Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring power to a stereo unit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I have two wires that I need to hook up... red and yellow.

The red wire is tagged "IGNITION".

The yellow wire is tagged "POWER". (I'm assuming constant power.)

I want to hook these into the existing fuse panel... no running wires back to the starter or battery or whatever. That almost always ends up looking like a hack job.

Which terminals on the fuse panel should I put these into?

thanks,
Rusty smoke.gif
scotty914
i would recommend hooking them to the hot side of any constant fuse. the reason i say to use one that is hot all the time is you dont want to have somebody turn the key on to listen to the radio with out starting it, that way you wont blow up you coil.

basicly drop the fuse panel and hook both wires to any fuse that makes the lights on the radio turn on. then just use the power button to turn it off or in my case pull the face plate
Rusty
Thanks, Scott... That's probably a better solution.

-Rusty smoke.gif
aircooledboy
Hey Rusty,

Couple things: I just did this last weekend as well. If you go to your FLAPS, they will have piggy-back adapters, that allow you to turn one male slide connector into 2 male slide connectors. That allows you to just use a test light to find the tabs on the fuse panel that are either always hot or just hot when the ignition is on, pull the existing connector off the fuse panel, slip the piggy back on, then connnect the original wire AND your stereo wire to the same tab on the fuse panel.

The other thing I did was to run a wire from an "always-on" terminal on my fuse panel to a small toggle switch which I put into one of the 2 holes on the bottom of the lower dash pad under the steering wheel, then from the switch into the same crimp tube which goes to the "ignition-on" wire leading to the stereo. Now I have a hidden switch that lets me turn on my stereo when the car is not running without the risk of burning anything up in the ignition. beerchug.gif
McMark
IIRC, 9 for red and 12 for yellow.

Just looked at the wiring diagram and am sure on those.
McMark
Also, since you are extending wires, extend the ground wire as well and bring it over to the stock ground stud that's behind the fuse panel. Hook your long red, yellow, black wires in the same clips that hold the stock wiring harness in the dash for a stock, out-of-the-way look.
That's exactly how I did it when I added a cd changer, and it's worked fine, I forget which tab I used, I think I tried a few until I found one that stayed live. It works great just don't forget to turn off the radio when you leave the car!
CptTripps
I'm doing the same thing this week. I'll be running power and all the speaker wire so when I get it back from paint, I'll be able to hook everything up.

I've als got Engman's new fuse panel. I want to make sure everything works BEFORE I go tearing into a fuse panel!

Take pics so we all know what it looks like when you are done!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.