Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cutting up parts cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I'm tired of looking at my parts cars. No one on here wanted to buy them even at less than scrap prices so it's time to pull the parts and cut out the good panels to add to my hoard. Maybe I'll go to Hershey next year.. laugh.gif

Is there a general guideline out there on where to make cuts?

I guess a sawzall is still the cleanest way?

ThePaintedMan
Got anymore motors sitting in any of them? biggrin.gif poke.gif

The one that came out of the pink princess is still running strong!
mepstein
Don't save them or the parts for hershey, it's still fun but sales are tanking. Half the vendor spots were empty this year.

Buy the heavy metal sawsall blades. They cost a couple dollars more but last 10X longer. It's a lot of work to cut up a car so cut out parts that you might need.

Before you start cutting, remember, it's a lot of work. You might want to give the second car away after you cut up the first one.
Andyrew
A 14" blade made quick work of one I cut up a long time ago, but a sawzall really is all you need. Just load up on quality blades and a quality sawzall and you'll be good.

Long blades are the lifesaver.
billh1963
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 28 2017, 05:15 PM) *

Got anymore motors sitting in any of them? biggrin.gif poke.gif

The one that came out of the pink princess is still running strong!

Only one deal of a lifetime per customer beer.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 28 2017, 05:39 PM) *

Don't save them or the parts for hershey, it's still fun but sales are tanking. Half the vendor spots were empty this year.

Buy the heavy metal sawsall blades. They cost a couple dollars more but last 10X longer. It's a lot of work to cut up a car so cut out parts that you might need.

Before you start cutting, remember, it's a lot of work. You might want to give the second car away after you cut up the first one.

I've heard that Hershey is headed towards becoming more of a car show than a swap meet. Wish I had gone there in the "old days"

The plan is to only cut panels worth saving. One car has a very nice front trunk pan. Another has good rear quarters. All are rusty but don't appear to have been hit.
billh1963
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 28 2017, 06:09 PM) *

A 14" blade made quick work of one I cut up a long time ago, but a sawzall really is all you need. Just load up on quality blades and a quality sawzall and you'll be good.

Long blades are the lifesaver.

Sounds like a sawzall is the preferred method! Thank you
914Sixer
If you have to buy a sawzall make sure you get the largest motor available. Get it with the 5 or 6 amp motor. The cheap ones burn up QUICKLY. I know that to be a fact.
bdstone914
A good Sazall, good selection of blades from 3" to 12", a 4" angle grinder, BFH and chisel are my main tools for cutting up cars.
It is a very time consuming process. Often spend an hour to remove enough parts to get to the part to cut out.
There is value to most parts if you have the time and place to store them. I always question how much a part is worth if it takes me 1-2 hours to cut out. I think I have sold almost every body section off of a 914 over the years. Every time I think a section has no value and scrap it some one want that part.
At some point you make a decision on how much $$ your really want back, How much time it is worth and make a decision. If you post pictures of the car I can tell you what will sell and what are the money parts.
I hate to waste any parts of a 914. I know, I have hoarding issues. And proud of it too.
Bruce
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 29 2017, 08:33 AM) *

I hate to waste any parts of a 914. I know, I have hoarding issues. And proud of it too.
Bruce

You and me both. laugh.gif
914werke
['mepstein' date='Apr 28 2017, 02:39 ]

['bdstone914' date='Apr 29 2017, 06:33 AM' ]
A good Sazall, good selection of blades from 3" to 12", a 4" angle grinder, BFH and chisel are my main tools for cutting up cars. It is a very time consuming process. Often spend an hour to remove enough parts to get to the part to cut out.
There is value to most parts if you have the time and place to store them. I always question how much a part is worth if it takes me 1-2 hours to cut out. I think I have sold almost every body section off of a 914 over the years. Every time I think a section has no value and scrap it some one want that part. At some point you make a decision on how much $$ your really want back, How much time it is worth and make a decision. I hate to waste any parts of a 914. I know, I have hoarding issues. And proud of it too. Bruce

['Garold Shaffer' date='Apr 29 2017, 01:15 PM'] You and me both. laugh.gif

+1 agree.gif although on some pieces (the tunnels come to mind) the time to get it out complete seems to exceed what you could logically charge for it, I know there are eventually folks who need them and are prepared to pony up the $$.
I would add a Plasma cutter to the tool list but it is a luxury and is only beneficial where Air is available.
Unobtanium-inc
I've cut up my share of cars and you can do pretty everything with a Sawzall, but it helps to have an air powered Zitz wheel too. The best advice I can give is car bodies are like people bodies, cut the skin first and then cut at the joints. This usually leaves you with manageable pieces but cuts down on the cutting. Oh, and eye and ear protection.
Good luck!
Andyrew
I second eye and ear protection.

And double up on ear protection, like ear plugs then muffs. Your going to be going at it for a long time. You WANT to be comphy.

Big leather welding gloves help as well as everything you touch should be assumed to be sharp or near something sharp.
billh1963
At this point I think I'm just going to pick a few of the nicer bits off them (like gauges, an original radio, one good bumper, etc.) and scrap the three. I already have a parts hoard and don't need to add to it.

Why spend hours of time salvaging old parts that have little value and no one wants? sawzall-smiley.gif
mepstein
I gave one of my shells to Paul P / 914itis. He gave it to his brother to replace a shell that was worse than mine, his brother fixed the rust, painted, then built up the car with parts from his broken shell and is now driving it. Are any of yours salvageable to someone who likes to weld?
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 30 2017, 11:32 AM) *

I gave one of my shells to Paul P / 914itis. He gave it to his brother to replace a shell that was worse than mine, his brother fixed the rust, painted, then built up the car with parts from his broken shell and is now driving it. Are any of yours salvageable to someone who likes to weld?

No...these are all too far gone. Some panels are very good and the cars would make good donors. As far as being restorable...no
Mitox
Here is a pic of the firewall section I'm looking for. Thanks for checking.

Michael

Click to view attachment
arkitect
Any good shape wire Harness? Mine is all hacked up and needs replacing.

Dave sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.