Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear swaybar bushing R&R
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Okay... What's the secret to install the white Weltmeister poly cup bushings to replace the stock crumbling rear swaybar bushings?

Oh, and I can tell you how NOT to remove a link. That thing snapped like a bra strap in the 6th grade. Gotta hit the classifieds to find someone with a used one. mad.gif
MattR
Aaron is da master. He did a set in like 5 minutes or something at scott's house. But the trick is: heat it up, then bang it in. Make sure you get them both in the right orientation. I cant imagine how frusturating it would be to have to take one out beacuse its not in right...
Rusty
Aaron and I talked about it last month... but I already had a six-pack of mexican beer by that point. biggrin.gif

That gets it into the link. I can boil them in the kitchen, and use a mallet on the counter to pound them in.

Then... putting the links in place is just more application of a BFH?
MattR
Ohh, we discovered a new trick that makes live much easier. Get the links on the bar first (with channel locks outside the car). Then get it set into place. Get a big 2x4, prop it against something, and bang the shit out of it. It works like a charm!
Aaron Cox
i am the master. for only 19.95 or a 12 pack i will R and R your links, paint them satin black and send them on there way......

heat gun. get the bushing NICE and plyable...... hot to the touch. have the open end facing up.... get the link, set it on.... step/hit with mallet.

or put the link on the ground, put the open side uf bushing facing down, and use a screwdriver to get the 'lips' past the opening on the link....then step/hit with a mallet...

call if you have a prob wink.gif
SLITS
Grease, socket and bench vise......................

Technology wins over the Neandethral (?) approach anyday.....engineers HAH lol2.gif
RustyWa
I used a large c-clamp and squeezed them in. At least that's how I remember. Put them on to the large shock bolts, then install the bolts and THEN attach them to the bar, again with the c-clamp. A pickle fork works real good to remove them.

Are we talking about the same thing...?

Oh come to think of it....the bushings were already in the links.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ May 9 2005, 11:58 AM)
Grease, socket and bench vise......................

Technology wins over the Neandethral (?) approach anyday.....engineers HAH lol2.gif

yup. socket was used too.......

neanderthal. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
MattR
Aaron with a torch... priceless.
Rusty
A socket for what??

The shock bolts are already in place and snug. Do I need to pull them off again?
SirAndy
QUOTE (SLITS @ May 9 2005, 10:58 AM)
Grease, socket and bench vise

agree.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Lawrence @ May 9 2005, 11:09 AM)
A socket for what??

The shock bolts are already in place and snug. Do I need to pull them off again?

so you don't fuck up your bushing ...

no need to pull the shock bolts ...
wink.gif Andy
Rusty
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 9 2005, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (Lawrence @ May 9 2005, 11:09 AM)
A socket for what??

so you don't fuck up your bushing ...

I'm trying to picture this... I use the socket for what, specifically?
MattR
Put the socket in between the bushing and the hammer.
Aaron Cox
or a piece of wood....
Aaron Cox
think with your BIG head rusty biggrin.gif
Rusty
Ahhh... okay. Got it.

That's why I use 2x4. I'll beat the hell out of my fingers using a socket. It's funny how much bigger fingers seem to get when I pick up a hammer. smash.gif
Eric_Shea
Grease. Vise. Make sure the openend is going "into" the drop link witout any kinks and press them in.

I used a rubber mallet once the bar was in the car. The rubber mallet against the back of the drop link and it pops right on there. Grease the cup (I use Mobil 1 synthetic).
Rusty
I heard horror stories about how bad these were. It's not really a bad job. They popped right in after getting them into hot water. Oh, and I welded the drop link back together. Seems to be just fine. smile.gif

Glad to know it's done. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.