Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got tired of holding the gas pump nozzle..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
While refueling my 914 for the last 20 years, I have had to hold the gas pump nozzle anti vapor ring up while pumping the gas in because the pump nozzles don't go into the tank far enough. I finally cut a ring of tubing (almost any kind will work) and attached it with a chain near the tank. Here's a pic of the ring and attachment, how it goes on the tank, and the pump in it. The inside diameter of the ring must be greater than 1 5/8 inches and no larger OD than 2 1/2 inches, and the length should be between 1/2 and 5/8 of an inch to space the pump nozzle properly. It's so nice to put the nozzle in now and click it on till the tank is full!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ljubodraz
Must be a California thing. blink.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(ljubodraz @ Apr 28 2017, 09:37 PM) *

Must be a California thing. blink.gif

Yup, Vapor recovery.
colingreene
I dont actually think its a bad idea though.
MartyYeoman
Brilliant!!
Krieger
I like this a lot! This problem is annoying. I think I will just keep the spacer on the floor of the trunk though. first.gif
forrestkhaag
I wonder if Mikey has seen this.................. It could be made to fit inside of the filler neck to avoid spillage which Jerry will have you arrested for...... sheeplove.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Another reason to not live in California.
stevend914
QUOTE(colingreene @ Apr 29 2017, 12:13 AM) *

I dont actually think its a bad idea though.

agree.gif

Every time I fill up I have to readjust the nozzle so it won't trip off. Definitely making one of these.
bdstone914
Porsche has a "fix" for the later 911's that have frequent problems with vapor valve malfunction. It is a ring like the above with notches around the top edge to let the vapor escape and defeat the recovery. They sell it at half the price of the correct piece with no notches.
Maybe I should report them to CARB and EPA. idea.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Apr 29 2017, 12:51 PM) *

I wonder if Mikey has seen this.................. It could be made to fit inside of the filler neck to avoid spillage which Jerry will have you arrested for...... sheeplove.gif

I think this only applies to later cars with the plastic expansion tanks. I wonder if selling a part like this would require CARB compliance ?
Mark Henry
Won't work here as all self serve pumps don't have the trigger locks, so you have to hold it the whole time anyways.
Except for Costco, for some reason they all have trigger locks. I guess they figure you smart enough to buy gas there you're smart enough to figure out a trigger lock.

We buy gas from Costco often, .02-.09 cents cheaper plus 2 % on the card.
Mike Bellis
I don't drive mine enough for this to bother me. Problem is the automatic shut off will kick in when the tank reaches around 10 gallons. Then I have to pull back the vapor recovery corrugated part to top off the tank. Right no I do this 3-4 times a year (at my present rate of use).

I think this is neat and corny at the same time...
oakdalecurtis
My tank holds more than 10 gallons??? My teener runs so good now that I have been driving it a lot more. And the weather is finally better now too. And I'm lazy when I can be. piratenanner.gif
stevend914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 30 2017, 10:18 AM) *

I don't drive mine enough for this to bother me. Problem is the automatic shut off will kick in when the tank reaches around 10 gallons. Then I have to pull back the vapor recovery corrugated part to top off the tank. Right no I do this 3-4 times a year (at my present rate of use).

I think this is neat and corny at the same time...

I filled up 16 times from March 22 thru April 8 and expect the same in May/June when I go to NM/WCR/CO.
Krieger
Okay Curtis, I'm in for a group buy on the rubber.
ConeDodger
A solution to a problem I don't really have. But cool...
dlkawashima
I think this problem mainly exists on the later tanks ...

I don't have a problem with the '73 as you can see by the picture below, but with the '75 I do have to hold the nozzle while filling. Thanks for the tip!
Click to view attachment
shoguneagle
Like the idea. What type of rubber, diameter, and length did you use? It appears the length of the hose could help to or prevent the pump handle from shutting off prior complete fill up. What about the rubber standing to the fuel?

I am thinking of using wire enforced, hydraulic pressure lines. Only if the diameter ls large enough for the tank filler opening.
SirAndy
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 30 2017, 07:02 AM) *

Another reason to not live in California.

You are free to inhale gas fumes, i for one like my brain without benzene and toluene.
rolleyes.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Apr 30 2017, 05:49 PM) *

Like the idea. What type of rubber, diameter, and length did you use? It appears the length of the hose could help to or prevent the pump handle from shutting off prior complete fill up. What about the rubber standing to the fuel?

I am thinking of using wire enforced, hydraulic pressure lines. Only if the diameter ls large enough for the tank filler opening.

Check my original post, has specs you want. I used a piece of scrap rubber tubing I had, but any kind of tubing should work, pvc, abs, rubber. It doesn't get gas on it much if careful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.