not on at the same time ....

Maybe but it will add load to the first pump. Like Andy said why not just carry a spare?
mepstein
If you move it to the front, it won't overheat. It will also make it easy to change if you duplicate the '75-76 fuel hatch on the firewall. Then you could do a replacement with just a screwdriver and not have to get underneath the car. Bob Hill / Saigon71 just did this mod due to the vapor lock he had at octeenerfest. 4X in one day. I was in the car.
GeorgeRud
Relocating the pump to the front is one of the easiest mods and eliminates the vapor locking issues. While you're at it, add a starter solenoid (as written up in another thread on this forum) and you'r making the car even more bulletproof.

And in response to the original post, adding another pump in series rather in parallel would probably work best, but would require many more fuel line connections. I think carrying a spare and moving it up front with the firewall mounted fuel pump plate would be the best and easiest solution.
Dave_Darling
George, I think you mixed up series and parallel. Parallel would be better but requires more connections.

I agree that moving the pump, or keeping hot air away from it (or ducting cool air onto it) would be a better solution, though.

Come to think of it, if the pump just plain stops working at all, it is probably on the way out and should be replaced anyway.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
Well, with that mindset we will need to carry a spare of every part on the car that would leave us on the side of the road. I could make a long list of those parts. They would probably fill up both the trunks. Sorry Jim, imho, ridiculous idea.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 28 2017, 03:32 PM) *

agree.gif This is the only way it can be done.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 29 2017, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 28 2017, 03:32 PM) *

agree.gif This is the only way it can be done.

Thanks for all the input. The car is a '75 and fuel pump is in the stock location. Plan B is to put a second blister pack on the passenger side
Kansas 914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 28 2017, 11:57 AM) *

But what if the first pump in line died. I don't think the second pump wouldn't suck it from the first. Hence parallel. Plus you could add an A/B switch - more electrical goodies for Jim!
jim_hoyland
Parellel it is... smile.gif
effutuo101
Parallel with check valves is the way to go. They start at $10 and go up from there.
Rand
We've established that it should be parallel. I still haven't figured out why all of this? I've never had a fuel pump failure, so I wouldn't put this much effort into a redundant system on a part that rarely fails. We can't just build redundant failover backup systems all throughout our cars. Making adjustments to the critical systems and interfaces that would make them easier to swap out in case of failure, that I'd get.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 29 2017, 01:32 PM) *

Thanks for all the input. The car is a '75 and fuel pump is in the stock location.

If that is the case, the pump is dying or the electrical connections are intermittent. Fix the problem rather than band-aiding it with the extra complexity of dual fuel pumps.

--DD
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 29 2017, 07:35 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 29 2017, 01:32 PM) *

Thanks for all the input. The car is a '75 and fuel pump is in the stock location.

If that is the case, the pump is dying or the electrical connections are intermittent. Fix the problem rather than band-aiding it with the extra complexity of dual fuel pumps.

--DD

Keep is simple Jim. Two fuel pumps doubles your chances of a fuel pump failure. biggrin.gif If you're looking for a project, why don't you buy another car to work on. Make it as nice as the one you have now. That should fill your days for awhile. welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif laugh.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 29 2017, 10:32 PM) *

We've established that it should be parallel. I still haven't figured out why all of this? I've never had a fuel pump failure, so I wouldn't put this much effort into a redundant system on a part that rarely fails. We can't just build redundant failover backup systems all throughout our cars. Making adjustments to the critical systems and interfaces that would make them easier to swap out in case of failure, that I'd get.

Duh.... don't you know 914's fly! confused24.gif
It's an FAA requirement.
laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.